Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Extending my WiFi network...

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2012, 04:12 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extending my WiFi network...

I have my WiFi router located in a corner of my house, connected by LAN into my Blu-Ray, Popcorn Hour file server/media player and HDD PVR. As this is the corner of my house, and there are a couple of brick walls upstairs and downstairs, the wifi coverage at the other end of the house can be a bit weak. The router is a Dreytek VG2800. I also have a TalkTalk D-Link DSL-2780 which I don't use yet. I was hoping that I could position this near the other end of the house and connect via LAN (or better, wifi) to the VG2800 so that I can improve the coverage and connect to the WiFi from either router. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Old 22 October 2012, 04:16 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

? http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=8094
Old 22 October 2012, 04:23 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Looks like it would do the job, but was hoping to use the equipment I already have.
Old 22 October 2012, 04:35 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

wireless signals travel best in a vertical plane however brick walls do give it grief. So easiest way for you to increase coverage but improve stability is to introduce the powerline method. One powerline near the router, second in the area you want to cover
Old 22 October 2012, 04:52 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hi Swiss,

What do you mean by "powerline"?

Thanks
Old 22 October 2012, 05:00 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

this stuff

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/powerl...-criteria.html
Old 22 October 2012, 05:01 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Powerline are these http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...CategoryID=708 (loads of places do them, I just got the BBBuyer for ease).
That's what I use, the 200mbs versions and I can stream full HD from the PC upstairs to the PS3 in the lounge and still be able to surf without it stuttering.
Old 22 October 2012, 05:05 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite cheap here...

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Networking...er---Twin-Pack

Just to get this right, I would just plug these 2 in, nothing connected to the router, and hey presto improved wifi coverage - I'd like to see some coverage in my garage then I can completely ignore the wife
Old 22 October 2012, 05:13 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Quite cheap here...

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Networking...er---Twin-Pack

Just to get this right, I would just plug these 2 in, nothing connected to the router, and hey presto improved wifi coverage - I'd like to see some coverage in my garage then I can completely ignore the wife
no. you use a small CAT5 cable from 1st adaptor to router (needs to have lan ports on it, most do these days). Second adaptor plugs in where ever you like (note it has to be on the same ring main to work so if you have a separate ring main for the shed etc, then it will not work). This second adaptor can either be the wireless access point .more expensive. or be attached to a wireless access point, or simply run a lan cable to your computer etc
Old 22 October 2012, 06:05 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

You can do what you want with the routers you mentioned. You just put one of them in repeater mode. It is a bit hit and miss though as sometimes for some reason repeaters just, well, don't.

I user Powerline adaptors (Netgear 500mbs) for behind the television and I bought a router that seems to be able to get wireless further than I've ever seen (Asus RT-N66U).

Steve
Old 22 October 2012, 06:10 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, not quite as simple as I was hoping. The ring main issue is a non-issue as I have a plug socket next to the back door which is adjacent to the garage but I was hoping that this would just be a plug and play option to extend the range. I can't move my router as any further from the phone point the signal on the line drops and I loose my broadband
Old 22 October 2012, 06:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most powerline stuff doesn't have to be on the same ring. I had a setup that had four adaptors on four ring mains over three consumer units, I used a BT Home Hub 2, Home Hub 3 and a Guru router. Much slower than wired networking unless just for up to 8Mbps broadband.

Now I use four wireless routers linked by Cat 6 cable and that works really well for remote desktop and accessing files on a server. All on different channels, but same SSID, security and password. Only the wireless router that is connected to the ADSL has DHCP turned on.

Likely you could use the DSL-2780 as a second wireless access point, linked by cable or powerline to your main router.

Last edited by john banks; 22 October 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 22 October 2012, 07:20 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I assume you're not on any kind of Infinity package?
Old 22 October 2012, 07:47 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Right, not quite as simple as I was hoping. The ring main issue is a non-issue as I have a plug socket next to the back door which is adjacent to the garage but I was hoping that this would just be a plug and play option to extend the range. I can't move my router as any further from the phone point the signal on the line drops and I loose my broadband

As i mentioned before, for your situation it is quite simple

Using something like this
http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/77_...on_1.html?l=en

One adaptor (none wireless) connects to your router. Second adaptor is the access point. Job done
Old 22 October 2012, 07:51 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Most powerline stuff doesn't have to be on the same ring. I had a setup that had four adaptors on four ring mains over three consumer units, I used a BT Home Hub 2, Home Hub 3 and a Guru router. Much slower than wired networking unless just for up to 8Mbps broadband.

Now I use four wireless routers linked by Cat 6 cable and that works really well for remote desktop and accessing files on a server. All on different channels, but same SSID, security and password. Only the wireless router that is connected to the ADSL has DHCP turned on.

Likely you could use the DSL-2780 as a second wireless access point, linked by cable or powerline to your main router.
Apologies I meant same fuseboard different ring mains.
Old 22 October 2012, 08:01 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hey JonMc, who's thread is this!..?
Old 22 October 2012, 08:02 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

You will need another wifi router that can be used as repeater. It will repeat wifi traffic acting as sort of a signal booster allowing you to extend the range.
Old 23 October 2012, 10:21 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I use Netgear N900 wireless hub and Netgear extender. The performance was erratic, now I've updated to the latest firmware, all is well.
Old 23 October 2012, 09:11 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

If you can connect the second router to the first via cable (or using some power plugs and cable) then you can set the second router's Wi-Fi settings the same as the first (same security type, same SSID etc) but you WILL need to change the channel number so it's out of the way of the channel being used on the first router (e.g. one on ch 4 one on ch 11 etc), otherwise if they are both in range of each other they will clash and cause issues.

If you can set it up like this then you will be able to roam around the house and the wi-fi will connect to either AP.

If you can't plug the second one into the first via a cable connection then with what you have the other way would be to get the second router in range of the first then set it in a extender/repeater mode - thats if that particular router has that function. If it doesn't allow you to change the mode type then you will have to connect them via cable or scrap the second one and just use home plugs.

You can also get home plug devices that also give you wireless.
Old 24 October 2012, 11:49 AM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

one router per line only