Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

The Wizards Of ZEN

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2007, 11:02 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up The Wizards Of ZEN

Thank You very much for transforming my brother's STI 3 RA.

After the big ends went on the car we were stuck in a predicament... Who should rebuild it? Shall we get a strengthened 2.0? 2.33? 2.5?? A decision that many before have had to come across in the past, no doubt.

The telephone calls began. After phoning several reputable subaru tuners, Paul's advise and quote stood out a mile....The mission was to build a car focused on Fast road use, yet if put on a track it would be able to perform as well as any other.

The result was a 2.5L tyre burning RA...

The car was built with the greatest of knowledge and we were well informed at all times by Paul, Tim, and Derek. Their Knowledge is immense and will always point you in the best direction for your needs, rather than the most expensive solution....

The car was finally mapped with an Apexi PFC today and it is ....
Even with just a VF23 all 4 tyres light up in 1st. With a peak boost of 1.3 bar, and full boost quicker than you can say "drag", it really feels like an animal....

Cannot wait until the Garret comes....

Paul, Tim, and Liz,

Never too busy to help, and will always provide a paramount service.

I cannot recommend them enough.
Old 01 February 2007, 11:06 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

i agree... got my 06 mapped there last friday!!!!!
Old 02 February 2007, 10:00 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

yep so did i this week ..... he is good for no BS advise
Old 06 February 2007, 02:24 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Once Again Zen Performance have outdone themselves.

A couple of weeks after my brother's car was given in for a rebuild, i decided to move up to the next stage myself. My base car was also a STI3 RA, however mine had previously had some treatment from Andy F and was already in the region of 350 bhp...
My upgrades consisted of an 18g, 550cc's, STI8 Topmount, AVC-R and a bit more magic from Andy F. The parts were all fitted by Zen apart from the intercooler for which time was a constraint. After Andy had worked his magic the car was flying (1.5 bar midrange), BUT the headgasket couldn't take the pressure and started leaking.

The car was taken to Zen who on inspection found that there was some blowback on the pistons and the rods were worn pretty bad. After talking through the options with Paul I decided to strengthen the 2.0l with some Wiseco Pistons, stronger rods and bearings. The price quoted was such great value for money compared to other reputable tuners.....

After the gruelling runnning in period I returned yesterday to complete the fitting of the intercooler and the tweak of the map. Paul was great, running around all day to ensure that the intercooler was welded correctly to allow it to fit. After two visits out to get the intercooler welded, Paul returned triumphantly with the modified intercooler. With a bit of modifying of the brackets, Tim and Paul managed to fit it in perfectly....

It was now mapping time....

With the strengthened internals we were looking for a midrange of about 1.7/8 dropping to 1.5ish..... It could have been higher if i had opted for a frontmount. The result was a car with so much mid range shove that you get spin in 3rd gear

To say the car pulls like a train is an understatement.. It is Frighteningly Fast...

We started with a few test runs slowly touching up the boost each time. Knowing that we were going to push the car quite hard, Paul quietly turned up the DCCD, even with the DCCD a notch up, the car snaked as it tried to get the full 1.7ish bar of boost to all four wheels. With the car now eminating a sound reminiscent of a Jet engine preparing for take off, paired with the sheer exhilarating acceleration we made our way back to the garage. Mission complete..

I haven't yet taken the car over 7k rpm, there just hasn't been a need to, it seems to pull so hard that you just feel a need to change gear, in case the car takes off...

With a peak boost of 1.84 bar on the way home last night, I just gotta say if you want a fast car, there is only one place to go....
Old 06 February 2007, 03:20 PM
billsandhu
Scooby Regular

Sounds like exactly what i want to do. I have a very similar set up, (all done by Zen btw) but on a uk engine. How much power do you think you are running, and is it a world apart running 1.7/1.8 bar to what you had before?

I think the time maybe nearing, credit card at the ready for an engine build.
Old 06 February 2007, 04:19 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billsandhu
Sounds like exactly what i want to do. I have a very similar set up, (all done by Zen btw) but on a uk engine. How much power do you think you are running, and is it a world apart running 1.7/1.8 bar to what you had before?

I think the time maybe nearing, credit card at the ready for an engine build.
1.7/8 Bar is a totally different ball game.....especially with RA gearing.... Concentration levels must be at a higher level and both hands firmly gripped to the wheel..

My credit card is just beginnning to recover...But the PPG is calling soon
Old 07 February 2007, 12:00 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Always a pleasure doing business with you lads

You know where we are, just say the word

Liz @ Zen