Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

USB TV DVB tuners - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2012, 11:31 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default USB TV DVB tuners - any good?

I'm thinking about getting one for the net-top, which is currently used to steam stuff from the net and my NAS (which is connected to an old TV that has no DVB tuner so can only get broadcasts via a set-top box). Don't really want a STB, as its just more clutter (the net top bolts to the back of the TV so its out of sight ).

I've looked around, but generally am non the wiser. Would like one that could record or time slip, but its not that critical.

I've seen some reviews but most appear to be a bit dated (over 3 years old), and obviously I want to make sure what I get is current and that it has decent software that'll work ok with Win7 and media centre.

Its going into a dual-core Atom D2700 (which is about as fast as a low end core2 duo desktop CPU). 4gig Ram and win7 x64. It should be OK to decode broadcasts? Shouldn't it?

It can stream HD video over the WiFi (now I've binned my superhub ), and the WiFi is a BIG bottle neck. So I figure DVB should be a walk in the park for this (in SD, at least).

Reccomendations welcome.
Old 28 August 2012, 09:37 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well i did try one from pcworld and it picked up nowt, but if i was buying one it would be a wintv version.
Old 29 August 2012, 12:32 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Assuming you're talking about DVB-T, not -S, I grabbed one from the Dabs bargain-bin for around a tenner a few months back when I was ordering some new drives, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it did. Picked up pretty much all the channels that the STB used to, although that's when hooked-up to a good roof-mounted aerial. As regards software, I can't comment on the bundled Windows stuff, as I set mine up on an old P4 lappie with Ubuntu 12.04, but if I can get it working on that I can't imagine it would be too hard on Windows, with the benefit of manufacturer-provided drivers and so on.

With your hardware spec the decode should be a breeze, as you said.
Old 29 August 2012, 11:59 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yeah it'll be DVB-T.

Been looking around and Hauppage and PCTV are the main ones...but what has put me off is looking at the reviews on the mainstream models - they date back to 2007! Pretty old products then (hence no DVB-T2).

Although I looked on the PCTV website and it has July 2012 dated drivers, but Hauppauge doesn't show anything, although the hauppauge suggests they have recent software updates. I've seen some cheapy ones on Amazon for £15. So I think I might give one of those a whirl, if its rubbish I'll send it back and try a PCTV or Hauppauge.

Either way, looks like none of them support DVB-T2 except for the PCTV 290e, which is over £50. So no HD channels! (the software can play HD, but the tuner can't receive it! Very misleading )
Old 30 August 2012, 01:44 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep, I didn't even try tuning mine to the HD Mux, but I'm sure it would be a waste of time.
Old 30 August 2012, 11:44 AM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a dual tuner one at home, its into a small form factor PC running Windows7 connected to my Tv in the lounge, its how we watch all our TV!

We just use Windows Media Center built into windows and its fantastic, 10day guide, schedule recordings, series link etc It'll pick up network shares to see files on my server/NAS and play with all the latest codecs.

I used to have a dual tuner PCI card by Hauppage but since getting the new PC with no expansion ports i got a MSI DIGIVOX Duo which has been ace, really fast channel changes and good signal.

I'm just waiting for a decent Dual DVB-T2 stick to come out at a sensible price so i can get freeview HD sorted.
Old 02 September 2012, 01:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Well I ended up buying a August DVB-T205 delivered a few days back £16 on amazon. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Internally its actually a Realtek DVB chip, so basically uses the same drivers as anything else using Realtek's chip

Remote control's a bit slow, but I have a remote keypad/touchpad which does the job much better.

Pity its not DVB-T2, but for £16 I'm not going to moan at that.