Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Creating a bootable iso from a bootable USB stick

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2012, 03:44 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Creating a bootable iso from a bootable USB stick

Has anyone achieved this? I'm trying to do this as a bios upgrade froa server is via usb stick only but I want to do it remotely via an iso file. I want to convert the bootable usb stick created by the bios tool into a bootable iso so I can mount it remotely and boot from that.

I've got ultraiso and magiciso but not having much luck currently. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 26 June 2012, 05:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See if this has anything useful within.
Old 26 June 2012, 07:11 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the link, i've got a way around it although not working yet.

I've got a win98se boot iso, opened it up in magiciso and added the bios files. However when it boots into dos and I do dir it only lists the original contents of the iso
Old 26 June 2012, 09:41 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Every solution runs into a brick wall

I have looked up creating the bootable section of an iso and extracted a bif file in magic iso of an already bootable iso. (this basically just allows you to add that working boot partition to a new iso)

So the idea is then just to add the files I need to that bootable partition which you can do in magiciso/ultraiso.

However the .bif files is limited to 1.44mb and the files I want to add for the bios file take it over that size so wont fit

I am really running out of ideas now
Old 27 June 2012, 01:47 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have look on this

http://www.overclock.net/t/454236/ho...nd-video-cards

or this can help too

http://www.biosflash.de/e/bios-boot-usb-stick.htm

Jura
Old 27 June 2012, 06:41 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Hi Jura, thanks for the links however a bootable usb stick is the method I don't want to use and replace it with either a bootable iso or diskette img. This is so I can mount the img/iso remotely, something obviously I can't do if it's doe via usb stick.

I've got a shed load of servers in a data centre that need bios updates and the manufacturer only supplies bios updates via an extractable usb image which is of no use if you want to manage servers remotely.

I've managed to get hold of some bootable isos such as dos6 or win98 but when you try to edit the boot files the size of that partition is limited to 1.44mb and the bios files are larger than that so i've had no luck injecting them into an existing bootable iso/img.

Again i've found a method that worked if you were then burning the iso to a cd but again that defeats the object as a cd needs to be local like the usb stick (running the cd image as an iso doesn't work as it involves mapping a drive the local cd rom to mount the files which then uses the local cd rom drive on the server, not the mounted iso file).

Having researched how to do this a fair bit (although i'm way off being any good at it!) I made a few bootable isos based on 2.88mb floppy images however it clearly stated not all bios support such bootable images and when I tried them they failed.

I cant believe there isn't a way to take a bootable usb drive and make a bootable iso of it.