Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BB Drops Out, Tree Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2011, 07:31 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BB Drops Out, Tree Issues?

Hi

I've been having problems with my broadband dropping out. It's **** at best with the fastest ever speed still being below 2mb. It drops out regularly but normally if I reboot the router, it all works again.

However, the last couple of nights it's dropped out, a lot! It's also stayed out despite rebooting the router.

I looked at my phone line today, the bits I can see look ok... to the point where it disappear into trees! My line goes through two trees and over a stream! Both trees belong to different neighbours.

Could this be causing an issue. It does seem worse when it's wet and windy outside. If it is a problem, wires rubbing etc, who is responsible, me, the neighbours or BT?

Bob
Old 07 September 2011, 11:29 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

BT are responsible for the equipment up to your house, anything after the master socket is your responsibility.

Report the fault to them and get them to do the necessary line tests etc, they will then take the appropriate action to remedy the situation.

However, if they find that the fault lays within your property, they will charge you for the call out.

Jason
Old 09 September 2011, 01:52 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Also Bob check the router if its a cheap one, test a diff model ask a mate etc.

whos your BB with

take a look at your router inside ie via the webpage and check the Logs, but also in the part that says ADSL look for the SNB readings, when they are low like below 7.5 the lines drop, this is normally due to being miles from exchange or a bad line.

BT can fix this by attenuators or tuning your line a bit.

personally m8 try the new router first then log a call as the first thing TALkTALk muppets do or sky is send a new router,

I alsways try a diff make Belkin Netgear, some are better than others
Old 10 September 2011, 05:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Its always worth removing the master socket plate and plugging the modem straight into the test socket -preferably without a filter. (this is what tech support will ask you to do anyway).

If the BB works fine its a fault with the master socket or within your house's wiring.

If its still iffy, then its a fault outside of your house.

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 September 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 14 September 2011, 12:52 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Right...

I've looked in my logs and I can't find any mention of SNB...is there an alternative name, can't find anything via Google.

The Router is a Thomson one supplied by Plusnet circa 2 years ago, that said the one I had before was crap too. I've never gone more than about 3 or 4 days without having to reboot the router.

My master socket has a 'Telecom' 'T' on it so I'm guessing it's a bazillion years old! I took the faceplate off and plugged in to the master socket, albeit with a filter. I did a speedtest before and after which where near enough identical. The filter was plugged straight into the face plate anyway and I have a DECT phone so there are no extensions.

I managed to chat with a BT engineer yesterday, he said there wasn't much they could do about the trees as they're on private land. He did say they could put a new line in but it would probably do the same again, assuming there is damage to it.

It doesn't help that I'm about 3 or 4 miles from the (crap) exchange, and it's uphill It must be right out on a limb too, there aren't many houses beyond mine that are in the same STD code.

For what it's worth,

Ping: 50ms
Download: 1.88mbps
Upload: 0.37mbps
Old 14 September 2011, 03:11 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

might be DB or something

U got anyway of testing a diff router Bob ? worth a Punt some hold the line better have better Modems in
Old 14 September 2011, 04:07 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

How long did you leave the router plugged in to the test socket before running the speedtest? When you plug in to the test socket, your sync speed will/may increase immediately (assuming there is a problem with the master socket) but the IP profile won't increase for up to 24 hours.

So, if you looked at the router status page you would see that the sync speed increased but running a speedtest from speedtest.net for example wouldn't show you the increased speed for approximately 24 hours until the profile has retrained to match the higher sync speed.

If the line is consistently dropping in wet weather then ask BT to do a "lift and shift". They will switch your phone line on to a different card in the exchange. I've had a user experience this wet weather problem and I'm sure it was a lift and shift that fixed it. Either that or BT ran a new cable to the pole. Both of which they will do if you pester them enough.

Last edited by LostUser; 14 September 2011 at 04:09 PM.