Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac mini or desktop equivalent

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2012, 05:40 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Mac mini or desktop equivalent

My current desktop has packed up so im looking for a replacement. Ive been looking at the basic Mac Mini as it looks nice and compact and can be upgraded quite easliy. It must be under Under £500 have a decent graphics card(HDMI out) not bothered about gaming but play hd films, so i can plug it into my Plasma TV and use in the living room as a media centre, come with an operating program, and be quiet whist in use.

Thanks in advance
Old 25 July 2012, 07:10 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Mac Mini with a trackpad. Ever tried using a mouse on your sofa.
Old 26 July 2012, 07:55 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the offer but would prefure new, or at least i5.
Old 26 July 2012, 07:59 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

just be mindful that the new mac minis dont have superdrives (dvd)

You'll need to either get a USB drive and/or rip your movies to a HD somehow.

BUT, as both the obvious style and tech choice, thumbs up for the Mac Mini.

Great bit of kit.
Old 26 July 2012, 09:46 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Yeah I have a 2tb external hard drive.
I take it that there is nothing comparable To the mac mini with a pc?
Old 26 July 2012, 10:17 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
Yeah I have a 2tb external hard drive.
I take it that there is nothing comparable To the mac mini with a pc?
Well there's plenty, you just need to know where to look

Off the top of my head:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=85
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/~D2700ITXS-A-E

Give them a call, let em know what you're after and I'm sure they can sort you out with a great machine for under £500.

J
Old 26 July 2012, 10:18 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Two different systems entirely , for style and reliability I'd go with the mac IMO

Trending Topics

Old 26 July 2012, 12:33 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The Mac Mini does look good, but I am a great believer of building your own PC. There are many mini ITX cases, though admittedly they won't look as sexy as the Mac Mini, that are small and sleek. If you're looking at i5 the graphics will be pretty good, definitely up to the task you require. For £500 you can build yourself a mini itx htpc with a superior spec to the Mac Mini. I believe the only thing you can upgrade on the Mac Mini without taking it back to the store is just the RAM and get charged over the odds for doing so. If expansion/upgradabilty is not a factor and you just want to "plug in and go", then the Mac Mini is hard to beat.
Old 26 July 2012, 01:26 PM
scouser321
Scooby Regular

I have upgraded hdd, ram and CPU on my brothers Mac mini for him. Pretty easy to do to be honest.

Lee
Old 26 July 2012, 05:33 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Apple openly say its easy to upgrade and ram is no more expensive than any other if you use crucial.

I've yet to see a Itx computer look as good and small as a mac mini
Old 31 July 2012, 09:25 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Well I've bit the bullet and bought a base model Mac Mini i5 2.3ghz. I'll probably up the ram as its quite cheap.
As I'm new to Macs is it still the case that anti virus is not required?
Old 31 July 2012, 10:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
Well I've bit the bullet and bought a base model Mac Mini i5 2.3ghz. I'll probably up the ram as its quite cheap.
As I'm new to Macs is it still the case that anti virus is not required?
Even Jack will tell you that only idiots wont rely on some form of security suite for their mac's, even the top security experts say that mac owners should invest in something to protect their machine, they are not untouchable as apple would want you to believe.

Tony
Old 31 July 2012, 10:47 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Thought it was best that check first, is there a good free program? I've been using microsoft security essentials and malwarebytes.
Old 31 July 2012, 11:45 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

get the free sophos mac version, does the job quite well
Old 01 August 2012, 07:07 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

My copy of Mountain Lion is set to only run apps from the App Store using Gatekeeper. This has reduced my risk to a far more manageable level, I don't run Antivirus.

However, as mentioned I would never recommend this, Sophos is free and I doubt you'll notice it running.
Old 01 August 2012, 10:42 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys I may be back with more questions
Old 01 August 2012, 11:28 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've been looking into this recently as a solution to enabling my TV with a bit more network useability.

Mac mini ticks alot of boxes, except the price. As I don't think I'd really use it enough to warrant it - it'd be mainly for streaming, odd bit of browsing and email. Anything else more in depth would be tackled by the desktop, so its alot of money for something thats not really going to be used to its full capeability.

That was when I tried looking for a PC equivelent. Not much about. Well, not any cheaper than a mac mini.

For example a AsRock Vision 3D barebones is about £540 for an i3 plus RAM, HDD and OS. Ouch.

However drop your CPU specs to a Atom dual core and options open massively as you cen get a nettop for a much more nicer price. For example AsRock Ion, or even cheap a Lenovo Q180 (which look pretty cool for the price).

The big question is....will a dual core intel atom CPU be up to the jobs you want it to do?

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 August 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01 August 2012, 12:13 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If streaming media is all that you'll be doing, Boxee may be a good alternative. www.boxee.tv
Old 01 August 2012, 01:25 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I have a few Eeepc's that will stream and browse the web no problem, shop around at the right time and they can be had for under £100.
Old 09 August 2012, 12:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

< thread hijack>

Well, i went and bought a Lenovo q180 -fastest Atom dual core cpu you can get. 4gb ram 500gig hd full win7 os (home premium), Toslink output, SD card slot and USB3.0 connectors (front only - the 4 on the rear are USB2 ). About the size of a A5 piece of paper and an inch thick. The important thing for me is a VGA output as the old Plasma in my bedroom has no HDMi or DVi connections (it uses a MDR-26 DFP connector- predates DVi,and carries the same video signal protocol as DVi...except it also has audio and standby/remote control signals which aren't HDMi/CEC compatible ).

Got to admit its a nice bit of kit. WiFi range suffers (which can kill the streaming..works better stood up on the stand) but my wifi network is a mess at the moment after having a Superhub, so thats a work in progress. The VESA monitor/tv mount bracket is a super idea to hide it away.

Bought a Xenta mini remote keypad to use with which does the job barring the rubber keys are a bit hard to press (bit like a sinclair spectrum ), the lenovo remote keypad probably would have been the better choice, but its alot more money,

I think it may struggle on streaming 1080, but thats more network limitations more than anything IMO (even a 300mbps link can only throughput 80mbps - typically 40mbps once you move away from the router which is roughly what I'm getting).

Cooling fan is rather loud in a quiet room, but not too intrusive, and inaudible once playing music/Tv etc, as a reference its about as loud as a Nitendo Wii. HD is quiet though which is good as clunky HDs drive me nuts. PSU gives a faint squeel when the pc is turned off, which could be annoying in a bedroom depending on how sensitive your hearing is ( I have very sensitive hearing ), also makes a pulsing squeel in standby due to power light flashing.

The final compliment is no ultra bright LEDs just soft white ones for power and HD I have a pure hatred for ultra bright LEDs especially blue, needlessly blinking away in the corner of my eye (refer to me calling the super hub a illuminated christmas tree ).

All in all - 7.5/10. Sure its no mini mac, but blows away any 'smart-tv' or media box - so long as the local network is up to scratch. And don't use it for ripping DVDs (or mp3s).

< /hijack >