Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS4 should it be simple or complicated.

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2011, 03:18 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS4 should it be simple or complicated.

Personally i think it should just be a games machine.Therefore no cooling problems and can add big powerful chips etc.Don't want backwards compatibility either.What do you think ?.

SB T.

Last edited by ScooByer Trade; 11 December 2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11 December 2011, 03:34 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

but then you'd need to keep the ps3 for blue ray discs
Old 11 December 2011, 03:49 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it comes out next year as they are saying it will then it should be backward compatible imo, otherwise I will be mightly pissed off The ps3 hasnt even touched the surface really yet, current games are no way near pushing it to its limits.
Old 11 December 2011, 04:08 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

I only thought this because, the PS3 has had so many faults.With it being complicated and all that.
Old 11 December 2011, 04:11 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

It's not really that complicated though, if you compare it to a gaming pc, the components are pretty similar. The faults are usually down to poor design or bad manufacturing.
Old 11 December 2011, 04:40 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
If it comes out next year as they are saying it will then it should be backward compatible imo, otherwise I will be mightly pissed off The ps3 hasnt even touched the surface really yet, current games are no way near pushing it to its limits.
If that's the case, why does battlefield 3 have better graphics on the latest pc's?
Old 11 December 2011, 04:48 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Because the latest PC gfx cards are more advanced than the vid chip used in a ps3 and have better drivers/features.
Old 11 December 2011, 05:45 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

It was just you said "current games are nowhere near pushing it's limit"

So it seems to me it's limits have been reached if the graphics are better on a pc?
Old 11 December 2011, 06:08 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

No gfx detail is a completely different thing. PC gfx have always been better than a console and always will be.

The ps3 limits can be pushed on the cpu front is what I meant. Current games arent stressing the cpu much, even Sony states this.
Old 11 December 2011, 06:26 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
It was just you said "current games are nowhere near pushing it's limit"

So it seems to me it's limits have been reached if the graphics are better on a pc?
The PS3 suffers from being an 'also-ran' to the Xbox 360. The xBox was far more popular for a long while. They both have about even numbers of users now I believe.

So games are developed for the (less powerful) xBox and then ported to the PS3 to save development costs. That way the full potential of the machine isn't realised.
Old 11 December 2011, 06:27 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Let's hope they actually release a console that lives up to the hype this time, instead of telling us how powerful the PS3 was supposed to be, over and above the 360.
Old 11 December 2011, 06:31 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by boxst
So games are developed for the (less powerful) xBox and then ported to the PS3 to save development costs. That way the full potential of the machine isn't realised.
I don't fully agree with that.... whilst it may be true to a small degree, you only have to look at something like GT5 that spent years and years in dev (by SONY), yet Forza 4 is hardly any "less" imo.

I personally think Sony have been full of **** with the PS3 and what it's meant to be capable of.
Old 11 December 2011, 07:35 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Doubt ill ever buy a PS again, after owning the ps1 ps2 ps3 from lanuch day they dropped the ball so much with this door stop(ps3) they promised its would great and it really is a let down, no reason the ps4 will be any better
Old 11 December 2011, 10:09 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I haven't had any issues with my PS3 and the features are great as a media server.
Old 12 December 2011, 11:01 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I've had no issues with mine either, and when I got it was one of the cheapest Blu-Ray players on the market so I got a decent Blu-Ray player and added bonus of being able to get games on it too
Old 12 December 2011, 11:56 AM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

I've had my phat PS3 for 6 years, suddenly i got YLOD.Thermal paste should fix it.
Old 12 December 2011, 12:21 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No issues with my PS3 from day one it's been solid, it was worth the purchase purely for the Uncharted series.

I wasn't even aware they were devloping a PS4 lol, you know you're getting older when news like that slips you by....

