Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless laptop help

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2011, 07:27 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wireless laptop help

I have a desktop PC in the bedroom which is connected to the internet with Virginmedia (broadband). I have now bought a laptop with wireless and i'm having trouble connecting to the internet.
I have a wireless router which NTL sent and the laptop can see this but doesn't connect through it?
Following the on screen prompts the laptop get to the aquiring IP address stage but doesn't seem to aquire 1?
I searched last night and forums were saying to click RUN, enter something which i've forgotten but after following the procedure still nothing?
On the list of connections which the laptop found it says my router is secure - i didn't enter ant passwords when i installed it as there were no instructions i just plugged it in.
Is there something i should do with the main PC or the router so the laptop can connect?

Pleaes help before i lose my patience with this
easy jargon please as i don't know anything about settings

Cheers
Old 17 March 2011, 07:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

some wirless routers have a button on them that need pressing as you try and connect/associate with the wirless network
Old 17 March 2011, 07:46 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

No buttons on the router
Old 17 March 2011, 10:06 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so its connecting but not getting an IP ?

is it an access gateway or wireless router?
make model etc?

i assume your desktop is working fine and connected via network cable to it? or to a cable mode via USB?
Old 17 March 2011, 10:23 PM
Will
BANNED

If it's win xp. Try, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, scroll down to the bottom, now find Wireless Zero Config and check if it has started, if not, double click it to open, then click start and then close. Now give it a go.

Or

Goto Start > Run, type in services.msc and click OK. In the Services Console, scroll down to find Remote Call Procedure and if it is shown as disabled, double click the entry to display the Properties dialog, and change the Startup type: to Automatic.

Or

Open a command prompt, or at Start, Run, type cmd, when the window opens, type ipconfig /release and hit Enter. Now type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter.

Old 17 March 2011, 11:26 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by acstua
so its connecting but not getting an IP ?

is it an access gateway or wireless router?
make model etc?

i assume your desktop is working fine and connected via network cable to it? or to a cable mode via USB?
It's a Netgear wireless G router, model WGR614 v9

desktop is working perfect

it just seems to be obtaining an IP that's the problem
Old 17 March 2011, 11:43 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_impreza
If it's win xp. Try, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, scroll down to the bottom, now find Wireless Zero Config and check if it has started, if not, double click it to open, then click start and then close. Now give it a go.

Or

Goto Start > Run, type in services.msc and click OK. In the Services Console, scroll down to find Remote Call Procedure and if it is shown as disabled, double click the entry to display the Properties dialog, and change the Startup type: to Automatic.

Or

Open a command prompt, or at Start, Run, type cmd, when the window opens, type ipconfig /release and hit Enter. Now type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter.

Well tried the 1st option and it is started
2nd option - was disabled so switched to automatic
3rd option - said IP address has already been asigned?

i go to the repair wireless network connection process and it seems to stop on the renewing your ip address box -?
Old 17 March 2011, 11:51 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you running through some software that came with the router, or the wireless card if used, or are you running through windows wireless network?

Sometimes you need to turn off the router, allow time for it to initialse then try to connect. You sure there is no reset button on the router?

If your router has a WEP key code sticker (which all routers should now have) then make sure its the same code as you are typing in, and go through Windows and not the software
Old 18 March 2011, 07:05 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

The router didn't have any software with it so i just plugged it in.
I've tried connecting through the add a wireless link, add a network and also with the NTL disc but i'm struggling to get the laptop to obtain an IP
I found a reset button on the router and after pressing it i had to re-enter the user and password on the desktop PC but i don't get an option on the laptop?

Plugging the laptop into the router with a cable works perfect so it must be the wireless at fault?
Old 19 March 2011, 05:47 PM
Will
BANNED

Go to START >>RUN, Type cmd and hit enter. In cmd type ipconfig /all
At the very top of the command prompt window RIGHT Click with your mouse and select EDIT then "Select All" This highlights everything in the window.

One more time go to the top of the command prompt window, RIGHT click and select EDIT then "Copy"

Come back and PASTE the information here.

Last edited by Will; 19 March 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 19 March 2011, 07:08 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Sorted

i reset the router with the laptop plugged into it and this time (it didn't happen before?) it asked for a password for virgin media.
After entering the password it connected and does when wireless

So it was a router/ IP problem

Thanks for all your help
Old 19 March 2011, 07:11 PM
Will
BANNED

Nice one.