Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Computer Wars...

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2011, 11:52 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Computer Wars...

Considering people are getting a bit wound up on the Lion OS thread, and it was suggested a new thread was started to discuss certain issues, I thought I'd kindly help out.

It never ceases to amaze me that people fail to be able to share opinions on this board in an adult manner without taking it all too seriously.

But it seems that two people commonly clash and perhaps bait each other a tiny bit, so I thought, here's a thread where you can both have it out with each other (whatever it is) where it doesn't upset people on other threads.

I'm not keen on going deleting opinions, so I'll just ask for the one highlighted to go back on topic, and for this one to be used for a full on Apple vs The other stuff war (I'm sure you can all tell I know nothing about all this technical stuff )

I'm giving you guys a proper platform to argue your points in an attempt to give other threads a breather, not because I don't think people have the right to a certain opinion, quite the opposite.

What I don't want to see is complaints rolling in regarding this thread. It's a blank canvas for opinions, away from more specific threads. If people don't like the comments, leave the thread (unless of course people start calling each other ***** etc.)

Have fun

(it was worth a try...I think)

Last edited by Lisawrx; 22 July 2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 22 July 2011, 12:07 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I find this thread an insult and would like it removed. Seriously.
Old 22 July 2011, 12:12 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fine by me Lisa, let's do it

Originally Posted by JackClark
Yes, I bet you would

So in the meantime are you going to dispute my statement regarding Flash not being able to run as well as it might due to Apple's refusal to allow Adobe to use its hardware acceleration unlike it does for H264 for instance?
Old 22 July 2011, 12:14 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Here you go:

OS X Lion disables Flash hardware acceleration
Old 22 July 2011, 12:26 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

RTM'd - wholly unimpressive.

Not because of the Jack/F1 issue though.

THis place is getting worse and worse. Will be shocked if this thread is about in the morning.
Old 22 July 2011, 12:33 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
RTM'd - wholly unimpressive.

Not because of the Jack/F1 issue though.

THis place is getting worse and worse. Will be shocked if this thread is about in the morning.
Er .... but it was started by a mod, does that mean if it gets deleted she has to infract herself?

Anyway what's wrong with a bit of computer fight club... put 'em up
Old 22 July 2011, 01:15 AM
Lisawrx

It's not supposed to be an insult to anyone.

Thread after thread like the one I mentioned get reported regularly because of disagreements on them and claims of trolling etc. I simply started this one to allow one place where the Apple vs other computers/systems/technology can be discussed without clouding other threads. It was your bloody idea....sort of. Whether or not it was a good idea is open to question, but my motive was to try and help the majority of members by helping other threads stay on topic, certainly not to offend anyone, and I take offence to the suggestion I was personally attacking.

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Er .... but it was started by a mod, does that mean if it gets deleted she has to infract herself?

Anyway what's wrong with a bit of computer fight club... put 'em up
If needs be (and I can do it) I'll infract myself, or another mod/admin can do that to me. Bloody hell, I honestly thought this may help in some way.

Oh and to add, I honestly didn't expect a 'naughty' word to show up, but given previous problems, I should've checked first. So for that I apologise and I have naturally editted it out.
Old 22 July 2011, 01:20 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Right, and you reckon they'll keep it to this one thread and not take other threads OT? Somehow I seriously doubt it.

Delete this thread and ban the pair of them for six months. If they re-register, or use any other account within that time, ban those accounts and their originals for good.

Apple fanboy or not, I am seriously fed up with both of them from polluting threads, trolling each other. Don't give me the whole "it's an opinion" bollocks, I think we all know it's not and it really is a game of trying to one-up each other. It's not big, hard or clever and the pair of you should know far, far better.
Old 22 July 2011, 01:32 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

**** you Marcus, don't put a foot wrong or I'm on your case. I'm fed up with your self righteous attitude and blatant advertising but you don't hear me whining.
Old 22 July 2011, 01:33 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Markus
Right, and you reckon they'll keep it to this one thread and not take other threads OT? Somehow I seriously doubt it.
I don't know, but a different approach to just infracting/banning seemed worth a try, and only time will tell. If I'm wrong, fair enough.

If any other mod or admin thinks this was a totally bad idea, and thinks I was out of line, then fair play, do as they will. This thread can be deleted and I'll accept what comes my way.
Old 22 July 2011, 01:36 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You started a thread about me and I don't appreciate it. Take a look at Policy then consider your actions. I've stated this thread is an insult and I want it removed.
Old 22 July 2011, 01:42 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

**** you Marcus, don't put a foot wrong or I'm on your case. I'm fed up with your self righteous attitude and blatant advertising but you don't hear me whining.
Excuse me? Care to explain what you mean by blanant advertising?
Old 22 July 2011, 01:45 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

OK people come on, maybe things have gone a bit far here. Look if it helps remove the thread and delete the posts on the other thread, it's just a forum on the Internet after all and there is no point getting all irate and upset about things for real.

My posting style grates with some, I get that, but on the other hand I do find Jack's a little, shall we say biased, in the direction of a certain fruit like company. I will promise to be less vociferous in my objections and post less if he agrees to just be a little more considerate to those of us who actually quite like Flash for example. It isn't all bad y'know

As for you Lisa even if it is deemed to be a bad idea by others I know you posted this with the best of intentions so don't worry about it and for me it was better than the usual delete and cloak of silence approach form the other mods so kudos to you.
Old 22 July 2011, 01:45 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Go pretend to be a moderator somewhere else Marcus. You've shown your cards.

Last edited by JackClark; 22 July 2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 22 July 2011, 06:28 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

I have to say good on apple.

Why allow a third party a developer platform layer in between your api and the outside world?! Apple release new interface features and someone else controls whether they can be accessed or not.

I wouldn't put up with it either.
Old 22 July 2011, 07:18 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

As for you Lisa even if it is deemed to be a bad idea by others I know you posted this with the best of intentions so don't worry about it and for me it was better than the usual delete and cloak of silence approach form the other mods so kudos to you.
for once I agree, this is like a little nerds fight group
Old 22 July 2011, 08:22 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha PSML at this thread. you guys really need to get out more.

Last edited by bigsinky; 22 July 2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 22 July 2011, 09:10 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I think that Lisa felt it necessary to create this thread speaks volumes for the actions of certain people.

I also think that those people's reactions to this thread speak volumes regarding their attitude (and my personal respect for them accordingly has shifted)

People come on here to ask for opinions on the hardware / software / firmware they run and don't want to get mired down in bitch-fests about which OS is better / crap / whatever.

If you have a valid opinion which HELPS someone then help them, posting to just slate something IS trolling, and responding to that in a derogatory manner is also against the rules.

There's a world of difference between:
"Please be aware that flash animations / playback can be poor using an Apple OS as there is limited hardware acceleration available"
&
"Apple is sh*t, they block Flash 'cos they hate it"

Then there is also a world of difference between
"Yup, you're right - Apple made the decision to restrict Flash playback for valid business reasons"
to
"F*ck off. I hate you. Take some pills."

Seriously?

I'm locking this thread as it's going to go nowhere, but have renamed it to address Jack's concern about the initial title. It was a valid attempt by Lisa to get the latest slating session out of a useful thread, but clearly it's not going to work.

If you have an issue with this decision, please take it to policy and we'll discuss it there

Last edited by Kieran_Burns; 22 July 2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: address Jack's concern