Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Still in denial that this has happened

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2003, 10:09 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Bought a scoob at the end of March, 48000 on the clock, clean as a whistle inside and out, loved it. Anyway 6 weeks ago, it car died , so I called Subaru Assist. Long and the short of it is this:
Car was relayed to a dealer still covered under manufacturers warranty, I called them the same day to let them know it was coming in and gave them various numbers I could be contacted on. Was supplied a cover car for 48 hours by Subaru assist, and contacted the dealer where my car was and asked about a vehicle whilst mine was off the road. They (service department) told me it was not something they did, this sounded a little odd so I made a few calls to Subaru Assist, who put me in contact with International Motors. Finally spke to a lady in Customer services who gave me the name of the form the dealer required, her telephone number and fax number. I then called the dealer back and told them that they were responsible and passed all the details I had to them........3DAYS LATER I FINALLY GET A CAR.
I am still having to chase the dealer about repairs to my car and what the problem is, not once have they called me, I am told my big ends have gone and that the car is going to receive a new engine, it shuould be ready Friday. Friday comes and goes, no car. Tuesday morning the car rental company call me and inform me that am about to be charged 300quid as the dealer has not sent in an extension form...this goes on for 4 weeks, each Wednesday I am told the car will be ready Friday and each monday the rental company call me. Eventually my patencie runs out, I call International Motors and lose the plot on the phone, they ask me to leave it with them. I wait and wait, then finally call the repairers and ask to speak with the dealer principle, throughout our conversation he calls me Mr cannok (it's Cannon) and refers to my car as an EVO !!!!!!!! I call the service dept and tell them I am most displeased and want to know what is happening............"Nothing mate, we have not even looked at it yet" The car was still untouched in one peice, it is now with another dealer awaiting Subaru Warranty guys to inspect it.
Any suggestions as to who I should write too and what sort of compensation I should be looking for? My car will have been off the road for 7-8 weeks before I will get it back!!
Old 02 June 2003, 08:30 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

yhm
Old 02 June 2003, 10:08 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Wot a wunch of bankers.

Didn't realise it was that bad mate.
Old 02 June 2003, 10:21 AM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

lol and it still continuesbut that's gonna be another story !!!!
Old 02 June 2003, 12:29 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Question

Where is it now?
Old 02 June 2003, 12:38 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Well I would rather not give the dealers names out but there is an 'M' and an 'L' in the dealers name
Old 03 June 2003, 12:15 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Wink

That'll be Adams then LOL
Old 04 June 2003, 12:23 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

I'd ask them how they're going to make it up for you. In the interim also contact a consumer protection agency and get their input. I've had similar issues in the past locally (SA), unfortunately our consumer protection laws seem to be a little behind.
Old 04 June 2003, 07:07 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

actually the dealer is not responsible for a hire car, you should get the car from subaru assist then the dealer is able to extend the amount of time you need it for because they know how long it will take to repair your car. it's not up to the dealer to supply you with one.
Old 05 June 2003, 03:24 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Ian no its not ADAMS its name of a ciggarette just spelt differently :P
Old 05 June 2003, 04:16 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gossy spot the ""

And I know where it is cos I asked last night

[Edited by ian_sadler - 05/06/2003 16:16:45]
Old 05 June 2003, 06:34 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Angry

Scoobyboy,

As I have been made to understand it, the dealer applies to IM, who in turn use Mondial assist, it is however up to the dealer to send 'rental extension' forms to im, who then either approve or dissaprove the extended rental period. This particular Dealer has not as yet done this and I am currently looking at a 1500 quid bill from the rental company!!!

UPDATE

The dealer who now has my car was due to start work on it today..............LMFAO guess what? "We should be able to start looking at it next Tuesday"

Anyone fancy helping me draft a letter ?????
Old 09 June 2003, 11:14 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Question

Any more news?
Old 09 June 2003, 12:05 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gossy, would that be Wouldbime?
Old 09 June 2003, 04:25 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ian,
The car is still in one peice at the other dealers, what is more I have still not had an apology from the first shower of *@$%#
nothing, heard nothing, however have just finished letter to dealer/IM Group and a solicitor, so hopefully..........

Needless to say am at the point now where I don't really care if I ever see the car again, am fuming !!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 09 June 2003, 05:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Suggest you make sure your letter is factual and not emotional - it might prejudice IM/the garage against you. You are right to be annoyed, and I'd be fuming, but bear in mind these people still need to help you out.

If you want an independent eye cast over it, drop me a mail. I'm not legal/whatever but it might help to review it for emotion before you send it. Or it could be perfect as it stands

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 09 June 2003, 10:02 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

thats pretty much it bf i got confused when you called both i.m a dealer and the garage.
Old 10 June 2003, 07:16 AM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Chiark,

YHM.

Many thanks for the kind offer
Old 10 June 2003, 07:17 AM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Scoobyboy,

Sorry if i got my dealers and my IM groups a little mixed up.......
Old 10 June 2003, 08:41 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You've got mail back

Looking good
Old 10 June 2003, 08:09 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Old 12 June 2003, 07:11 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Got a call today from the dealer who sold me the car (not the ones repairing it) informing me I am getting a new short block and No4 Shells.....................can someone translate into plain english that a computer geek would understand?
Old 12 June 2003, 09:28 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

New short block = engine block bits without the heads and bottom bits IIRC. I'll ask David W, he'll know...

