Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cheap (ish) NAS - this one seem OK?

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2011, 11:06 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buffalo?
http://www.buffalo-technology.com/pr...kstation-live/

had an older linkstation live and it was pretty good for fairly cheap
Old 12 August 2011, 09:17 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Not strictly a NAS but just bought one of these:

http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/prol...ver/index.html

Comes in around £130 after the cashback, then got a 4GB memory stick for it (£35), 2*2TB hard drives (£110), and Windows Home Server 2011 (£35). The latter is supposed to be compatible with PCs, MACs, LINUX, etc. Total cost ~£310 for 2Tb of RAID1 storage. You could scale the above to your requirements. For me it's a great starting point for a centralised home network and I still have two drive bays free in the box so can easily double to 4TB as the need arises.
Old 12 August 2011, 09:40 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

Comes in around £130 after the cashback, then got a 4GB memory stick for it (£35), 2*2TB hard drives (£110), and Windows Home Server 2011 (£35). The latter is supposed to be compatible with PCs, MACs, LINUX, etc. Total cost ~£310 for 2Tb of RAID1 storage. You could scale the above to your requirements. For me it's a great starting point for a centralised home network and I still have two drive bays free in the box so can easily double to 4TB as the need arises.
CD,

Do you know if the "raw" hardware supports VMware ESXi? Now that would be really interesting!

mb
Old 13 August 2011, 03:43 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

you can also use unRaid on those boxes (or most other pc hardware) to make a decent NAS
Old 14 August 2011, 11:23 AM
acstua
Scooby Regular

ah i didnt think you wanted all that
Synologys are good little boxes, ive a twin bay at work thats pretty good, quite like the control for it, kinda web based OS looking thing

can also look at QNAP boxes, very similar NAS
Old 14 August 2011, 11:52 AM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

I've got a Netgear Stora - bloody amazing

It can take 2 3.5" SATA drives and either mirror or span between them (ive got mirroring setup with 2x 2TB drives giving 2TB usable space)

Managed via a web interface and best of all you can even access all your files via the web anywhere in the world!

Bargain on the moment i think.

I've actually got a full server 2003 box at home with a hardware RAID5 card in it so the stora is just the backup for that, got a robocopy job running every night to keep everything in sync.
Old 14 August 2011, 03:49 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I have Thecus and QNAP NAS boxes, and although both do what they're designed to do, I prefer the QNAP web-interface - which is important if you're going to be doing things other than just storing of backing-up files on there (such as media streaming, bit-torrent, web server, SQL etc)
Old 15 August 2011, 09:40 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
CD,

Do you know if the "raw" hardware supports VMware ESXi? Now that would be really interesting!

mb
Sorry, no idea on that front, but do a search on the HP Proliant Microserver and there's loads of info out there. Massive thread on AVForums.

Built mine on the weekend with Windows Home Server 2011, very smooth and painless install

Just got to move all the crap I have got on various PCs onto it. Intention is to backup photos, music, video etc. onto DVD-R as I do it. Probably get a big USB hard drive to back up the entire server at some point too. Can't have enough copies of stuff
Old 15 August 2011, 11:40 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

CD,

mb
Sure does I have one running ESX4i U1 from a flash drive on the mobo with 8GB RAM and a pair of 2TB WD Greens configured RAID 1
Old 26 August 2011, 10:52 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

Try as i might, i just can't avoid repeatedly seeing this "bargain" - eBuyer, Misco, El Reg adverts etc., so i think that i am being drawn in It looks like the "ton back" offer is being extended until the end of September n'all

So, one final question (and yes, i am going to trawl AVforums as well) - what disks do you use? An "official" HP 2TB disk is over GBP450 (and 500GB is £226 at Misco) so what other disks do you suggest (and ones that fit properly rather than blutac-ing into the slots

I will probably buy/install an optical drive as well - even though i have a spare external USB one that i can use.

Cheers,

mb
Old 26 August 2011, 10:55 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

any sata drive , i doubt theres anything special about them
i use Samsung HDD's at present

Storage controller
(1) Integrated 4 port SATA RAID Serial ATA-300
etc
Old 26 August 2011, 10:55 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by markr1963
Sure does I have one running ESX4i U1 from a flash drive on the mobo with 8GB RAM and a pair of 2TB WD Greens configured RAID 1
Eeek - now i am tempted to buy two. One as a file server with Win Home Server and one as a "play box" running ESXi and various OSes!

mb
Old 27 August 2011, 08:46 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the hijack, but can someone explain a NAS is exactly in simpleton terms?
Old 27 August 2011, 11:18 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Network Attached Storage

Basically a box the plugs into your network and is used to store files. It can be a dedicated box such as the Buffalo mentioned above or a normal computer configured to act like a file store (as per the HP Microserver running Windows Home Server).

Advantages include the ability to share files between many devices (laptops, destops, even over the Interwebs), one place to backup (and if you RAID the disks you can also survive a hardware failure) and other stuffs but i'll let you Google that .

For less than £200 plus the cost of the (large) disks, the Microserver is actually cheaper than most dedicated boxes and can do more that a bog-standard NAS box.

mb
Old 27 August 2011, 11:52 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Nice one, thanks Boomer.

It sounds like it works a bit like how iCloud will work?

I've been looking over the internet trying to find out how to stream content from the Mac Mini to PS3, but it seems a bit difficult to sort it out. Would the NAS be the simple answer?

Last edited by drb5; 27 August 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 27 August 2011, 11:57 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have a BT hub they can have a external drive plugged in and be used as per a NAS type setup (which I suppose it is really)
Old 30 August 2011, 09:48 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Try as i might, i just can't avoid repeatedly seeing this "bargain" - eBuyer, Misco, El Reg adverts etc., so i think that i am being drawn in It looks like the "ton back" offer is being extended until the end of September n'all

So, one final question (and yes, i am going to trawl AVforums as well) - what disks do you use? An "official" HP 2TB disk is over GBP450 (and 500GB is £226 at Misco) so what other disks do you suggest (and ones that fit properly rather than blutac-ing into the slots

I will probably buy/install an optical drive as well - even though i have a spare external USB one that i can use.

Cheers,

mb

At the moment got two Western Digital 2Tb Caviar Green SATA II drives but as mentioned any SATA drive should fit. Got them from Aria for around £55 each but they seem to out of stock at the moment.

Memory upgrade came from ebuyer: http://www.ebuyer.com/244940-kingsto...-kth-pl313e-4g

And finally Windows Home Server 2011 for here: http://www.cclonline.com/product/587...-2011/SFT0108/
Old 31 August 2011, 10:52 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thanks CD, although there is now another spanner in the ointment

Looks like HP are about to extend their range of Microservers, and as i am not really bothered about a few more CPU mega-hurtz i am hoping that the "old" model will get even more than the current £100 cash-back

And with RAM prices plummeting, they may even be paying me to take one off their hands

Cheers,

mb