Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Dealer dispute over squeak (keep it clean)

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2003, 03:54 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

In this post I’m going to name the company that has got me angry and the reasons why. This does not inherently mean that this company is bad but that on this occasion they are not being particularly helpful IMHO. Don’t turn it into a slagging match or the mods will swoop

Now:

Grant and the boys at AWD in Perth fitted replacement rear brake pads to my car a number of months ago (about September time) and I had no problems with them whatsoever. At the start of December I took my car to Nobles in Pencuik for a service and following on from a previous front brake dispute they ran an eye over the entire braking system (rear included). Ever since that day the rear brakes have continuously squeaked at low speeds (<30mph). The squeak is very obvious and very annoying and I’ve seen people turning to look at the car because of it – frankly I’m embarrassed to drive it in town. I even find I’ll maintain 30mph or more just to stop it which clearly in not acceptable!!

I took it to Nobles who have said that it was dirty and they subsequently cleaned it. This didn’t work and when I phoned up to try and get things sorted they said that ‘non-standard’ mintex pads had been fitted to the rear and that these were the cause of the squeak and that I must replace these to stop it. What’s the deal with that? There wasn’t a problem until Nobles were ******* around with the brakes at the last service – not a single squeak or chirp since the day AWD fitted them!!! The brake squeak is revolution related as well…i.e…something is catching at a certain point on the disk/wheel and not all the way around.

What should I do? Are nobles just shunning responsibility? Does anyone in the Edinburgh area think they know what it is and how to stop it? Please help, I’m driving the car in anger at the moment and that isn’t good.

A very saxo.

Please don't get this locked with a nobles slagging match. State fact only please
Old 14 January 2003, 04:04 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

That bad ??

Why don't we head up to AWD at the weekend then?

AJ
Old 14 January 2003, 04:07 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

FACT: I took my old car to Nobles to have the front discs & pads replaced. The pads were Ferodo Ds somethings

Anyhow, a brake calliper magically seized up while they were doing it, and i found myself being offered a set of P1 brakes Thing is, they were over £100 over the price they quoted me the last time i enquired about that brake kit (i don't forget that kind of thing)

I told them no, and got them to put a 2nd hand 2 pot back on. They squeeked like ****! It don't mind squeeky brakes, but coincidence?

You decide

Old 14 January 2003, 04:08 PM
dan4
Scooby Regular

Just what I was going to suggest Amanda. If AWD did the original job, maybe they will be able to find what has changed since your visit to Nobles?
Old 14 January 2003, 04:12 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

SB - sure the disc's arent slightly warped and catching the pads ?

I know the garage concerned - and I have to say your story doesnt surprise me......

Good luck,

Gastro
Old 14 January 2003, 04:14 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'd welcome comments from the lads at AWD at this stage. I've got no beef with your work, but nobles claim the pad you fitted 'all do that' cause they are a harder compound. I fail to see how/why a brake should squeak when your not using it..i.e not braking or got the handbrake on
Old 14 January 2003, 04:16 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

A mate of mine has had issues with his rear brakes, this was achieved after he try to a hand-brake turn in his car, at low speed. Since then, hes had this 'orrible scretching.

Alternatively, I had some nasty brake squeaking recently, it turned out to be a stone jammed in the caliper. What with all the gritting at the mow, it might just be that...

Hope this helps, Alex
Old 14 January 2003, 04:22 PM
scoobyroof
Scooby Regular

I feel I must come to the defence of Nobles Brakes that are some 2000 miles old can develop squeaks etc due to a build up odf dust or more commonly by powerwashing inside the wheels thus removing the copperslip that is usually applied to the rear of the pads when they are fitted and no offence to AWD whom I beleive are excellent did they put the pads in dry? I doubt whether you could ever prove this one? Why did you not take the car back to AWD? sometimes different compounds can cause this problem, but to be fair to Nobles I doubt that they can be blamed. I would however suggest that if you are having no joy with the service Manager at Nobles that you ask to speak with Colin Noble who is a Motorsport Enthusiast and a very nice guy and I am sure he will try and resolve the situation. I would suggest that all the pads need is to be deglazed with sandpaper apply cpaslip on the edges and rear and I would think this will cure your problem. I hope this in some ways helps its got to be worth a try Cheers
Old 14 January 2003, 04:31 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Colin Noble who is a Motorsport Enthusiast
Whilst I'm sure in your opinion he is, I get the feeling Colin thinks I'm even younger than I actually am and that I should not be driving a scooby - looks down his nose a little. He also IMO takes advantage of my total lack of maintainance knowledge. I've spent £1000's at Nobles since I got the car in June, is it so much for them to sort out a squeak that they amlost certainly caused!

There is no way I'm going to blame AWD because they fitted the pads and they worked perfectly well until Nobles fiddled around with them
Old 14 January 2003, 04:36 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Nobles were the ones that told me by front brake pads and discs were knackered as well as my rears and that it would costs me £600 to fix.

They then said I could upgrade to Prodrive ones, but they wouldn't fit under my RB5 wheels and that I'd have to replace my wheels and tyres for a cool £800

BTW, I'm sure I've heard your car squeaking all the way to Livingston I'd be embarrassed with AJ in the car too

Seriously though, is it a constant squeak or just when the brakes are applied? My fronts do the same, but it's due to a build up of brake dust on the pads. Again, only happens when moving very slowly.

Stefan
Old 14 January 2003, 04:39 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Red face

Kenny

No offence to other peeps who have posted. Sure all advice is valid.

DO NOT GET DRAWN INTO THIS ONE . e-mail me or give me a call ASAP

Cheers
Old 14 January 2003, 04:39 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'd be embarrassed with AJ in the car too
In the huff now

AJ
Old 14 January 2003, 04:41 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

frankly I’m embarrassed to drive it in town
Scoobs are that bad

Now surely it can not be this obvious, but dont squeeky brakes mean that a 0.99p shim hasn't been put between the brake pads and caliper?
Old 14 January 2003, 04:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure Colin is a nice enough guy, but he seems to blow hot & cold. Sometimes he's really pleasent to deal with and goes out his way to sort problems, other times he can be a right pain in the @rse.

I usually deal direct with Derek and he's always been a top bloke.

Stefan
Old 14 January 2003, 04:45 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Well I have the same sqeaking problem as well. Its bloody annoying.
Me and me dad fit brembo front discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads, same pads on the back but kept the standard rear discs. So I'd say its the poo standard old discs that are the problem.

[Edited by Fantom - 1/14/2003 4:46:00 PM]
Old 14 January 2003, 04:49 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

They then said I could upgrade to Prodrive ones, but they wouldn't fit under my RB5 wheels and that I'd have to replace my wheels and tyres for a cool £800
They bloody do fit under the RB5 wheels - I've seen them! (we are talking the Prodrive/Alcon upgrade here? )

I have the squeak too. Only at low speeds after I've had the handbrake on. Mill Lane in Basingstoke replaced my rear discs and pads under warranty and it did it straight away after that. I went back and they regreased but it still did it. I thought it might wear away but nope - mentioned it last time I went for a service and was told they squeaked because I didn't do many miles - WTF??? do they think I'm stupid (bearing in mind it did it from the day they fitted them), and I'd hardly call 10k miles in my first year of ownership low miles [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Couldn't be bothered with them in the end so left it.

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 1/14/2003 4:51:01 PM]
Old 14 January 2003, 04:53 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)
Unhappy

I have had an intermitant "quiet" squeak from my rear offside
wheel at very low speeds (stops under breaking).
It only happens occasionaly.
When i popped it back to my dealers , it was as quiet as a mouse!
Bloody annoying.
Sorry to hi-jack your thread with my moan!
Greg.
Old 14 January 2003, 05:33 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Don't worry sipie. I have no intention of debating the merits of Nobles or even Colin himself. To me its as simple as this: I'm not happy. Colin - acting in the interests of his garage - feels that they are not responsible (fair enough, that's his job). I believe that they have adjusted something that has caused this squeak and simply want this determined/confirmed. If I can find a way to prove it was nobles and they can sort it then great The last thing I want to do is take it all the way to another garage to have them 'adjust' something or put in a '£0.99 whatjamacallit' and then charge me £40 labour that I can't afford (insurance in a week )

The squeak does not occur under braking. If it did, I'd happily accept the harder compound theory. It happens when driving at low speeds with the handbrake and footbrake fully off and clearly is 'revolution' related as the squeak gets faster the faster I go (until 30-odd when it goes away). I can make it stop by driving with the handbrake fairly firmly on....but I'm sure you'll agree this is not a solution