Shells - cylinder linings?

Old 17 June 2003, 10:01 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Question

So where you at now?
Old 17 June 2003, 05:39 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well the story goes like this:
With some very helpful input from Chiark (sp?) I crafted a letter that was sent to the dealer who forgot to mention after 4 weeks they were not working on my car. I also copied the dealership who sold me the car (because they have involved themselves on my behalf) and a gentleman at IM Group who also involved himself in my situation.
The car still remains in peices at the other dealership and as I found out today will probably remain that way for yet another "week or so" due to other commitments (but hey it in bits now and they know what they need to fix it, so that has to be an advance)
As for the letter which was sent a week ago..................it remains unanswered

Nearly forgot, my company provide me with a petrol card which has my reg on it, there is no way for me to claim business mileage so atm I am about 400 quid outta pocket

[Edited by Bottomfeeder - 6/17/2003 10:46:51 PM]
Old 18 June 2003, 12:02 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hence the reason for trying to ram raid a petrol pump?
Old 18 June 2003, 02:49 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

chiark

Shells usually big end bearings not "liners" m8

But if it was undrivable I'd be a little concerned that it might also need a regrind.
Old 18 June 2003, 05:11 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

LMAO....this just gets better, called the repairers today as they have not once bothered to call me to find out what is happening.......I have been told very casually that there is an oil pump and a couple of con rods on back order.....I did not have the heart to ask when they were expecting them
Old 19 June 2003, 10:12 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

Wink

edited cause of double posting

[Edited by Bottomfeeder - 19/06/2003 22:14:29]
Old 19 June 2003, 10:13 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

copy of the letter (edited bt Chiark) that was sent over a week ago to the offending dealership. To date I have yet to receive a reply !!!

I am writing to you regarding my recent experience of your dealership.
My car was delivered to your dealership’s service centre on Monday 28th April 2003 with apparently severe mechanical problems.
I contacted your service department on that day and introduced myself to Mr. X, explained what had happened, why the car had been sent to you (recommendation from the recovery company) and supplied him with my home, work and mobile telephone numbers which could be called anytime.
Over the following weeks (4 to be exact) I contacted Mr X at least 7 or 8 times, the first time was on Thursday 28th April to enquire as to what the problem was and how long he thought it was going to take to effect repairs. I was informed that the ‘big ends’ had ‘gone’ and I was looking at the end of the following week before the car would be ready. The following week I contacted Mr X on the Wednesday as I had not heard from him (after he promised to call me) and asked if I would be able to collect my car on the Friday.
I was told there had been some problems and it would not be ready, it should however be ok for next Friday. Again on the following Wednesday I contacted your service department, and was again informed that the car was not yet repaired. I decided to give your service dept one more week to effect the repairs to my car he had intoned were required. The following Tuesday I called, spoke to Mr X and was informed that no work had been carried out on my car due to staff problems. At this point I contacted International Motors and informed them of my situation.
I would also like to bring to your attention the following incident, When I first contacted Mr X I asked about a replacement car due to mine being covered by the original manufacturers warranty, I was categorically told that it was not the up to the dealer to provide me with alternative transport and that I should be speaking with Subaru Assist. I explained to Mr. X that I had already had a vehicle from them for 48hours and actually wanted a vehicle whilst mine was being repaired. Again I was told it was not something that Subaru did. I found this very hard to believe and spoke directly with Subaru Assist and then with International Motors who confirmed my suspicions that I was indeed entitled to a courtesy car.
I again called Mr X and told him of my findings, I was then amazed to hear that he was not aware of any such scheme! Again I spoke with International Motors and secured the details, telephone numbers, contact names and even the form title he would need to present me with a courtesy car. Whilst using the hire vehicle (supplied by Enterprise Car Rental in Watford) I started to receive regular calls from the hire office informing me that they had not been receiving extension requests to the original hire and recently I was called and told that £600.00 was about to be charged to my credit card!
As you can imagine I hastily contacted your service department, where I was told it was something I needed to speak to International Motors about as they were the ones responsible for approving extensions to rentals. It was during this phone call that I spoke with Mr. Y from International Motors Group and was informed that he was aware of my situation and was addressing it. During another conversation to International Motors one week later again due to the impending charge of £300 to my credit card, I was surprised to hear that my vehicle had been moved to another dealer, where it still resides after nearly two weeks still awaiting commencement of repairs.
In closing I feel I have been more than patient with your company, I have omitted to mention the way in which I was spoken to by your Service Department personnel, I have not mentioned the indifference with which I have been treated or the excuses used by your Service Department as to why my car sat in your car park for 4 weeks untouched. At no time did your company, the service department, a manager or even an administrator contact me to inform me of what was going on, I am astounded that I have not received an apology of any form from your company and even more astounded that the only apologies I have received have been from Bell and Colville and IM Group, neither of whom are responsible for this sorry affair.
I expected more from a Subaru franchised dealership, especially given their excellent ratings in JD Power surveys. I bought my car to drive it, not an inferior courtesy car, in the knowledge that I would be supported if something went wrong. This has not been my experience. I would like to know whether you feel I have been treated fairly and, if not, how you will address my complaint prior to seeing further advice.
I look forward to your response.

Quick Reply: Still in denial that this has happened