Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

CARDATA.co.uk...................anyone used them?

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2002, 11:45 PM
Jap Cars Mad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am selling a Saxo Diesel at the moment. It is advertised in Ad Trader and Autotrader.
This company called Car Data keep calling me (twice yesterday, 4 times today, few times last week aswell).

What they say is pay £79.99 and your car is advertised for 28 days (it can continue after that for free). What Car Data do is contact potential buyers for you and give the buyer contact details for you, so that they can call to arrange a viewing appointment.

Have any of you been contacted by them?
Have you used them?
Do you know someone who has had success/failure through them?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Old 29 May 2002, 11:55 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

In my opinion they are useless, take your money and do nothing to actively sell your car.

Know one guy who it worked for though...

MB
Old 30 May 2002, 12:04 AM
TypeRMan
Scooby Regular

All I can say is do not do it!!

3 yrs ago - I was gullabalised by some sweet-talkin bird into paying 79.99 with promises that there were loads of people looking for the exact spec of my vehicle.

What a load of tosh! Not 1 single call!

You just get the sales speeeeeeel!

Saw a report on watchdog about how they mis-represent to potential customers about their database of so-called buyers.

Spend the 79.99 on your bird or a hooker!

CarData are f***** useless. They would rob a blindman!
Old 30 May 2002, 12:10 AM
scoootie5
Scooby Regular

Angry

I also fell into the trap of paying £70 on a advertising company which said they would put it on their website and also 3 magazines until I sold the car.

So I paid the money and I did not see it in any Magazine so I called them and they refused that they would say such a thing and they only advertise on their website..

I was selling a Renault Clio 31/2 years ago and since sold it 3 years ago. But I never told them I had sold it and it is still on their website and have not had a single call at all.

The company has not called either. All they were after was money.

RIP OFF

Cheers
Scott
Old 30 May 2002, 12:30 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

They spend all their money on getting advertisers and zero on getting interested buyers.

Avoid at all costs.
Old 30 May 2002, 12:48 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
i have had a few calls from them too since placing my add in autotrader.

Same speel too. Waste of money. They say they will advertise it for 28 days and then keep it there for free after that. The reason they dont say they will just advertise it till its sold is to get you thinking that within 28 days it will have sold normally. It's all pshycology and sales technique.

Dont waste your money. Have you ever asked them to find you a car, know anyone who has? I doubt it so where do their customers come from?
Old 30 May 2002, 12:50 AM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Do NOT use them under any circumstances. From my experience I found them to be totally useless and did nothing for me except lighten my wallet. They lie when they say they have people wanting your type of vehicle, it's simply not true.

Old 30 May 2002, 01:36 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Not worth the money, time or hassle!
Old 30 May 2002, 02:18 AM
Jap Cars Mad
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for the replies.

It is quite clear that they are no worth using. Out of all the replies so far, only 1 person knew someone who had success with them.

Its a shame really, the service they provide in theory, is a bloody good idea, you don't normaly have warranty or credit services available to you when you are buying private, plus they are doing to chasing around sourcing the sellers/buyers....in theory remember, doesn't sound like this happens.

thanks again

if you know anyone who might be interested in a Red Saxo Diesel, 1998 R plate, 39k, FCSH etc, email me on nissanturbomad@aol.com or visit http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=95246

[Edited by Jap Cars Mad - 5/30/2002 2:21:19 AM]
Old 30 May 2002, 02:18 AM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

Don't do it.

I advertised a car in Atrader then had more calls from burds asking me sell my car in their supplement for a knock down price.

One bur caught me at 8.30am after a hard night out said they had buyers waiting but would only pass on details if I handed over 70notes. Give money, recieved 1 call from guy who I'm sure must have worked with said burds office had no interest in car at all and made the most ridiculous excuse to not want the car. I called burd 3days later after no more calls and said I had had no calls part from 1 who was just wasting my time, she said we make no promise of a sale but that they would pass on numbers to prospective buyers and its there choice if they call or not.

All I can say she gave impression of having stacks of buyers and being severly hung over just wanted rid of her so signed up, produced no calls and sold car privatly in the end to friend.

SO DONT WASTE YOU CASH. :-)
Old 30 May 2002, 03:19 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Agreed - paid the money once and not a single call....ever
Old 30 May 2002, 08:55 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Angry

same here, waste of space.... con men
Old 30 May 2002, 05:26 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

yup, same again. Took my money and never heard from them again.

Apparantly 19 people were in my area were looking for a car like mine - not one call, funny that!

Has anyone actually had there car with them, and then phoned up pretending to be a buyer and see if your own car actually comes up?

[Edited by MattN - 5/30/2002 5:27:24 PM]
Old 30 May 2002, 07:57 PM
saxovts2000
Scooby Regular

DON'T FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR WELL BEING DON'T

I've had my saxo in there for 2 months and not one bloody call...I'm going to contact Watchdog about them coz they told me that sameone wanted to buy my car but he could give the details until I bad the fee.......like crap was there

I have had 25 people interest and yet not 1 call

Old 30 May 2002, 11:16 PM
Jap Cars Mad
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've have decided not to go ahead with it. I value your opinions far more than their sales pitch.

Few interesting points. I was on the "buying" section of their website last night. It incorporates a search engine, you go through 2 stages of search criteria before it gives you a list of possible cars that might interest you.

I have to say, it is by far the FASTEST search engine I have ever come across, there could be a reason for this:-

1. hardly any cars on their database
2. it is a good search engine
3. someone has hooked me up to BROADBAND and not told me

what do you people think? answers on a post card.
Old 31 May 2002, 06:07 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Angry

As everyone else said - a complete waste of space..

They take your money, you get a letter and thats the last you hear from them! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03 June 2002, 01:01 AM
Jap Cars Mad
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sold the Saxo yesterday. Was asking £3800 hoping for £3500, guess what, success, I got £3500.

I am now the proud owner of a Silver Honda Civic Vtec 4-door saloon which has a Honda Bodykit, Eibach lowering springs, 17" Mas Italy VT5 alloys and a Cossie cone Air filter (I cannot afford to run a Scoob, maybe next car though).

The Saxo was advertised in Autotrader and Adtrader, on both their websites and on Findit's website. The car never sold by any of these, it was traditional "word of mouth". A collegue I give a lift to work mentioned it to his neighbour who in turn told his grandson, and that was who bought the car.

1st phone call, 1st person to view, 1st person to test drive.....and he bought the car for exactly what I was wanting for it.....well happy and well lucky.
Old 03 June 2002, 01:03 AM
Jap Cars Mad
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thankyou to everyone who has taken part in this topic, I know it was benificial to me and hopefully other people will benifit from the feedback of this topic.
Old 05 June 2002, 01:14 PM
markcp
Scooby Regular

Angry

A few years ago I was selling a 106XSi in Autotrader, without much luck. I stupidly agreed to go with car data (promised buyers, etc) but had no response. I then got a colleague to phone up asking for a similar car to mine and unsurprisingly they had no records on their database!!

Complete waste of time and money - avoid at all costs!
Old 08 June 2002, 07:03 AM
pops
Scooby Newbie

Im glad i came across this thread, i was about to cough up £99 to Car Data, who then said they would refund me £80 once car was sold. They just wont stop hassling, phone call after phone call. When they phone today I'll give them the the single finger, thanx to all.....