Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

roof rack for MY01 saloon, where from please??

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2004, 08:19 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question roof rack for MY01 saloon, where from please??

As above, do halfords sell them?
Really need to get hold of one tomorrow, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rob.
Old 01 July 2004, 09:07 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob oneill
As above, do halfords sell them?
Really need to get hold of one tomorrow, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rob.

halfords do sell thurle ones thou not always in stock. about a ton all i think

simon
Old 01 July 2004, 11:42 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
halfords do sell thurle ones thou not always in stock. about a ton all i think

simon
OK, thanks simon
Old 02 July 2004, 09:33 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Just as a warning I have one, and the fitting is a nightmare! I got the dealer to do mine and they said it took ages.

On the roof of the car there are a couple of channels, covered by a sprung metal filler.

You get four clips which have to be attached to the channel, without breaking the filler preferably! It is not easy!

However once those clips are fitted the roof rack just clips on and off, and is easy, takes about 30 seconds.

However you will find a lot of people asking what the little clips on the roof are for!
Old 02 July 2004, 10:21 AM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
Just as a warning I have one, and the fitting is a nightmare! I got the dealer to do mine and they said it took ages.

On the roof of the car there are a couple of channels, covered by a sprung metal filler.

You get four clips which have to be attached to the channel, without breaking the filler preferably! It is not easy!

However once those clips are fitted the roof rack just clips on and off, and is easy, takes about 30 seconds.

However you will find a lot of people asking what the little clips on the roof are for!
OK, thanks Chris, sound advice.
Old 09 August 2004, 11:55 AM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31

Hi Mate

Hope you can help me with this one...

You mention the little clips that are permanently on the roof, what amount of clip is showing when the load carrier is taken off?

If you have some pictures of your car with the carrier on and off the car, that you could post here, or email me, that would be fantastic.

I am thinking seriously about the Subaru load carrier, and the cycle rack attachment, but having just had a chat with my dealer, he mentioned that the two roof channel black protection strips have to be cut for the four mountings to be fitted to the car. Is this true in your case?

Many Thanks
Simon
Old 09 August 2004, 01:05 PM
warbs
Scooby Regular

I've got the Thule system on mine, with paddy hopkirk inverted bike carriers.

The Thule system for my wife's BMW 3 series is excellent - but the feet for the Subaru MY01 saloon are truly awful. They do fit, just not as well as the "Rapid Fit" system.

The feet seriously interfere with the windows, to the extent that if you weren't careful you could smash a window!

cheers

Chris
Old 09 August 2004, 01:16 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Cheers Chris,

So your saying, forget the Thule system then....?

I am interested in the simplest fitting and removal solution, with the least amount of visibility when the bars are not on the car. Not impressed with what the dealer told me this morning, re. cutting my gutter trims...

If I have to, i'll be looking to buy some spare gutter strips so as not to destroy the originals...

Cheers
Simon
Old 09 August 2004, 08:05 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Wink Roof mount pics

I just bought a set of Subaru roof bars off a fellow scoobynetter on eBay and set about fitting them over the weekend on my MY03. What a pallaver but once you know how, it is quite simple - like most things in life! The plastic strip along the gutter does not need to be cut or removed permanently. You do have to raise the strip in order to fit the mounting brackets to the fixed mountings hidden under the strip.

It is difficult to describe the removal of the strip exercise but the strip is secured to the roof channel by five or so plastic clips that simply slide like a small car on a track underneath the strip. You have to get a screwdriver (heavily covered with tape so as not to scratch the paint) and put it in front of the clip underneath the strip and push the clip back towards the boot (IIRC). An inch movement does it. Do this to four or five of the clips and you will have unfettered access to secure your clips to the roof. I have taken some pics this evening as they are mounted awaiting foofbox additon on Friday! The

Hope this helps someone.

Jerome

Old 11 August 2004, 08:39 AM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry for the delay....

Thanks for that Jermome, that is much appreciated.

I am still undecided on whether or not I could cope with the little lugs that are permanently on show. Maybe if I paint them up in WR Blue first, that might be acceptable

I am thinking about one of those Thule systems that attaches to the rear of the car where the tow bar would go if fitted. Presume with this sort of system i'd be able to remove and leave just a small bar poking out of the rear of the car. Does anyone have experience with this sort of bike carrier on their Scoob?

Thanks again.

Simon
Old 13 August 2004, 09:36 PM
warbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by YorkshireSimon
Cheers Chris,

So your saying, forget the Thule system then....?

