Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Is Windows 8 really this crap

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2013, 12:19 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Windows 8 really this crap

Just go a sony vaio with an i7 thinking it would perform like a top of the range laptop and in fact between sony being crap (no right clock on the touch pad ??????????) and the sheer piece of rubbish mess that is windows 8 it is completely unusable. Is is just me or is Windows 8 now so annoying and the sign up process so intrusive that I may as well get a Mac. The lap top does not even work until you have signed up with microsoft and verified your email. Ironically it would not even let me go to gmail to verify my email address because I had not yet verified my email address. Computers are actually getting worse and worse these days. All of a sudden I want to go live in a cave.
Old 17 January 2013, 12:21 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

in a word yes,,,,,,,,,, lol, thast what the reviewers are sayign anyway.

i stay well clear of OS's untill they have been in circulation for a couple of years to get rid of the bugs, but win8 will prob be given a miss, like vista was
Old 17 January 2013, 12:33 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

It all depends on the following:

A).. The type of equipment you are using to run Windows 8
B).. The type of person using Windows 8 (An I.T. professional or someone new to computers)
C).. You have used a previous version and have upgraded.

To answer (A). Sounds like the equipment maybe letting you down more than the OS. The Win 8 OS has been designed to be more helpful on a Touchscreen environment with the obligatory mouse and keyboard thrown in for those who dont have a touch screen. I have tried using Win 8 on a system without touchscreen, and yes it does let it down knowing that the metro screen is the primary screen now and the desktop behind becoming a secondary way to access your PC and Operating System. But I am coming from a WIndows background using all versions of Windows and still using Windows 7 after dicovering how better it was over XP a couple of years ago.

As for point (B). From a point of view of someone who is new to computing and has bought the correct type of hardware then Windows 8 is properly a godsend as the applications you need are all on the metro screen.

As for point (C). I have already mentioned in Point A about being a user of previous versions of Windows. And as someone has pointed out on here I am the type of person also who waits for a new version to settle down. I remember the days of the most horrible version of windows (Windows ME) that would Blue Screen crash as soon as you looked at it
Old 17 January 2013, 12:36 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I'm ok with W8 but I don't use it heavy enough to warrant a strong opinion. I use it to download and that's about it.

Are you sure about the right click? If that's true it's very weird of them to do that
Old 17 January 2013, 12:47 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

The touchpad is all in one, when it clicks the whole thing clicks with no discernible difference between left and right. Every now and then clicking on the right side does some how magically bring up the menu I want but we are talking once every 200 clicks. I have been on the Sony website and the synaptic one trying to figure it out and they have nothing. IN theory dragging you finger down from the centre of the pad to the middle should activate the rightclick menu but in reality it does not.
Old 17 January 2013, 12:48 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horrible. I support 100+ machines and last week received my first w8 machine (HP probook) and hate it already. Im sticking with w7 on my 4740s, its heaven compared to the scattered mess that is windows 8.
Old 17 January 2013, 12:52 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Sounds more like a hardware problem than the OS.

Once you learn to configure win 8 to your liking - as you have had to do with all previous Microsoft OS's - it's OK, even on a desktop
Old 17 January 2013, 12:53 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

windows 8 only works on a touch screen tablet, other than that i would go for 7 or XP...
Old 17 January 2013, 12:58 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

MAybe worth having a look at this:

Old 17 January 2013, 01:15 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Right click might be like my MacBook keep one finger on the pad then use a second finger to to click?
Old 17 January 2013, 04:30 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Seem to recall to get to options in Windows 8 Right click isnt necesary. Just move the pointer to the top right of the screen to get the pull out options. Or move the pointer to the bottom left of the screen to access the Start/desktop.
Old 17 January 2013, 04:41 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I still have to use right click on windows 8
Old 17 January 2013, 04:47 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

More probably for the Desktop, didnt think you needed in the Metro Screen
Old 17 January 2013, 04:56 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I have to right click to bring up all apps selection in metro
Old 17 January 2013, 05:21 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I've had windows 8 for a few weeks now and am getting on better with it, but still dont know about the microsoft account bit?? haven't signed up to it yet, what does it give you?
Old 17 January 2013, 05:54 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainMilford
I've had windows 8 for a few weeks now and am getting on better with it, but still dont know about the microsoft account bit?? haven't signed up to it yet, what does it give you?
Nothing except on this POS you have to sign in to it before the lap top works. The right click has mysteriously decided to work for the first hour after the lap top is switched on then it breaks and you have to put it in standby mode before will work again, Mrs refused to take it back to the shop today after she spent 8 million hours transferring stuff on to it.
Old 17 January 2013, 05:58 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ash170990
windows 8 only works on a touch screen tablet, other than that i would go for 7 or XP...
I have a touch screen pc with windows 8 but use the mouse 95% of the time
for me I have little or no reason to touch the screen so it is not just for tablets.

Right click is for - more apps, multi selecting as well as the usual right click menu when in desktop form

I have no problems at all with windows 8
boots up a lot quicker than previous windows even after a few months

as for microsoft account i use my old MS messenger email (non MS)

Last edited by LeeMac; 17 January 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 17 January 2013, 06:45 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I tried the windows 8 consumer edition and after a few weeks I was more at ease with it. I then added a ssd drive to my pic and took this as the perfect opportunity to revert back to windows 7 ultimate. I think windows 8 will work well on a touch screen but a desk top or a laptop I don't think so.
Old 17 January 2013, 07:55 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Its horses for courses with Windows 8. To me it's a bit like going from Windows 3.11 to 95. Wasn't for 95 and was a die hard 3.11 supporter due to the things you could do with 3.11. Found 95 to be just too much windows and fixing crashes at the time was painful. At least with Windows 3.11 you had MSDOS to fall back onto if problems occured.

Its the sameish situation with Windows 8. I'm so used to using Windows 7 and the Desktop. Windows 8 has the desktop (As a secondary use) but noticed Microsoft have taken away somethings which I dont like.