Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apple imac

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2013, 10:28 AM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple imac

Apple imac are they really worth the money been thinking of buying one for a while, but are they really worth the cash?
Old 27 June 2013, 10:32 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Depends on what you want to do with it. £1000+ is a lot for an new iMac if all you're going to do is surf the web and sync your iPod.
Old 27 June 2013, 10:39 AM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

I want it for work really invoicing with Microsoft office and so on.
Old 27 June 2013, 10:39 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Depends on what you want to do with it. £1000+ is a lot for an new iMac if all you're going to do is surf the web and sync your iPod.
If that's all he's doing though the iMac would be a safer machine, in fact if you aren't gaming, the iMac could be a better prospect. Microsoft office is also available on the iMac.
Old 27 June 2013, 10:43 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Invoicing using Microsoft..
Wouldn't you be better off with a 200 pound windows offering!?
Old 27 June 2013, 10:50 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Galifrey
If that's all he's doing though the iMac would be a safer machine, in fact if you aren't gaming, the iMac could be a better prospect. Microsoft office is also available on the iMac.
Please not that old chestnut, security through obscurity is no security. OSX is not invulnerable and is no more secure than Windows 7/8.
Old 27 June 2013, 10:59 AM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

Keep it basic now guys I'm no computer geek lol just after a nice all rounder which I can use for work, photos, surfing the web. If the Apple Mac is over kill what others could I look at. I do like the idea of a big screen.
Old 27 June 2013, 01:15 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

yes it will be fine , end of story .

It will perform ok, be quiet and look nice .
Old 27 June 2013, 04:12 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v6wrx
Keep it basic now guys I'm no computer geek lol just after a nice all rounder which I can use for work, photos, surfing the web. If the Apple Mac is over kill what others could I look at. I do like the idea of a big screen.
If you're looking at all-in-one type computers, which I'm guessing your are with the iMac, have a look at Lenovo's offerings for a quality Windows PC. Their IdeaCentres are at the upper end of the Windows PC market but still significantly cheaper than iMacs. They have mulit touch displays which is ideal for Windows 8 and other touch enabled applications to allow you interact and manipulate content on your screen. There are of course mid range pcs that offer the same functionality. Go to Currys or PC World to have a look and feel and then buy it from John Lewis as they'll give you 2 years warranty for free.

If you have money to burn and need to use Mac specific software then get an iMac.
Old 27 June 2013, 04:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

And you'll be supporting charity in their hour of need lol
Old 27 June 2013, 04:26 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

OSX is a lot safer than Windows 7/8 like a very big lot. There's no obscurity with OSX, it's on the most popular Laptop, Desktop and Mobile device.

However Office on OSX is horrid, I invoice using Numbers the Apple equivalent of Excel, it's excellent and cheap.
Old 27 June 2013, 04:41 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
OSX is a lot safer than Windows 7/8 like a very big lot. There's no obscurity with OSX, it's on the most popular Laptop, Desktop and Mobile device.
Seriously? From a supposed expert who works in the IT security industry? Really let's not kid ourselves and for that matter the OP by dishing out poor advice. There's trolling and there's dishing out misinformation; the OP is looking to spend a fair chunk of his money here.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/malwa...ecure-mac-os-x
Old 27 June 2013, 07:35 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Please not that old chestnut, security through obscurity is no security. OSX is not invulnerable and is no more secure than Windows 7/8.
It is less vulnaerable as standard and doesn't suffer the level of attacks and exploits that windows does. I am a windows user and I hate iMacs but you cannot dispute they have less issues than windows pc's with regard to security, albeit they still have some, as I said, safer, nothing more.

As a footnote, they also seem to suffer less slowdown as they get older and more bloated (for someone not in the know about fixing such issues).
Old 27 June 2013, 07:43 PM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

I want it for work really invoicing with Microsoft office and so on.
class, buy a mac then put bloody microsoft on it. Why not try open office.
Old 27 June 2013, 08:00 PM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevep360
class, buy a mac then put bloody microsoft on it. Why not try open office.
Never used it before I take it that's apples version of office?
Old 27 June 2013, 08:08 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Galifrey
It is less vulnaerable as standard and doesn't suffer the level of attacks and exploits that windows does. I am a windows user and I hate iMacs but you cannot dispute they have less issues than windows pc's with regard to security, albeit they still have some, as I said, safer, nothing more.
It's simply a case of return on investment. With Windows holding by far the greatest share of the market, that's what they target. OSX holds 7% of the PC market, so it's not surprising that criminals go where the users are!

Older versions of Windows weren't as secure as OSX, but I very much doubt there is much, if any difference now, despite what people may have you think.

Geezer
Old 27 June 2013, 08:35 PM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

Never used it before I take it that's apples version of office?
nope its a free office version available for all platforms
Old 27 June 2013, 08:49 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Seriously? From a supposed expert who works in the IT security industry? Really let's not kid ourselves and for that matter the OP by dishing out poor advice. There's trolling and there's dishing out misinformation; the OP is looking to spend a fair chunk of his money here.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/malwa...ecure-mac-os-x
I don't work in the security industry. But yes, seriously. You know that 'control' that you no doubt slate Apple for and would Jailbreak to get away from, it works. Windows may well be more secure than OSX, that's great, but then the users give in and start opening it up to all sorts. And bear in mind Windows 7 was touted in the same way, as was pretty much every version since NT. Good luck to Windows users, I hope you can have the same experience Mac users have.
Old 27 June 2013, 08:52 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

My iMac is sat upstairs, cost £1000 early 2006, you'd be happy with that for Excel and Web Browsing today. If you do buy a new iMac, buy an Appe TV with it.
Old 28 June 2013, 08:58 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
It's simply a case of return on investment. With Windows holding by far the greatest share of the market, that's what they target. OSX holds 7% of the PC market, so it's not surprising that criminals go where the users are!
Exactly, yes there are less targeting it which makes it safer. It is by no means immune to people clicking the wrong things.
Old 28 June 2013, 09:08 AM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Suprise suprise another genuine apple related question gets turned into a "bashing mac windows thread"

My 2 pence.