I am interested in the simplest fitting and removal solution, with the least amount of visibility when the bars are not on the car. Not impressed with what the dealer told me this morning, re. cutting my gutter trims...

If I have to, i'll be looking to buy some spare gutter strips so as not to destroy the originals...

Cheers
Simon
Sorry would have replied to this sooner if I'd noticed it....once upon a time I checked Scoobynet more than once a day - lucky if it's once a week now - I think that says a lot - but that's another story!

No don't forget the thule system - just be aware it 'may' not be ideal. The idea of the thule system is it's modular - so you can change the feet only and all your roof rack accessories (bike carriers, luggage carriers, granny carriers etc) fit a completely different car. This is good for me, sometimes it's on my car other times my Wifes car.

This only works properly though if the two bars that go across the roof are the same distance apart on the two cars. On a 3 series BMW and a Scoob this is not the case so you have to compromise for each car otherwise you end up adjusting absolutely everything if you move between cars.

The compromise on the Scoob seems to be that the feet sit to far forward at the front and too far back at the back - which means because there is no door frame, like on a BMW, the feet then interfere with the windows.

Judging by the sticky-up things in the photo's on this thread I think I made the right choice, just dissapointed with the fit on the Scoob.

Maybe if I pushed the bars closer together the fit would be better.

Ultimately though - it takes two people 2 minutes to fit the Thule system, or 1 person and 4 towels 5 minutes!

(I've now subscribed to this thread so any more responses might be quicker!)

cheers

Chris
Old 16 August 2004, 11:47 AM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by warbs
Sorry would have replied to this sooner if I'd noticed it....once upon a time I checked Scoobynet more than once a day - lucky if it's once a week now - I think that says a lot - but that's another story!

No don't forget the thule system - just be aware it 'may' not be ideal. The idea of the thule system is it's modular - so you can change the feet only and all your roof rack accessories (bike carriers, luggage carriers, granny carriers etc) fit a completely different car. This is good for me, sometimes it's on my car other times my Wifes car.

This only works properly though if the two bars that go across the roof are the same distance apart on the two cars. On a 3 series BMW and a Scoob this is not the case so you have to compromise for each car otherwise you end up adjusting absolutely everything if you move between cars.

The compromise on the Scoob seems to be that the feet sit to far forward at the front and too far back at the back - which means because there is no door frame, like on a BMW, the feet then interfere with the windows.

Judging by the sticky-up things in the photo's on this thread I think I made the right choice, just dissapointed with the fit on the Scoob.

Maybe if I pushed the bars closer together the fit would be better.

Ultimately though - it takes two people 2 minutes to fit the Thule system, or 1 person and 4 towels 5 minutes!

(I've now subscribed to this thread so any more responses might be quicker!)

cheers

Chris
Cheers for the reply Chris....

Well, I went for the Thule system in the end. Took me 2 hours of careful instruction reading, measuring and car cleaning thoroughly. Have to say the system was very easy to install, if a little scary when first clamping down each of the feet.

Have to say mate, mine is just intended for the Scoob at this time, but like you see the appeal in the modular design and its ability to be used on another car for very little cost.

As regards the fitting of the front and rear feet, I have had no problems with glass clearance at all. I was very intrigued to see how this would work in the flesh, and on installation made a point of going round each door and inspecting clearances. I have to say that there is a good few millimeters of clearance on all 4 doors on mine, so I am closing all doors with confidence at the mo. Hopefully this will not change over time and after removal/refitting!

For now though, I am going to leave them on the car, as it is not being used massively for motorway mileage and the extra wind noise I have acquired is not too intrusive.

It does look very cool with the ProRide 591 bike carriers on too. I'll post back with some piccies of the the Cannondale' on the car, very nice indeed....

Cheers mate
Simon
Old 16 August 2004, 01:41 PM
warbs
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply Chris....

Well, I went for the Thule system in the end. Took me 2 hours of careful instruction reading, measuring and car cleaning thoroughly. Have to say the system was very easy to install, if a little scary when first clamping down each of the feet.

Have to say mate, mine is just intended for the Scoob at this time, but like you see the appeal in the modular design and its ability to be used on another car for very little cost.

As regards the fitting of the front and rear feet, I have had no problems with glass clearance at all. I was very intrigued to see how this would work in the flesh, and on installation made a point of going round each door and inspecting clearances. I have to say that there is a good few millimeters of clearance on all 4 doors on mine, so I am closing all doors with confidence at the mo. Hopefully this will not change over time and after removal/refitting!

