Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Scoobysport exhausts warranty question.

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2004, 12:46 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoobysport exhausts warranty question.

sorted out thank you

Last edited by RRH; 16 June 2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 16 June 2004, 01:04 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

I would go for the manufacturer, stainless steel is supposed to have a life time guarantee. If its rusted, something is seriously wrong somewhere when it was produced.
Old 16 June 2004, 01:08 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Hi RRH

I am really dissapointed to hear this. As long as it is the current scoobysport system, we will honour your warranty.

I have to say comments like "Must be a crap grade of stainless", are unwarranted, and do make it slightly less pleasing to go overboard to try to help you.

Having said that, if there is something wrong with your particular system, we'll put it right.

Please email me on simon@scoobysport.com and we'll sort it out.

All the best

Simon
Old 16 June 2004, 03:51 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Stainless steel (304 and 316 grades anyway) are very prone to corrosion from chloride attack. Guess what the council uses to treat our roads in winter...sodium chloride!

Steve
Old 16 June 2004, 05:59 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Guys

It is important to note the following :

1) This simply does not happen with the Janspeed manufactured scoobysport system, so this has caused quite a stir at janspeed.

2) We are honouring the warranty 100%

3) The stainless grade is absolutely top notch, and nothing else would ever be used on scoobysport products.

4) The only way this stainless can rust is if something like mild steel gets embedded into the metal.

5) RRH works at sheet metal fabrication company, so there is a possibility that the dust has got onto the system and caused the problem.. this is only speculation at this point obviously.

6) RRH is sending the back box to janspeed directly for the attention of the MD who is going to conduct a FULL investigation into the cause of the problem as this simply should not, and does not happen.

All the best

Simon
Old 16 June 2004, 06:28 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

You are quite right. Stainless steel does not rust.

The following is true for stainless steel however, not just exhausts (who ever makes them)!

Austinitic stainless corrodes in a chloride environment. Chlorides in indusy require PTFE lined, hastalloy or alloy 20 containment equipment.

Bad welding with a poor purge or too much heat can char stainless. This charing breaks down the protective oxide layer on stainless and leaves it open to chemical attack.

Chloride attack (again!) in areas of high stress in stainless at temperatures above 80deg can cause cracks which rapidily propagate. Such high stress areas are caused principly by welding.

Tiny flecks of carbon steel in stainless causes rust. We are so carefull in our fabrication shop that the stainless pipe and mild steel pipe is kept well apart. You have to be even more carefull with titanium

Not a dig Simon at Scoobysport in any way. It's a wonder stainless zausts last as long as they do!

Steve
Old 16 June 2004, 06:33 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Just a quick post to add thast Scoobysport and janspeed have both been extremely helpful and are to investigate / rectify the matter. It is important to note that the new Scoobysport is probably under no contractual obligation to do so.
Old 16 June 2004, 06:37 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Appreciate you clearing that up RRH.

As you can imagine, hearing something like this is of great concern to us and janspeed, so I promise we will report back to the community to let you know the findings.

All the best

Simon
Old 16 June 2004, 07:42 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Genuine question from a puzzled enquirer, if you have absolutely nothing to do with the " previous " Scoobysport, other than the purchase of the name, why honour their warranty? Not complaining, as I too have a Janspeed/Scoobysport exhaust fitted, and respect you for your decision on this, it's an impressive gesture toward promoting goodwill. Just seems odd that you made a point of distancing yourselves from the old S/S, when the initial announcement was made, only to take on their " problems " as it were, at a later date. If I've missed a thread that deals with this issue, apologies for raising it again. Not meant to be regarded as a loaded question, as I said, genuinely baffled.
Old 16 June 2004, 07:49 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Hi micared

I completely understand your puzzlement (is that a word?? ) as like many I have been on the end of some pretty shocking customer service even from people who DO have a legal obligation to solve it... but...

whilst we have nothing to do with the old scoobysport company.. we DO stand by the fact that the janspeed manufactured scoobysport system is the highest standard and quality you can buy for a scooby, so there is no way I'm going to see someone with, what is effectively - we assume at this point - exactly the same, system as we are producing right now.

In addition, I would personally feel pretty rough if this had happened to me, and as this just doesn't seem to be something that ever happens, I think we can stand a warranty claim for something that should last forever anyway.

In addition, I have spoken to janspeed and amidst their shock have completely supported me in the decision and will refund the cost price to us, so the only cost to us would be the retail margin.

... And finally, there is a strong chance that there is a reason other than manufacture faults (assuming still that it actually is the janspeed system) which has caused this. Of course, there might not be, but I sure as hell want to find out so we can solve it.

Cheers

Simon
Old 16 June 2004, 07:50 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

It might be because the new Scoobysport is now selling the old scoobysport exhaust system and is therefore in a better position to help. Just a theory.
Old 16 June 2004, 07:55 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Right

I'm off home now..

Will be getting pictures in the morning so will report back.

All the best

Simon
Old 16 June 2004, 08:15 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Simon, applaude your approach.
Old 16 June 2004, 09:34 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Bit of a bummer if you have the "old" (H&S) Scoobysport exhaust, unless H&S are honouring the guarantee themselves?
Old 17 June 2004, 07:06 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by carl
Bit of a bummer if you have the "old" (H&S) Scoobysport exhaust, unless H&S are honouring the guarantee themselves?

We will of coarse "Honour" the quarantee not that we hope you should need it .

Ian
Old 17 June 2004, 09:30 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Good show!

But this does serve as a warning -- "25 year" or "lifetime" guarantees are no good if the supplying company isn't around to honour them
Old 17 June 2004, 10:02 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

But this does serve as a warning -- "25 year" or "lifetime" guarantees are no good if the supplying company isn't around to honour them
No as Ian has said all teh OLD Scoobysport systems manufactured by themselves they honour their workmanship, same with the Janspeed systems......
Old 17 June 2004, 10:39 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I know:
New systems guaranteed by Scoobysport
Old systems guaranteed by H&S

I'm just making a general comment of caveat emptor for people buying from some of the smaller suppliers in the future.
Old 17 June 2004, 10:40 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular