Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

SG Petch - Richmond North Yorks

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2002, 05:11 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just my own experience after 3 years of being a loyal customer-

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=111872

edited so as not to upset Ken

[Edited by gravelexpress - 7/31/2002 1:19:30 AM]
Old 30 July 2002, 08:00 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Red face

You sometimes find that an attitude can run thru a garage from sales to mechanics etc.
I phoned this same company after looking at an R reg turbo on their internet site.
Spoke to a snotty salesman who told me no they did not have a car like that and if they did it cetainly would'nt be as cheap as I was saying. Made me feel like a right idiot. Was a bit taken aback at this and thought I must have got web sites or garages mixed up.
But being a cussed git I then went back on their site and there was the car at the price I said. In the photo I could also read the reg no. Phoned them up again and asked to speak to same guy. When he came on I told him to check his web site car reg no & price. At this there was no apology or explanation. So told him he had just lost a 10k sale and I'm sure his boss would be happy to know thst as I had emailed him.
Useless git - hope they sacked him.
Alas
Old 30 July 2002, 09:47 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Im sure they gave him a sound ticking off...naughty little sales man

edited so as not to upset ken

[Edited by gravelexpress - 7/31/2002 1:23:19 AM]
Old 31 July 2002, 12:07 AM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Steve Petch is a personal friend of mine (and known by a lot of people in the rally circuit on here) and I know he takes any complaint about poor service very seriously. Did you try and speak to him? Obviously not by your tone. I have taken the liberty of copying your 'tirade' to him. I have no doubt you will receive a response.

My last nine cars, three of them scoobs, have been bought and serviced by them and I regard their levels of service well above the norm. This is my personal view of course, and I can only speak from experience, as can a number of friends who use the same garage.

Be careful your complaint does not turn into a crusade and alert the moderators who are responsible for monitoring ScoobyNet content.

Ken
Old 31 July 2002, 01:14 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

No sorry Ken Im afraid I didnt have Steves number to give him a bell. You know how it is.

So Ken Im really interested to know exactly what my tone and tirade is. I have strictly kept to the facts - that is all.

Yes I am extremely annoyed - Like I said in my post. I have used that garage for three years. I have had only one other problem with them. I have been more than pleased every time I have picked that car up from a service (including this one!!). I myself have recommended them to fellow Subaru owners.

When I went to the Garage on Saturday. I asked the blatant question to the chap behind the desk "what would you do if you were told that your engine is on its last legs". He didnt really have an answer.

I can tell you exactly how I felt when hearing that the diagnosis to my "noisy engine" was - big end failure, little end failure, or con rod failure. I asked what should I do - Answer change the OIL.... at a cost £££££

Im sure your mate Steve can afford the odd engine failure - I CANT. So did you forward this to Mr Petch with concerns for customer care i.e. mine OR for some other reason. I really am looking forward to a reply.

Im really sorry Ken if you think this is a personal attack against your mate. It isnt - It just exposes how incompetant a main dealers can be.
Old 31 July 2002, 02:57 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Hi Ken
Good for you that the service you recieve from this garage is above the norm. To use your own words - Steve is a personal friend of mine - still does'nt stop other people having bad experiences.

I change cars about twice a year - usually the sales dept is the most customer focussed. In my case they were'nt. I'll never buy from them. I can even put up with poor attitude if the person concerned is good at their job as is the case at a garage I still use, cos although the service manager is an obnoxious tw*t, he knows his cars inside out.
Gravels story is worrying - his car, his money but no concern seems to be shown by the mechanic/garage whoever. It would put you off the car and you'd probably sell it.
IMHO
Alas

Old 31 July 2002, 05:08 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

i have had no problems with them, and get on with peter law(used salesman) ok. not too sure about the head mechanic though, the one even they say is a bit mad.

first time i had mine serviced i think he was trying to test my technical knowledge for whatever reason! admittedley(sp) its not outstanding, but i know enough to keep me going.

had the feeling that if i did not know much, then possibly try say something wrong with car.

this was just my personal feeling at that time and have had no problems with whatsoever.
Old 02 August 2002, 07:48 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Mike isn't it? I think the "Mud Slinging" title was pushing things too far and that is what raised my hackles.

What I know about Steve is that he genuinely cares about his customers and will come down like a ton of bricks on any staff that don't come up to scratch.

I printed out the two threads and have passed them onto Steve's sales manager to give to Steve when he gets back from the IOM rally next week. I have had a conversation with SGP already and I could pick out the individuals from your description. I don't think the motive was financial and lets leave it at that until Steve comes back. I have some sympathy with your views if not the method.

You will be able to get him on 01325 486545 most days around 3/4pm. Darlington is the head office. Please tell him of your dissapointment over your dealings with them and let him respond.

The same is true for ANY dealership.. go to the top and make some noise. Posting on a public forum can lead to some nasty legal repercussions and I was as worried for ScoobyNet as much as anything else.

Ken
Old 02 August 2002, 10:11 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Ken,
I must say im very impressed with your response. I have just drafted a formal letter that I was going to forward to the relevant people.
As for posting on this forum. In the drive train section this was a genuine cry for help! I was very worried that the engine was on the point of failure. However, on discovering that the diagnosis was incorrect through second opinions.
It was the fact that the servicing department really didnt answer the question - "why do you say that my engine is going to fail". I suggested that they use some det cans when I come up on the Saturday and they did say they would fully explain the "engine noise". However, when I turned up they basically dismissed everything - No apology nothing. That I think makes for poor service.
It was very obvious that this was a blatant attempt to gain extra money out of the service. It was only the fact that I knew a little about engine oil and engines that I didnt hand over any cash.
I dont think there is anything wrong with posting a bad experience with a garage, i have said good things before - but no one really commented on them. I would repeat this experience to anyone at a Subaru meet if they asked. If your happy with them fine - but remember this did not happen to you. If it had im sure may be a little more sympathetic.
I just think people should be made aware of this type of thing. I have only stated the facts, it isnt a crusade. i.e. I dont want to turn people against a company if they are happy with the service. Like I said 3 years and then something happens that is very disapointing. Especially as I have had good service in the past. I cant imagine any legal repercussions from what I have posted - It is not libelous.

Mark