Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

How on earth do you do a good fitting job with A DR Motorsport Spoiler??

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2002, 12:36 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks,

I have finally got my STI6 spoiler from Dr Motorsport (After 8 weeks), but to be completelyhonest, I am in shock over how primative the mounting system is under the spoiler. It just looks like holes in the spoiler that are filled with rubbery/plaster type stuff. With the bolts provided, it doesn't possibly look like the bolts will cut into anything resembling a decent foothold.
Also, is the Spoiler supposed to rise up towards the middle where the light is? It looks like I am going to be drilling a whole load of wholes through my boot to make this thing look like a decent fit . I am already planning on lining the inner edge with draught excluder-type stuff and where I do have to drill holes/mount, I will be using a dot of silicon sealant around the hole.
Basically, could anyone who has fitted either a 5 or 6 Dr Motorsport Spoiler give me some tips on how they made their's fit well?

Any info/advice greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Nick
Old 08 June 2002, 01:22 PM
JASON H
Scooby Regular

Mine also arrived yesterday, after placing it on the bootlid it seemed to be 1,inch clearance in the centre. went back to the website and the break light matches the 93-00 car, i orderd 01 sti..
Old 08 June 2002, 01:26 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

I'm interested in ordering the STi 6 spoiler for my MY99 so would like to know what happens!

In your honest opinion, do you think it looks a bit too big? I haven't seen one in the flesh unfortunately?

(Sorry for hijacking the thread )
Old 08 June 2002, 01:28 PM
JASON H
Scooby Regular

IMO the spoiler looks spot on in size just need the right one now.
Old 08 June 2002, 02:21 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

have you spoken to David(DRM)?

I would not drill the boot lid until you have,if there is a problem with a certain batch being raised in the centre and you draw it down with the bolts provided,it may distort it out of shape and if you have drilled the boot lid you cannot then refit your standard one.
Old 08 June 2002, 02:54 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Normally you don't have to drill any extra holes, when you remove the standard one you should be able to attach the new one through the four existing holes. I must admit the holes did not line up on my car, so I had to drill extra holes to fix the spoiler, I also used a huge amount of body panel fixing glue to make sure it wouldn't be going walk about with some low life.
If it doesn't seem right give David a call and explain, he'll be able to help; it may be that you have got a dodgy one.
Old 08 June 2002, 03:21 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm, your experience is useful. Just changed my mind, will get TSL to do mine when my car arrives. Sounds like hassle here although David seems willing to talk one through these things.

Good luck.

WB
Old 08 June 2002, 03:24 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

It seems to be the only bummer about one these spoilers when compared to the Probrive ones. As they don't have the middle bit, fitting them is a 5 minute job and look great! Unfortunatly, they cost the earth in comparison with the replicas like mine

Cheers,

Nick
Old 08 June 2002, 03:27 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

I have a dead lower half of a DRM sti5 spoiler,after a recent accident ,so have taken a few pics of the fitting points.there is a square headed nut sunk into the base and it is covered in resin,so they are not going anywhere.

for your info,the base was the only bit left on my car so can honestly say that it can take a fair hit but I had used all the bolt fittings.the fit of my first spoiler was perfect and I am waiting for a new one also from DRM. 1" raise in the centre does seem a lot,so I would give David a call.

if the pics come out they should show the sunk nuts with a pen highlighting the resin covered nuts.

Old 08 June 2002, 05:31 PM
markd
Scooby Regular

hi nick..i had 1 of these about 3 months ago it was in my possesion for about 2 days .had a talk with david and sent it back full refund.. i just did not want to drill holes over the boot or stick loads of mastic every where .did he not explain that they need drilling to hold them down because he said that the ones he is getting now will need drilling and customers will be told this before buying.i ended up getting the prodrive 1 more money i know but fitting can be done with eyes closed.....
Old 08 June 2002, 06:08 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Here's how you do it !!!

Take the old spoiler off
Clean boot lid very well
Take the nuts out of the bottom of the old spoiler
Place new spoiler on to boot lid with a friend (Boot lid open)
Line it up so it all fits flush
Mark holes on the bottom of the spoiler through the holes already in the boot lid that the old spoiler attached to
Take the new spoiler off
Drill guide holes in to the new spoiler where you marked it
Now screw the bolt that you took out of the old spoiler in to the new spoiler using a socket set
Get some spoiler bond and run it around the under side of the new spoiler
Place the spoiler on the boot lid and put the OEM nuts on!!

One very good looking spoiler..... alternatively you could pay someone else

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=101527
Old 08 June 2002, 06:44 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. I think that I will leave all that messing around until next weekend 1 question. dod you guys get connectors on the end of your brake light wires? The way it looks now, I will have to use the connector from my STI4 spoiler, but someone is having that spoiler, so can't really go hacking...

