Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Thinking about doing the MCSA course

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2013, 01:01 PM
stu9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about doing the MCSA course

But confused by all the online offers and who's who, ie who out to rip you off and who's genuine.

I did start a course about 2 years ago but had to stop because I just wasn't competent enough, but would like to try it again.

I was reading this http://www.comptia-certification.co.uk/mcsa.html and noticed it say that if you dont have the relelvant years in work/commercial esperience (i dont) then you need to take the A+ and network + course first so you at least know what the MCSA is when you're ready....I didnt the last time.

Is there anyone here got the MCSA, just how hard was it without doing these relevant courses first....and does the mob in the link sound ok (then again, they probably all sound ok till they get your money.

Any help's greatly appreciated
Old 30 September 2013, 01:55 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

try these guys: http://www.globalknowledge.co.uk/Abo...aining-centre/

http://www.globalknowledge.co.uk/cer...ications/mcsa/
Old 30 September 2013, 02:04 PM
stu9
Scooby Regular

Thanks will do
Old 30 September 2013, 02:15 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

I have done the A+ and network + courses, very simple courses! I was working in a I.t department a year or so before doing them and ended up in the evening class I was attending helping the teacher out with other students who couldn't put a PC together! If you don't no your way around a PC or how to solve basic problems,operating systems then I would do the course before MCSA course
Old 30 September 2013, 03:31 PM
stu9
Scooby Regular

I've built a few pc's, not laptop's though, they're a pita, I don't have IT experience though that's why I though i'd need to take network A courses
Old 30 September 2013, 05:22 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

What can you do after completing and passing the course?
Old 30 September 2013, 05:47 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

It's just a introductory to I.t / computers really!! Some courses like you to of at least no basics to move on to more complex courses, especially if you do not work within a a I.t department! The real real lesson I found out was that you can't really work to the book in the job! Yes it helps but hands on you create and will get errors, installations that go different to what you have been taught in a classroom. It all depends which sector your aiming for I.e 3rd line support where u would get delegated jobs to do plus things that might get phoned through!

I would say find an area like 3rd line support in I.t research what you need to no courses etc and go for them starting bottom to top!

Trending Topics

Old 30 September 2013, 09:12 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I've been working in IT for about 15 years. Current job im in (been there over 9 years) is network support/installations/servers etc.

Before this my job was mainly hardware based so had no previous experience in networking, servers, etc etc. I learnt most of what I know "on the job" with no previous training.

A few months ago I did do a MCP (or whatever it's called now) in Server 2012. Although I picked up a reasonable amount, for me, most of the things covered were irrelevant for the work we do as we only deal with small/medium businesses and a lot of what goes on during the courses/training are more based on corporate setups so most things I have probably forgotten already as I'm not needing to use that knowledge gained (my company sent me on the course so they retain their "Microsoft Status", although, apparently it helps me too?!?! lol........ where's my pay rise then ya tight bastids!! ).

I went to a place called Firebrand Training (based in Cambridgeshire). If you want to do training to get you through exams etc then go there. It ain’t cheap but it’s like a fast track type thing so you actually stay on site (my course was 3 days but the instructor did mention other places will generally take a week or more to do the same course) but it’s a bit hard core – start on a Saturday and long days starting around 8am right through until late evening 9-10pm!! Another guy from my place done a course to cover 3 of the MSCE exams and he was there a full week! He was done in by the end of it though, lol. You do the exams on site too.

They do all sorts of training. I think they must be well known for it because when I was there one guy even came over from Germany, others from Scotland etc. We also have an apprentice at our place and they are putting him through a Microsoft apprenticeship and the training is done at the same place. He had no previous IT knowledge at all and his done the A+ stuff (which as already said is the very basics).

Depends where you want to end up really. You can do all the training you want but if you are not in a job where you would put most of it into practise then it could be a waste of time and money.

Last edited by stiscooby; 30 September 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01 October 2013, 09:37 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got MCSA (Server 2003) as I couldn't be doing with more studying outside of work to get to MCSE although maybe one day although i'd probably have to redo the whole lot again.

I've been doing IT 14 years and I found the exams difficult although only had to retake one. As mentioned above it's 100% theory and in reality all the stuff I studied and learnt for the exams I haven't really used in day to day IT support since (Wintel Server Engineer).

I bought all the books covering each MCP and did them a few weeks apart. I found the DNS exam the hardest which is the one I had to retake as the theory and depth behind it was over the top!