I use both. I have a 2011 imac sat in the corner of the room which is a truly stunning machine. Like said before very little lag or lose of speed. Connects well with my apple tv and ipads etc.

I have a toshiba laptop running windows 7 that does pretty much the same job as the mac.

If im honest you could get the same spec windows maching for probably £500 odd. You will pay the extra for the mac purely on how it looks and the fact that its an apple.

my opinion on this is that if you want and like a mac then go and get it. It will last for years and looks awesome, you certainly wont regret it. Good luck
Old 28 June 2013, 09:16 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

If im honest you could get the same spec windows maching for probably £500 odd. You will pay the extra for the mac purely on how it looks and the fact that its an apple.

Well what a surprise, some people are suggesting he's maybe paying more than he needs to.

Possibly he's looking for a machine that does the job - as opposed to a pretty 3 piece suite

Last edited by dpb; 28 June 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 28 June 2013, 09:24 AM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

DPB your absolutley right mate.
Old 28 June 2013, 09:26 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Perhaps he's looking for a machine that looks good and keeps going. If you think I'd still be using a Windows machine - hardware untouched - from 2006 as a main computer you're kidding yourself. Then suppose you left that machine without Antivirus for all those years and never bought any software for it, would it even start and would it have a use. You have to look at the total picture not just the fact it's pretty.
Old 28 June 2013, 10:32 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Perhaps he's looking for a machine that looks good and keeps going. If you think I'd still be using a Windows machine - hardware untouched - from 2006 as a main computer you're kidding yourself. Then suppose you left that machine without Antivirus for all those years and never bought any software for it, would it even start and would it have a use. You have to look at the total picture not just the fact it's pretty.
You do some out with some cr@p and come up with the most unlikely scenarios to try to support your point of view. Well likewise lets suppose on a Mac you clicked on every dodgy web link, email, p0rn sites, ad links, scripts etc etc blah blah ....... in case if you hadn't noticed it's 2013 not 2006. Point is who in their right mind would not install anti-malware on their computers? Oh that's right Mac users who still believe the advice of those who still claim Macs aren't as susceptible to malware and therefore don't install it. In any case I have a desktop PC I built in 2006, still running like a dream with Windows 7 and is good and secure enough my kids.

Last edited by jonc; 28 June 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 28 June 2013, 10:44 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

No doubt your PC is like Triggers broom, my iMac - using right now - has never been opened.

Jon, you're easily swayed by marketing, I have never run Antivirus software on my iMac and can assure you I have never had a problem, now, as you know I have a little insider knowledge that works to my advantage, I'm careful what I click, but other than that there has been no need for extra security. No need at all. I should add that I don't recommend this approach, as we all know nothing is 100% secure, just some things are more secure than others.

And please stop with the low numbers of macs keeping malware down, it's bull****, there's a huge market of what Jon would describe as 'dumb' users ready to be taken advantage of and it's just not that easy.
Old 28 June 2013, 11:35 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

No doubt your PC is like Triggers broom, my iMac - using right now - has never been opened.

Jon, you're easily swayed by marketing, I have never run Antivirus software on my iMac and can assure you I have never had a problem, now, as you know I have a little insider knowledge that works to my advantage, I'm careful what I click, but other than that there has been no need for extra security. No need at all. I should add that I don't recommend this approach, as we all know nothing is 100% secure, just some things are more secure than others.

And please stop with the low numbers of macs keeping malware down, it's bull****, there's a huge market of what Jon would describe as 'dumb' users ready to be taken advantage of and it's just not that easy.
Yes the PC has had upgrades over the years, that's fine with me, I like the fact that I have that choice, which you tend not to have with Apple products.

Mac have a tiny share of the PC market, 7% Mac to 91% Windows so it stands to reason Windows will report a greater number of attacks. However, despite Mac's small number, it still didn't prevent a hugely significant number of that 7% from being infected, presumably the 'dumb' users, with the Flashblack trojan of last year or that fact that Apple themselves were succumbed to an attack on their own computers within their own network.

So you say that you don't run AntiVirus software on your PC, that's great, still leaves your computer open to attack should anyone else use it or the fact you may not even be aware that your PC may already have a trojan on it, you can never be sure since as you rightly pointed out, nothing is 100% secure.
Old 28 June 2013, 01:04 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

What do you base your 7% share on? Last time I looked those stats were over a 10 year period. Look at sales for the last two years, especially look at the most vulnerable and most targeted market, home users, now, how do you explain the difference.

I would definitely run AV on my PC, if I had a PC that I used. I take advantage of all of the security features that come with OSX, they do a great job.

If it helps, I worked for an Antivirus company, we got infected, apart from the Macs of course.
Old 28 June 2013, 02:04 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I am typing this on a laptop I got in 2004, and it has never been opened, what's your point?

Geezer
Old 28 June 2013, 02:24 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Geezer
I am typing this on a laptop I got in 2004, and it has never been opened, what's your point?

Geezer
I'd love to see it and I bet it runs real nice. I have a couple of Vaio's within reach, they were both unusable last time I tried, both are younger than your machine and both were very expensive.

Quick Reply: Apple imac