Cheers,

Nick
Old 08 June 2002, 06:46 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Wink

I did mine the easy route.... Take it to dealer, wait about an hour, hand over some cash, drive away

There is a gap between the top of the boot lid and the bottom of the spoiler but it is not as much as an inch. I think it looks fine, you don't notice the gap.
Old 08 June 2002, 06:52 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

No connectors, IIRC it is just 2 wires so a bit of insulating tape is all that is needed (don't cross the wires or you'll have to do a bit of fuse replacement)
Old 08 June 2002, 09:38 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jase, Your back!

How was it? Are you all crispy burnt or brown??

Sorry to hear your spoiler came back wrong after all your trouble getting one, if you want any help fitting it, Ry will give you a hand, he already fitted an STi6 to ours (not ours now )

Drop us a line anyway, let us know how you get on

Edited to say: Don't rely on me reading any posts here! I forget to!

Ali (Mrs Catflap)

[Edited by catflap - 6/8/2002 9:40:44 PM]
Old 08 June 2002, 11:06 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks heaps to everyone for all of the info/replies. The mounting system on the STI6 spoiler is different to the STI5 spoiler. I got an excellent email through From David Reid regarding this, and all of the info that I needed to get the job done right.

Cheers guys,

Nick
Old 09 June 2002, 02:01 AM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Can I continue this thread, but move onto the 22B 4 Piece one..

I don't really fancy drilling the bootlid, Has anyone just stuck the bottom piece to the boot with tape?? The rest of the spoiler would appear to help hold it on once in place. I may have to remove the spoiler again in a few months , and don't really fancy removing tonnes of sikaflex/sealer from the lid

Old 09 June 2002, 11:13 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

The bit that goes on the boot is probably best stuck down with double sided padded tape stuff, or some sealant. Once its on, its held down by the rest of the spoiler so it cant really go anywhere if you stick it down.

Drilling is a bit overkill.

MB
Old 09 June 2002, 11:59 AM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Surely if you use double sided sticky pads then it will be raised slightly? And these are a real pain to get off once theyve been on a while...

Having not seen these 22b/WRC spoilers can you tell me if the underneath is flat enough to take normal (industrial strength carpet stuff) double sided tape instead. I assume like you say the lower section will be effectively clamped in place by the ends once its all bolted together?

You might be better using something like clear silicone as that at least sticks reasonably well and is easy enough to remove later. Clampting the base in place would be a good idea as it sets...
IMHO Sikaflex would make too good a bond, like you I also want to be able to get the thing off when I sell the car...

(Quick question on these spoilers - do the prics on the website include VAT and post?)

Cheers, Jon.

Old 09 June 2002, 02:14 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Mine included the VAT, but the delivery was £20. It was packed extremely well though. I doubt even Parcel Farce could have destroyed it!

Cheers,

Nick
Old 06 August 2002, 02:42 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

I fitted one of Davids STi5 spoilers to my Terzo.How i did it....

1.Remove old spoiler.
2.Clean bot thoughly with solvent cleaner to remove wax etc.
3.Using black mastic run a thin bead all the way around the spoiler bottom.Add a few bigger blobs in the middle for extra strength.
4.Open boot lid, one person each side holding spoiler, feed brake light cable through, line up spoiler, and press onto boot.Third person screws the two stainless fixings in each end.
5.Shut boot lid, go around with cloth wiping away excess mastic
6.Allow to dry over night.
7.Connect up brake light.

You dont have to drill the boot lid.I had my car flat out on many an occasion, did the infamous York run with no bother either

Best of Luck guys,

Rich.

[Edited by RichiW - 6/8/2002 2:44:33 PM]
Old 06 August 2002, 11:05 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Nick,

I've sent you an E-mail answering all your problems - hopefully.
Unfortunately Nick's original spoiler was sent out over a holiday weekend, and has never been seen since - probably on the back of a 1986 Ford Orion now. It was then a few weeks before Nick contacted us from Australia to say it hadn't arrived. So we then had a replacement painted and sent - but not until last weekends bank holidays had passed.

I should point out that Nick has an STi 6 spoiler, and the fitting system is different to that of the STi 5, although they both fit using the existing bootlid holes.

Jason H ordered a spoiler for his new shape car, we no longer keep this spoiler in stock, but ordered one for him - to be sent direct from Holland. When I spoke to Jason this morning and he described the spoiler, it looks like they sent one from the older shape Impreza - hence the 1" gap between the bootlid. The bootlids are an entirely different shape between models. But this isn't a problem with the spoilers, it's simply the wrong type.

Going back to the STi 5 spoilers that are also mentioned here, most owner prefer not to drill extra holes or use an adhesive or tape, so there is a small gap near the centre - usually 3-4mm, but this affects all STi 5 spoilers that are available from different suppliers. I know, I've checked, and I've got the photos.

Thanks to everyone who has E-mailed, texted or called me today about this. I've been away to the Scottish Rally, and difficult to get a hold off.

[Edited by DR Motorsport - 6/8/2002 11:09:41 PM]