For now though, I am going to leave them on the car, as it is not being used massively for motorway mileage and the extra wind noise I have acquired is not too intrusive.

It does look very cool with the ProRide 591 bike carriers on too. I'll post back with some piccies of the the Cannondale' on the car, very nice indeed....

Cheers mate
Simon

Simon,

Thanks for that, would you mind telling me what part numbers for the Thule bits you got? I would like to check that I've got the correct ones!

Also, if it's not too much bother, I had no fitting instructions with mine - so would you mind telling me what measurements on the bars etc, you're supposed to use with the feet? It sounds like yours fits a lot better than mine!

As for when you've got bikes on the roof - I frequently forget they're there and find my self having to slow down for corners - but the real killer is speed bumps - no matter what speed you hit them at the bikes go for major wobble!

Canondale's are pretty special aren't they? Currently I'm looking for a new hardtail upto £700 - Cindercone is favourite, but maybe a GT avalanche 0.0 or Merlin of some description.

cheers

Chris
Old 16 August 2004, 02:06 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Smile

Simon,

Thanks for that, would you mind telling me what part numbers for the Thule bits you got? I would like to check that I've got the correct ones!

Also, if it's not too much bother, I had no fitting instructions with mine - so would you mind telling me what measurements on the bars etc, you're supposed to use with the feet? It sounds like yours fits a lot better than mine!

As for when you've got bikes on the roof - I frequently forget they're there and find my self having to slow down for corners - but the real killer is speed bumps - no matter what speed you hit them at the bikes go for major wobble!

Canondale's are pretty special aren't they? Currently I'm looking for a new hardtail upto £700 - Cindercone is favourite, but maybe a GT avalanche 0.0 or Merlin of some description.

cheers

Chris
Hi Chris

Part numbers I got were:

861 Bars
750 Foot Pack
1210 Rapid Fit System (for MY01- scoob)
591 ProRide Carriers

If I recall correctly, the front leading edge of the front feet should be 170mm back from the front glass rubber surround. Then the rear bars are placed 650mm back from the front (distance is centre of the roof bar itself to the centre of the rear), which I hope makes sense. Using these instructions had no problems. Oh, don't know if you have these too, but the feet to bars measure is 35.5 at the front and 28.5 at the rear. The fronts were a bit odd in this respect, as this is the furthest the foot would slide, but when clamping down, the whole foot moves around 0.5 cm. Anyway, it did work out ok!

I have the destructions at home, so I will try and get them into some electronic format for you and email them across. I don't have a scanned but have a digital camera which I may be able to use to snap all the pages, reduce and put into some sort of Word document for you.

As for the movement, yes, quite scary for the first time. £3k+ worth of bikes on the roof, and an expensive spoiler to replace if it gets ripped off not a nice feeling for the first few miles. But after a drive over the Strines, with no real scares, all seems ok. Agree with you on the wobble factor! Lateral movement is quite high, although I am reliably informed that this is necessary to stop things "snapping!" LOL

Dale' are fantastic bikes, it has to be said. I went for the full sussy Scalpel 2000 this years model. Lovely ride with the handle bar controlled front and rear sussy lockouts...

Cheers
Simon
Old 17 August 2004, 01:19 PM
warbs
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris

Part numbers I got were:

861 Bars
750 Foot Pack
1210 Rapid Fit System (for MY01- scoob)
591 ProRide Carriers

<SNIP>
Thanks for all of that - looks like we've got different feet and adapters! Good news is the other set I've got for the BMW is based around the 750 foot pack - so just need a different set of adapters!

Unless you've already gone to the trouble don't worry about copying the instructions - the measurements are very useful.

Thanks for your advice, bike sounds v. nice too!

cheers

Chris
Old 17 August 2004, 01:27 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for all of that - looks like we've got different feet and adapters! Good news is the other set I've got for the BMW is based around the 750 foot pack - so just need a different set of adapters!

Unless you've already gone to the trouble don't worry about copying the instructions - the measurements are very useful.

Thanks for your advice, bike sounds v. nice too!

cheers

Chris
Did not get chance to copy the instructions last night, so will not bother for now. If you find you do need them tho, just let me know.

Cheers, bike is great, current weather up't north is naff.... Biking in rain is ok, biking through river rapids is scary....

Cheers
Simon