Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Best way to secure a MAC?

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2011, 04:08 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to secure a MAC?

With a business property near my office just having an attempted break in with a full set of tools to overcome any obstacle I have just installed and set up "Prey" on my imac and macbook and locked the firmware password.

Is there any use doing it? or will they just wipe my mac and sell it on with no trouble? or is there something better....
Old 22 September 2011, 05:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you have a backup procedure in place, preferably offsite, or to media which is hidden away somewhere else (maybe a NAS somewhere).
If someone nicks the hardware then, as you say, they will probably just wipe it and sell it on. Insurance should cover the theft, and so you'll be able to get new hardware and so all you need to do is restore your data.

I think there is a Find My Mac feature, which works in a similar way to Find my iPhone, but I cannot recall if it's a Lion only feature. That might help in tracking down stolen machines.