Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Intermittant slight clunk from clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2002, 10:40 AM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

On my MY00 (23k miles) Ive been getting a strange movement from my clutch pedal for the last 3-4k miles.

This is an intermittant problem but it feels like the pedal 'drops' very slightly when you press the pedal down. It also on occasion makes a 'clonk' noise too.

My dealer said they had never had this problem and reckoned it was some pins holding the pedal in place. They've lubed these (well the car stannk of WD40 when I picked it up!) and told me all was well but it still happens.

It sort of feels like a groove on a shaft which the pedal rotates on and occasionally drops in to but the dealer tells me this isnt how it works...

Anyone had this and know of a fix?

Cheers, Jon.

Old 03 January 2002, 10:47 AM
Nowucme
Scooby Regular

Quite a few of us have experienced the very same problem. Mine hasn't done it now for a couple of thousand miles so fingers crossed...

There was a thread on this a few weeks/months ago that I'm sure someone will post the link to.

I don't think its anything serious just annoying!
Old 03 January 2002, 10:49 AM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Yep it is indeed annoying...!

Link would be very handy if anyones got it, cheers, Jon.
Old 03 January 2002, 10:50 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

I had the same problem. Beechdale in Nottingham (my local dealer) sorted it for me.

The clutch pedal needed a whole new set of bushes and a new spring. The others had worn away a bit and I think the spring wasn't sitting properly.

Has been fine since I had it done. I would post the url to my previous thread but search is offline at the moment.
Old 03 January 2002, 10:55 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ok, had a quick search (the long trawling method ) and the original thread is here http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=15128.

Hope you get it sorted chaps
Old 03 January 2002, 11:15 AM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Hanslow, Cheers for that!

Are these bushes and spring on the shaft that the clutch pedal pivots on then?

Any idea of the cost of having this fixed as I'll be paying for this myself?

Jon.
Old 03 January 2002, 11:21 AM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Im not sure on the logic of moving this topic here as this isnt a dealer or thrid party problem its a fault with the clutch pedal... which is a technical fault, no?!

Jon.
Old 03 January 2002, 11:23 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think they are on the pivot and the spring is connected to the pedal (though I ain't sure...I've only had a quick look myself).

Not sure on cost as dealer did it under warranty. Wouldn't have thought it would be too much though, for a few bits of plastic, a spring and a 15 minute job.

You could always ring Beechdale in Notts and ask? Tim Bowman is the service manager and he has dealt with my car on most occasions. Give him my name (Steve Hanslow) mention the problem, and he might be able to estimate a cost. Or just try your local dealer for a quote on changing the bushes and spring. Beechdale should have the details of what exactly they changed anyway.

Cheers

Edit : Agree with your comments on the moving of this...would have thought it would at least end up in technical section

[Edited by Hanslow - 03/01/2002 11:25:25]
Old 03 January 2002, 11:27 AM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Cheers Steve, Thats great news, tho i doubt the few bit of plastic and spring you mention will be cheap but this fault is really bugging me (it takes away some of the enjoyment of the car i feel) so I need to get it done...

Cheers again for your help, Jon.
Old 03 January 2002, 01:55 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Jon,

If it doesn't turn out to be the bushes etc., get your dealer to check the bolts holding the pedal box assembly in.

My MY98 saloon had a 'jerky' clutch pedal action that was getting worse and when I mentioned it to the dealer (Lancaster, near Reading) they said straightaway: 'loose pedal box - we've had a few of those'.

Quick application of spanner by one of their mechanics and no more jumping pedal.

Just a thought that might save you a few quid in bushes etc.

Cheers,
Steve