Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

1 homeplug to 2 devices ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2013, 03:08 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1 homeplug to 2 devices ?

can i connect a pc and a ps3 to one homeplug with a splitter or a switch with wireless access any help much appreciated

Last edited by farmerwrx; 11 February 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11 February 2013, 03:56 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a homeplug near your router and another near your devices (you know this I guess). But the homeplug near your devices needs to be connected to a switch and then each of your devices plugs into the switch.

Something like this:
Amazon Amazon
Old 11 February 2013, 04:15 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

Do you want the PC and PS3 both wireless? if not just homeplugs and a switch will do, if you do, your best bet is probably homeplugs and a wireless AP... switch would be cheaper though and more reliable...
Old 11 February 2013, 04:20 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

You can get something like a Devolo 500 Home plug which has 3 RJ-45 connections built in which can reach the other end to the router. I have done this in my house with SKY-HD, PS3 and Blu-Ray player going off one to another homeplug at the router side without issue:

http://www.devolo.com/consumer/100_d...on_1.html?l=en
Old 11 February 2013, 04:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I have various homeplugs around the house. The primary / main / base one is connected to a hub into which is plugged my router and a few other devices.

The other homeplugs, the client's as it were, are dotted around the house. One is in the living room and it connects to a hub, which then feeds my Blu-ray player and Apple TV. This therefore provides a wired connection, rather than wireless to the Apple TV and Blu-ray player. The same is true for the other devices connected to the other homeplugs.

Is this the type of setup you're looking for? Can you be a little more specific on exactly what it is you want to achieve?
Old 11 February 2013, 07:39 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

i have a pc a all in one desktop and ps3 in the corner of the living room and the router is in the kitchen a long way away and the signal from the wifi is terrible so i use home plugs one in kitchen by the router,one in living room by the pc and ps3 and one in the bedroom. The one in bedroom is connected to a humax box that's all ok , the one in the living room is connected to the pc and i swap the cable over to the ps3 when i use it,the ps3 is connected to the pc as it is used like a tv then. what i would like to do is have a switch to hook both pc and ps3 up all the time and have a wireless point so when i use laptop or my galaxy tab in the living room i have a good signal. hope this is not gobbledygook lol
Old 11 February 2013, 09:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you would want a wireless basestation with four Ethernet ports built in. This should allow for extension of the existing wifi network and also plug in the home plug, pc and ps3.
Old 11 February 2013, 10:06 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Sounds like you would want a wireless basestation with four Ethernet ports built in. This should allow for extension of the existing wifi network and also plug in the home plug, pc and ps3.
Or one of these ...

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerli...00av-pewn.html
Old 11 February 2013, 11:26 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

can you find one on amazon and put a link up so i know what i'm looking for sorry to be so thick,thanks
Old 12 February 2013, 12:30 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
can you find one on amazon and put a link up so i know what i'm looking for sorry to be so thick,thanks
Hopefully others will correct me if I'm wrong, but something like this should be what you want:
Amazon Amazon

It's a wireless access point with four ports. So you'd have ethernet cable from homeplug into this, then PS3 and PC in the other ports. The wireless side of things would, I think, allow you to extend the network.

If you wanted to get all fancy, then you could go for this: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MD...e-base-station

Very expensive though, compared to other items out there.
Old 13 February 2013, 05:37 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

any experience with these, this might be a better solution
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old 13 February 2013, 10:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The first one of those has only one LAN port from what I can see so you could plug the home plug in but not anything else and you want home plug, pc and ps3 all connected

The second one is just a range extender and does not seem to have any LAN ports

Last edited by Markus; 13 February 2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 14 February 2013, 07:06 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=NW-052-AS should do what you need.
Old 14 February 2013, 08:42 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I'm looking to do something similar as I have my router in one corner of the house and need to create better wifi coverave if the other corner.

This is what I'm currently looking at, though I would ideally need one with more LAN ports.

TP LINK 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender Starter Kit

but then you are looking at more money..

Devolo 1409 dLAN 200 AV Wireless N Starter Kit

Last edited by Nimbus; 14 February 2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 14 February 2013, 09:11 AM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

The first one of those has only one LAN port from what I can see so you could plug the home plug in but not anything else and you want home plug, pc and ps3 all connected

The second one is just a range extender and does not seem to have any LAN ports
if i could get better wifi coverage it would solve my problem, pc is connected to the home plug but i could connect ps3 to wireless at the moment ps3 says signal strength is 20% and is crap so if i put a repeater halfway between router and ps3 i should get a good strength of signal then in theory,and it's available for my other device's and then maybe my sky hd box as well it's about 50 - 60 feet from the router and has never been connected to the net