I'd like the PS4 to be backwards compatible and to retain its media server facilities and to be a reliable as my PS3 has been as well as retaining free access to on line gaming
Old 12 December 2011, 12:47 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Sony will have to release a ps4 as Microsoft will no doubt officially announce the next Xbox next year and whether you think the ps3 still has some legs in it or not a lot of people will ditch their ps3's when something new comes along and if Sony don't announce a new console then they will lose ground to the Xbox which they can't afford to do.
Old 12 December 2011, 12:58 PM
nick type r
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I went through 3 old style ps3 in a year. 2 with fan problems and one just wouldnt turn on. Iv had the slim one for a couple of years now and no probs yet.
I cant see the ps4 coming out next year tho.
Old 12 December 2011, 05:10 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

The best idea i can come up with, for the phat ps3.Is to place a fan behind it to blow cool air into it, to stop it overheating and melting the chips inside.
Old 12 December 2011, 06:32 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick type r
I went through 3 old style ps3 in a year. 2 with fan problems and one just wouldnt turn on. Iv had the slim one for a couple of years now and no probs yet.
I cant see the ps4 coming out next year tho.
I don't think the ps4 will come out next year, or a new Xbox but I would expect both will be announced next year for release the year after
Old 12 December 2011, 06:46 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure there is more info out there but this came up on the first page of Google.

X-box 720 ??

http://www.t3.com/news/ps4-release-d...t-style-gaming
Old 13 December 2011, 02:40 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooByer Trade
The best idea i can come up with, for the phat ps3.Is to place a fan behind it to blow cool air into it, to stop it overheating and melting the chips inside.
Never blow - you suck air in and draw it over the components to be cooled. Thats why aftermarket coolers seldom work, theyre all trying to blow.
Old 13 December 2011, 12:03 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
That way the full potential of the machine isn't realised.
This was all over the news a few months ago..
Update - October 2011
Developers of the Uncharted franchise, one of the most successful to launch on the Playstation 3, made an announcement today in which they state "The Playstation 3 could not sustain another installment of Uncharted". The announcement went into details about plans the developers had to improve the franchise but the current technological capabilities of the Playstation 3 would not be able to support such plans. This was a shocking announcement to the industry, with many of the experts arguing that the Playstation 3 has yet to be pushed to its true limits suddenly silenced by this information
The PS3 hit it's peak ages ago.
Old 13 December 2011, 01:26 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

No ****! lol
Old 13 December 2011, 01:56 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I think that they should make the next generation PS backwards compatible with the PS3 which should include the obligatory built in Blu Ray player.

Personally I find the PS3 a far better machine in terms of what it can do than the XBOX 360 (and yes I have both machines), the built in Blu Ray player was and is for me the decider after the half hearted introduction of the HD DVD player for the '360; did anyone on this forum actually buy one? And if so does it make a good door stop?

If the PS3 and the XBOX 360 had both been launched on the same day then I am not so sure that the '360 would ever have achieved it's market share.
Old 13 December 2011, 06:28 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Firstly I'm no 360 fanboy (just to make that clear first off). I own several 360's and a couple of PS3's.

Yes I bought and still have a HD Drive (still have it)..... how on earth you, I or anyone else would of known what the BD vs HD outcome was going to be is unknown. What happened, happened.

With regards to the outcome of the current gen. possibly being any different..... what happened, happened (again lol). Regardless of "what could of been", we now have another popular alternative to the Sony machine. Fairplay to MS.... it took ***** and has paid off imo.

You now have a grounded situation of some people will stick with MS and others will stick with Sony. Much to Sony's disgust! Face it.... MS have seriously pissed off Sony and their grand plan.

This changes nothing for me as I will buy the Vita, PS4 and 720...... but Sony have bull****ted us all about what the PS3 was capable of. We need to accept that and move on.

Last edited by Shaun; 13 December 2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 13 December 2011, 07:58 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I would have still chosen the xbox over the ps3 even if they had been released on the same day and same price, the reason being that I much prefer the Xbox control pad which ultimately has to be good as you hold it for hours on end playing the games.
I'll admit I have big hands but for me the Xbox wins because it has a better control pad.
Old 13 December 2011, 08:24 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I've grown up with the playstation controller so I actually prefer it over the xbox controller.
Old 13 December 2011, 08:56 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Shaun, the reason that Blu Ray overtook HD DVD was quite simple and a master stroke from Sony; it was part of the PS3's integral hardware and so the user did not need to spend £xxx to intergrate it into their system.

The Blu Ray format was better supported from the off as with the PS3 it's user base outgrew HD DVD from the very first day of the PS3 release.

Remember that the PS3 and a stand alone Blu Ray player were about the same price when the PS3 was released, a bit of a no brainer really and with firmware updates the PS3 is still one of the better Blu Ray players on the market.

Quick Reply: PS4 should it be simple or complicated.