Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

OSX issues with ical and Outlook not syncing

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2012, 11:27 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Question OSX issues with ical and Outlook not syncing

Outlook on the MAC doesn't sync with icloud and so it appears the only way to get my calendar in Outlook to populate it is to sync it with ical which does pull its info from icloud.

However this seems easier said than done.

Even though i've enabled sync services the sync button is still greyed out. My calendar in outlook is populated after much googling and messing about but it doesn't seem to pick up any updates when I add them into icloud. ical has picked them up but they are not then syncing to Outlook.

What a pain in the ar$e this is, Outlook in Windows syncs with icloud perfectly but in OSX it doesn't

Anyone know how to get this working?

Oh and one other issue, the Macbook Pro can't boot if there is a USB drive plugged into it. I saw an update that was supposed to fix this which i've installed and it's made no difference. That is really crap having to keep disconnecting it when I power on.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 29 August 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 30 August 2012, 02:00 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

So what you're saying here is ...

... your Apple product isn't 'just working'?

I'll try and reply at greater length when I've got over the shock
Old 30 August 2012, 10:06 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Get back in your cage, *Microsoft* do not support iCloud. Not a great decision.
Old 30 August 2012, 11:29 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Yes they do Jack, Outlook 2007 in Windows works 100% with icloud. They don't however seem to support it with their MAC version of Outlook which is bizarre.
Old 30 August 2012, 11:32 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
So what you're saying here is ...

... your Apple product isn't 'just working'?

I'll try and reply at greater length when I've got over the shock
This is my first MAC (had plenty of Hackintosh laptops) and so i'm no fan boy it was just on offer at too low a price to turn down (50% off rrp).

I know my way round OSX but the sync between ical and outlook has me stumped as i've done everything as it should be but the sync button in Outlook is still greyed out and it's not picking up any updates from ical.

If I can't get it running as well as I had my Windows laptop configured where sync is working fine between icloud and Outlook then i'll keep my Windows laptop and sell the mbp on ebay and at the very least cover what it cost me.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 30 August 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 30 August 2012, 02:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any particular reason you're using Outlook on Mac rather than Mail.app?
What kind of calendar is it that you're syncing?

I've had to go to Outlook, with some reluctance, as Mail.app on Lion does not seem to be overly happy in having multiple (large) Exchange accounts (had to do it this way as it does not support Exchange's 'delegates'). It will work for perhaps a week and then you'll need to do a full sync on all mailboxes, which might work, other times it won't.

Mountain Lion is meant to address issues with Exchange in mail, but I'm not able to upgrade at this point, perhaps in a couple of weeks.
Old 30 August 2012, 02:31 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Hi Markus, yep I use Outlook all the time both home and for work to organise everything I do all in one place. So whilst there is the mail app and ical etc I don't want to have to use multiple apps when Outlook does it all.

I've got a free upgrade to Mountain Lion but I won't upgrade yet as i've read too many issues with it.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 30 August 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 15 September 2012, 12:32 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Well after 3 weeks of owning my MBP i've sold it and stayed with my better spec'd Windows laptop. Made a slight profit on it so at least I didn't lose out. I just couldn't put up with the lack of storage and no usb3. I only found 2 things it was better at which was battery life (only in OSX) and running almost silent when not under load. However under load it was just as noisy and just as ridiculously hot as my Dell XPS with a 3d 3gb gpu.

I'll re-look at MBPs in 3 years time when my Dell warranty runs out but no doubt they will still be behind the spec of Windows laptops that cost half the price. Don't get me wrong I liked the machine but just not high enough spec to keep it for what I need.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 15 September 2012 at 12:40 AM.