Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Playbook

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2011, 08:44 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Playbook

So 6 months later, it launches (US only) and how is it faring ?

I know a lot of blackberry fans were looking forward to this and I was too because the specs on it seemed decent, a good size and the hardware looked pretty damn good.

Aside from being an Apple user, I thought that it might actually be a worthy competitor to the iPad.
Sadly it seems not

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-te...e-534?page=0,0

Shame really for all the millions of blackberry users
Old 23 April 2011, 09:47 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Snazy is going to buy one, his iPad is rubbish.
Old 24 April 2011, 09:04 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from reading that a bit more in-depth, it would seem that whilst RIM haven't exactly done a stirling job, a lot of the issues seem to be with AT&T not allowing the services...

Not that it matters a toss to me - I am still failing to see the point of tablets in general, aside from the gadget/shiny-toy aspect.
Meh.
Old 24 April 2011, 09:57 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Not that it matters a toss to me - I am still failing to see the point of tablets in general, aside from the gadget/shiny-toy aspect.
Absolutely. Apple have the best product in an invented market sector that no one truly needs.

The announcment this week about the iPad2 running the driving game (can't rmember the name of it) in HD when output to a TV seemed to completely miss the point that if you have a TV to hand you may as well use a proper games console with a proper controller and a proper game ... surely the advantage of the iPad is its portability
Old 24 April 2011, 10:58 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

That is the point. You can take the iPad with you, a quick blast on a playstation whilst taking a dump just isn't going to happen.
Old 24 April 2011, 11:29 AM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by JackClark
That is the point. You can take the iPad with you, a quick blast on a playstation whilst taking a dump just isn't going to happen.

That's what I love about my iPhone, browsing the net whilst taking a dump
Old 24 April 2011, 12:12 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Will

That's what I love about my iPhone, browsing the net whilst taking a dump
+1

Trending Topics

Old 24 April 2011, 12:15 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I can browse and wipe at the same time. Remember that next time you think no one needs a tablet Grandma.
Old 24 April 2011, 01:52 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I can browse and wipe at the same time. Remember that next time you think no one needs a tablet Grandma.
So you wipe your **** on your iPad.... iWipe perchance?

Oh and no one needed a tablet until Apple told you sheep otherwise. First time round they never caught on, then Apple make one and you've all got hard ons for it... it's fecking laughable
Old 24 April 2011, 02:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You're just to dim to understand what multitouch and a cracking user experience can do.

I don't have an iPad, unhygienic.
Old 24 April 2011, 02:29 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Meh.
There isnt much point to them, none are that user friendly, they give you aching arms and neck ache after 15 mins of use due to the position you have to get yourself in to use them, the concept is good but I doubt they will excel in any area, the next BIG step is duel and quad core mobile handsets, the duel core already being available

Tony
Old 24 April 2011, 02:54 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've seen the playbook hooked up to a 52" TV via HDMI, and the default reading app on it looks rather nice but I've not had a chance to play with one yet, perhaps this week when things have calmed down.

Pretty sure there was some driving game and Tetris being "evaluated" whilst the playbook was hooked up as well
Old 24 April 2011, 05:13 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

You're just to dim to understand what multitouch and a cracking user experience can do.
Too dim I may be, but at least I can construct grammar properly
Old 25 April 2011, 10:45 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I will add one caveat on tablet applications (and real ones - not for kids and boredom-killers): and this isn't platform native.

I work in audio, and they have proven quiet effective in remote set-up applications - 2 spring to mind:

1. You've seen the BIG line array speaker towers at gigs? They're usually on motorised rigs, which can be set up remotely via laptop/tablet. Useful, if you're in the middle of a stadium.
2. Remote control of a recording-studio computer for a solo artist. Can't be pressing "record" in one room, whilst performing in another..... (this one I use a fair bit - but using my iphone or when I offload the phone, I'll use my spare macbook pro with Apple Remote Desktop)

But fair play to all of these tablet manufacturers - they've jumped onto a market that didn't exist. My kids are sold on having Ipads/equivalents.
They just seem like a toy to me - and this is probably just my opinion. I have no need for one really, when I've got so many other wireless tools.

But back on topic - playbook...... hmmmmm......
Old 26 April 2011, 07:58 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I've just found the Autodesk WS app, that's a good idea for tablet use. Can store all drawings on it and look at them in the field easier than a laptop.
Old 26 April 2011, 11:07 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm waiting to get one when I can (anyone coming back from the States/Canada in the next couple of weeks? ). We have BBs @work on a BES so its designed for people like me. I find my BB screen a bit on the small side, so a device like this will be very helpful extension. Plans for use othere than Internet/email are things like spreadsheets, remote access for work & satnav. Will get our developer to modify our java app to work on it as well, which will be handy. Finally, its a tad smaller than an iPad and thus more portable.
Old 26 April 2011, 07:17 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

A tablet can be very handy, a laptop is very cumbersome in comparison. My dell XPS laptop can nearly set fire to my bed quilt it gets so hot I also have to wait for it to boot up etc etc no instant on.

I only use my iPad for browsing websites and reading emails (email is crap on apple iPad and iPhone so I dont do replies) I have bought a few apps but never use them. I will be selling it this year and getting whatever Htc tablet comes out the email and browsing looks much better
Old 27 April 2011, 08:25 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I'm not really impressed with HTC's new tablet the Flyer. It's only a 7" screen, which I suppose could be a plus to some people as it's a compact unit. It's not dual core and it's £600. Seems expensive for the specs to me. I'd have to see one to make my mind up about it. Wasn't bothered by the first iPad, but the second is much more appealing. However, at the moment I think I'd go for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer as I prefer Android to iOS and I'm learning Android development at the mo. Lighter and cheaper than a Motorola Xoom and you have the option to buy an attachable keyboard which has an extra battery inside it. No 3G option, but I can just create a WiFi hotspot with my phone and use that, although the battery would drain faster that way then if it had mobile connectivity.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Asus-E..._Laptop_review

Last edited by Saint AAI; 27 April 2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 27 April 2011, 01:35 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
I'm waiting to get one when I can (anyone coming back from the States/Canada in the next couple of weeks? ). We have BBs @work on a BES so its designed for people like me. I find my BB screen a bit on the small side, so a device like this will be very helpful extension. Plans for use othere than Internet/email are things like spreadsheets, remote access for work & satnav. Will get our developer to modify our java app to work on it as well, which will be handy. Finally, its a tad smaller than an iPad and thus more portable.
James, get a CAS
Old 27 April 2011, 01:48 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

James, checked late last night and no one is coming over any time soon

Still need to have a play with the device, might get a chance today as we finished a release last night
Old 27 April 2011, 03:46 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
I will probably go in the next few weeks as I go, well, every few weeks! If it happens I will drop you a note if you would like me to pick one up.

I have to say I didn't like the Playbook very much. The Motorola Xoom is quite good as I like Android and I have an iPad.

Steve