[Edited by Saxo Boy - 1/14/2003 5:35:39 PM]
Old 14 January 2003, 08:46 PM
scoobyroof
Scooby Regular

Saxo Boy, if you are near me in Stirling, I will gladly have a look at your rear pads as I think a touch of copaslip will cure the problem and perhaps a slight clean of the pads and discs are all that are needed. I note your comments about Colin Noble but I have found him to be a decent guy but like all people in this world different people have different views which is just as well!!! I would gladly try and help you with this annoying problem and I wont charge you £40 per hour or for the copaslip although I might let you bribe me with a pint Cheers M8
Old 14 January 2003, 08:51 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cheers scoobyroof...I'll possibly be in touch via email over the next few days

I want to make it clear that I don't have anything against Colin as a person. He's doing his job. I'm not one of these people that 'hates' the manager of a company just cause they have p1ssed me off....but that Bill Gates is a w@nk though
Old 14 January 2003, 09:50 PM
craig walker
Scooby Regular

SAXO BOY had the same pads as u had fitted a while ago by AWD and in that time the car has been in salt water a few times and then left for 2 weeks at a time and the brakes have never squeeked once.
Old 14 January 2003, 10:18 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Question

Saxo,

It sounds like the handbrake may be adjusted too tight,there is a star adjuster thingy on the rear of the brake assembly,this may need slackening off a bit,not saying this is the cause but may be.Did the handbrake travel less after they fiddled.

Cheers Paul
Old 14 January 2003, 10:35 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Another thing to check, this isn't Scooby specific by the way, I had this problem on our Mazda and on my GT4 in the past.

Most cars have a splash sheild behind the disc that fits quite close. You do your first pad change etc. and this gets bent slightly, sometimes against the edge of the brake disc. It then scrapes and squeeks at all speeds, just that you can only hear it at low speed.

So, whenever I get squeeks from brakes that sound like a pad dragging I simply but my hand through the wheel and push this sheild away from the disc a bit.

YMMV etc.

Cheers

Ian
Old 15 January 2003, 09:17 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice Paul I figured that is what they had maybe done but the handbrake seems the same as before and surely they would have checked that!!
Old 20 January 2003, 09:11 AM
Rab
Scooby Regular

Saxo Boy, repeat after me S&S, S&S, S&S,. Speak to John, I have the same problem. Pads and calipers need stripping and cleaned, then rebuilt using copperslip. As for a certain edinburgh based garage, I traveled through to Edinburgh from Ayr after having a 5 door described as "perfect condition for year" "immaculate" etc. Got there and my eyes were drawn to the 4' scratch along the side, Rather annoyed I had words with the sales Monkey, his reply it'l Tcut out and anyway you're too young too be driving an Impreza, you'd never afford to run it.
Old 20 January 2003, 10:41 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Angry

Saxo if you ain't happy and it doesn't sound like you are take your business elsewhere.

I did and I have never looked back. S&S are superb - granted it is a long drive however it is worth it. When it comes to looking after my car I am a pain in the *** every squeak, every noise they hear about it from me. S&S seem to be virtually the only dealer in the UK who has successfully fixed the problem with the STi7 squeaking suspension.

To put this in prospective I have a friend who works at Nobles who I drink with regulary. I felt Colin was a good mechanic but maybe not a good people person. However the service can be flaky and once they have a view - "they all do that!" there is no questioning them.

What I don't get is you went to S&S to look at the STi8 why not ask them then?

All of this is my opinion and it is your decision however you did ask.

[Edited by WillieF - 1/20/2003 10:44:24 PM]
Old 21 January 2003, 02:03 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The squeek went away over the weekend and I forgot all about it when I was at S&S The sales guy did seem friendly and interested which makes a nice change for a dealership
Old 10 February 2003, 03:30 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Ive had the same squeak for around a year now - car has gone back to dealers on 4 occasions - all they seem to do is clean the mechanism and adjust the handbrake, but it makes little improvement.

It all started when I had replacement disks fitted under warranty - now I get the slow squeak-squeak-squeak at low speeds in dry weather - seems fine when its raining! It is very embarrasing!