Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Fibre broadband what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2011, 11:36 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fibre broadband what to expect?

Getting my broadband upgraded to what is essentially BT Infinity next week (i.e. fibre to cabinet), through Plusnet though rather than BT.

Due to my rather average ADSL speed of between 2-3Mbps, typically hovers around 2.5Mbps, my estimated speed for fibre is only 9Mbps. Still a 3-4 times speed improvement but why so low? Thought the whole idea of it is that the analogue bit only operates between my house and the nearest street side cabinet then it's fibre back to the exchange. Now I'm a shade over two miles from the exchange hence the poor speed but the nearest cabinet that I've identified is only 200 yards away. What's the reality? Will I get a much higher speed than they've estimated? Like I say I'll be pleased with 9Mbps, any more is a bonus.
Old 20 September 2011, 12:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

adsl speeds and fibre ops speed are totaly sperate so you will only find out when it arrives.

im getting somewhere between 44 and 49mb/s on my virgin 50mb connection
Old 20 September 2011, 01:44 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
adsl speeds and fibre ops speed are totaly sperate so you will only find out when it arrives.

im getting somewhere between 44 and 49mb/s on my virgin 50mb connection
Virgin is a bit different because it is fibre to the house, whereas BT Infinity is fibre to the cabinet and then uses existing copper wires to the property.

I had it installed and my cabinet is about 200 metres from the house and I am getting 33Mb down and 8Mb up. This is pretty much inline with what the BT website suggested.

Coffin Dodger - have you been on the BT Infini website to see what their speed estimate is? All you need to do is put in your phone number and it will tell you. If it significantly higher than what Plusnet is quoting, then I think that you need to have a word with them.

The BT checker can be found below:-

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...?topicId=29017

Jason
Old 20 September 2011, 02:00 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Your broadband checker results
Broadband option Broadband speed range When you can get it Action
Faster Total Broadband Faster BT Total Broadband Faster BT Total BroadbandGreat news! You can now get faster download speeds using our upgraded fibre optic network. Faster Total Broadband is only available on our Unlimited Broadband and Calls package. 9.1Mb Now Learn more
Maybe the cabinet I see down the road is not the one we're connected too

Oh well see what happens when they hook it up
Old 20 September 2011, 02:33 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Not getting bits and bytes mixed up are you? I get an average of around 11 Mb/s on my ADSL which is 1.375 MB/s. So is the estimated speed you have been given 9MB/s? That would be 72Mb/s which is fast.
Old 20 September 2011, 02:38 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure all the numbers I talked about so far are mega bits not mega bytes

Infinity is up to 40 mega-bits per second so I definitely won't be getting 72Mb/s
Old 20 September 2011, 03:29 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Getting my broadband upgraded to what is essentially BT Infinity next week (i.e. fibre to cabinet), through Plusnet though rather than BT.

Due to my rather average ADSL speed of between 2-3Mbps, typically hovers around 2.5Mbps, my estimated speed for fibre is only 9Mbps. Still a 3-4 times speed improvement but why so low? Thought the whole idea of it is that the analogue bit only operates between my house and the nearest street side cabinet then it's fibre back to the exchange. Now I'm a shade over two miles from the exchange hence the poor speed but the nearest cabinet that I've identified is only 200 yards away. What's the reality? Will I get a much higher speed than they've estimated? Like I say I'll be pleased with 9Mbps, any more is a bonus.
3 to 4 times improvement over your current speed is what they aim for, so I would say that estimate is about right imo. However, they do give low estimates so you should get more in reality.

My ADSL2 line should be between 2-6mb, with an expected speed of 3.5mb. I get a rock solid 6.5mb. SO don't read too much into the figures BT are estimating.

Last edited by Shaun; 20 September 2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 20 September 2011, 03:38 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jsh1
Virgin is a bit different because it is fibre to the house, whereas BT Infinity is fibre to the cabinet and then uses existing copper wires to the property.

Jason
my Virgin broadband is to the cabinet and then copper to my house.

i have no probs getting

Old 20 September 2011, 04:28 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Holy **** Sinky!!
Old 20 September 2011, 04:36 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

oh she's faster than a Biafran chasing a meals on wheels van
Old 20 September 2011, 05:07 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
my Virgin broadband is to the cabinet and then copper to my house.

i have no probs getting

Photobucket blocked here but I expect it's a big number on a speed test.

Big difference with Virgin cabled areas is that the copper into your house is co-axial cable supporting a very high bandwidth (approx. 0-1GHz) compared to the crappy twisted copper pair (if you're lucky) provided by BT that was really ever only designed to carry voice i.e. 100Hz to 3.1kHz It's amazing really what they are achieving with ADSL.
Old 20 September 2011, 05:22 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Photobucket blocked here but I expect it's a big number on a speed test.

Big difference with Virgin cabled areas is that the copper into your house is co-axial cable supporting a very high bandwidth (approx. 0-1GHz) compared to the crappy twisted copper pair (if you're lucky) provided by BT that was really ever only designed to carry voice i.e. 100Hz to 3.1kHz It's amazing really what they are achieving with ADSL.
yes CD you are quite right. apples and oranges. 96.58Mbit down and 8.72 up. pretty solid I have to say. i was a bit dubious about the new superhub because of all the bad press it's getting on Cable Forum but I have to say mine has been spot on. most of my connections (media player, sat boxes, laptops, xboxes) are hardwired anyway and the Wireless seems to work for the Ipad and my phones. i dont shift that much across my network wirelessly anyway.

Last edited by bigsinky; 20 September 2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 20 September 2011, 05:42 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

my 50 meg on cable cuts the wireless connection at least 5 times a day starting to really annoy me now
Old 20 September 2011, 06:32 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

is the cabinet nearest you quite tall with high voltage stickers on it?

im still waiting for fttc,should be live at my exchange this month, im stuck with 2Mb/s atm and yet im a a stones throw from town :/
Old 21 September 2011, 10:43 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by acstua
is the cabinet nearest you quite tall with high voltage stickers on it?

im still waiting for fttc,should be live at my exchange this month, im stuck with 2Mb/s atm and yet im a a stones throw from town :/
you do realise in Belfast we throw stones farther than you
Old 21 September 2011, 03:03 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

I'm about 2.5miles from my exchange, struggled to 5 or 6 Mbps on ADSL 2. I'm 750M from my FTTC green box and I'm getting a good 33Mbps down, 8.3Mbps up via PlusNet. Can't fault that for < £11 a month!!!!

I'm a silly sod though, my last house was across the road from where they put the cab, mind you when I moved we had 33kbps dialup and thought that was fast