Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How did this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2012, 09:23 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did this happen?

One of my two laptops is a newish Sony Vaio. It has windows 7 home edition and uses windows live mail. It has mcAfee installed on it.

I was doing something on email when an email came through on live mail from paypal that I'd done a transaction, then another and another, so 3 in total. While I'm watching the emails come through, they all disappeared as if someone was deleting them
I jumped on my other laptop and changed all my passwords and refunded all the payments, which were only small amounts, although I'd imagine they were testing the water.

I've since then noticed some of my emails have gone astray and not in the selected folder I usually place them. I presume I've been hacked. Is there a way of telling for sure that I was and if they've now moved on to someone else, or even where it came from?
Old 20 August 2012, 01:06 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

def sounds hacked, my advice remove the email addy from anything important like paypal etc and start a fresh one with a strong password.