Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dieing Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2011, 06:31 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dieing Monitor

Turned on my PC this morning but screen stayed blank although green power button was on. I checked connection which seemed fine and jiggled monitor about a bit and picture came on.

So is it on its way out do you reckon - it is about 4 years old - or am I missing something obvious? How the hell do I check it out?

I moved house recently and chucked out my collection of old screens clearing up the loft and as we now live in the sticks I can't just pop down the road and get a new one from PC World or similar.

I'll check out Google for good value screens while it's still working so at least I can note down an on-line source for a new one. Any tips as to good deals? Present screen is a 19" LG make.

We did have about 6 power cuts yesterday so those may have contributed to the problem.

Thanks, David

(hoping to view any replies)
Old 12 July 2011, 09:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
The first thing I'd check is the monitor cable from the PC. Are the plugs secure (i.e. screwed in properly!)?

Dave
Yep I did check the cable and connections at each end and all seemed OK and fitted with screws tightened. Could still have been those I suppose. Screen OK at the moment, as you can tell

Found some screen sources on-line. About £100 -> £140 for a 22". Any advantages/disadvantages with a widescreen monitor? My old widescreen TV used to distort the image a bit.

d
Old 12 July 2011, 11:00 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

A wide screen won't distort if the resolution is set right