Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Playing and Converting FLAC files

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2011, 04:10 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Playing and Converting FLAC files

With regards to FLAC files, I'm a bit cluless on the subject, I understand the concept of it being lossless but my google search hasn't really answered my own questions.

My question is when you convert them into MP3/WMV/AAC etc do you not lose some of that quality ? by converting them. Should I/Can I convert CD's to Flac and then back to Mp3/aac for the ipod will it remain lossless, I cant see how it can and that idea seems like a long winded option.

The reason I came around to this question is because I was plugged my ipod into my hifi via the Aux terminal and a CD i'd copied onto the pod sounded as weak as p1ss but when I played the CD through the SACD player it was on a totally different level. Now I would imagine that is because the SACD player is a far superior piece of equipment to the i-pod.

Lastly what is a recomended FLAC converter as I have some files of some gigs in FLAC format that I'd like to convert, there seem to be hundreds on the net.

Cheers

FM
Old 09 March 2011, 04:58 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
With regards to FLAC files, I'm a bit cluless on the subject, I understand the concept of it being lossless but my google search hasn't really answered my own questions.

My question is when you convert them into MP3/WMV/AAC etc do you not lose some of that quality ? by converting them. Should I/Can I convert CD's to Flac and then back to Mp3/aac for the ipod will it remain lossless, I cant see how it can and that idea seems like a long winded option.
Yes you will lose quality by transcoding from FLAC to MP3 or any other lossy compression format. The idea is (now you can buy 2TB hard drives for £60) that you rip your entire CD collection to FLAC (or other lossless format) for storage on you home server. So you have all your CDs backed up so you can put the masters somewhere safe. Now you can play back your library through your Hi-Fi either using a PC (home cinema PC?) or some sort of streaming media device (Sonus etc.). The interconnect to the hi-fi should be digital so that the conversion is done by your expensive stuff and the FLAC file sounds (in theory) as good as the original recording. You can also buy a good quality external DAC to do this so it's PC-digital i/c-> DAC -Analogue I/C-> Hi-Fi

The reason I came around to this question is because I was plugged my ipod into my hifi via the Aux terminal and a CD i'd copied onto the pod sounded as weak as p1ss but when I played the CD through the SACD player it was on a totally different level. Now I would imagine that is because the SACD player is a far superior piece of equipment to the i-pod.
And also because the recording on the iPod is in a lossy format (unless Apple Lossless?). Also the output from the iPod (assuming you were using the headphone output) is in a analogue form and whilst Apples digital to analogue conversion is good it's probably no where near your CD player for quality and the output is designed to drive headphones. Better to use a dock. There are also now some digital iPod docks available so the Hi-Fi does the conversion not the iPod

Lastly what is a recomended FLAC converter as I have some files of some gigs in FLAC format that I'd like to convert, there seem to be hundreds on the net.

Cheers

FM
As far as I know the FLAC codec will plug into a lot of the regular CD rippers. dbPowerAMP is considered to be one of the better conversion tools due to it's perfect rip technology.
Old 09 March 2011, 05:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

If you are using a Mac, then have a look at Max. It is what I use if I want to transcode from FLAC to mp3
Old 09 March 2011, 05:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The reason I came around to this question is because I was plugged my ipod into my hifi via the Aux terminal
I did that once for a laugh. It wasn't funny though as it really was spectacularly bad. A mushy compressed lifeless sound. Best used for what they were designed for and nothing else really. Even the dock systems sound bad.
Old 09 March 2011, 06:14 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I did that once for a laugh. It wasn't funny though as it really was spectacularly bad. A mushy compressed lifeless sound.
Yes it was through the headphone socket and yeah that just about sums it up

I have one of these in the kitchen
http://www.johnlewis.com/231056580/P...cid=paidsearch
Although not at JL prices!! it does the job fairly well, even better when I hooked up a decent set of speakers to it, why do these companies insist on bargain bin speakers.

Thanks for the FLAC info guys answered many silly questions running about my head

Last edited by Funkii Munkii; 09 March 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09 March 2011, 06:24 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I tunes will let you rip your cd's in a lossless format. I think they can be transferred to the iPod as that too.
Old 09 March 2011, 10:33 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Linn Records have a site with FLAC downloads available... the few I have sampled are really getting close to a vinyl type experience. IMHO.

dunx

P.S. Without the dust...
Old 10 March 2011, 10:45 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by dunx
Linn Records have a site with FLAC downloads available... the few I have sampled are really getting close to a vinyl type experience. IMHO.

dunx

P.S. Without the dust...
You'd have to expect that of Linn, shocked to read it's getting close to vinyl, I'm sure there would be a few people shouting, sacrilege burn him
Old 10 March 2011, 10:49 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

If I use the headphone socket or Bluetooth connection on my car stereo it's nowhere near as good as the dock connector. Another good reason to avoid anything other than Apple products.
Old 10 March 2011, 10:56 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx

dunx

P.S. Without the dust...
LOL, it's only taken them 25 years I have one of their fine turntables and am still yet to hear anything from a digital source that rivals it, maybe one of their FLACs and a decent source might finally do it for me.

As for iPods and their ilk, they are not really worth discussng in the same post as proper formats, the signal is so compressed and manipulated that it is an irrelevance in a discussion about quality.
Old 10 March 2011, 11:05 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The thread's about iPods so we really should stay on topic. As Antc said, Apple lossless is about as good as it gets.
Old 10 March 2011, 11:15 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
The thread's about iPods so we really should stay on topic. As Antc said, Apple lossless is about as good as it gets.
Er the thread is about FLAC files not iPods.

Oh and how the f**k would Ant know whether Apple lossless is any good or not as he is now stremaing his music to his iPhone LOL!
Old 10 March 2011, 11:24 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

You're right I dont ,I encode my cd's at 320kb/s

Last edited by Ant; 10 March 2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10 March 2011, 11:26 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Oh and how the f**k would Ant know whether Apple lossless is any good or not as he is now stremaing his music to his iPhone LOL!

Why use a propriety format like Apple Lossless when FLAC is open source and in most of the testing I've seen faster to encode and compresses more?
Old 10 March 2011, 11:48 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The thread is about FLAC files being converted for use on an iPod. The answer is Apple Lossless whether you like it or not.
Old 10 March 2011, 12:11 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Another good reason to avoid anything other than Apple products.

10,000 posts about Apple. 8 about Subaru.
Old 10 March 2011, 12:24 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The thread is about FLAC files being converted for use on an iPod. The answer is Apple Lossless whether you like it or not.
Well an iPod was mentioned as one of the options so given your probelsm with seeing past the Apple brand it's no wonder you have fixated on that LOL!
Old 10 March 2011, 12:27 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Well an iPod was mentioned as one of the options so given your probelsm with seeing past the Apple brand it's no wonder you have fixated on that LOL!
Read it again, it's all about the iPod.
Old 10 March 2011, 12:28 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat

10,000 posts about Apple. 8 about Subaru.
And those 8 were about how to install an iPod in a Subaru
Old 10 March 2011, 03:11 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Nutter
Old 10 March 2011, 03:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Nutter
WTF! You mention iPod more than FLAC in your post. Perhaps I have gone mental, too much time on here with morons.
Old 10 March 2011, 03:31 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Wrong, your counting is as bad as attitude.
Old 10 March 2011, 04:02 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

It was a lighthearted term of endearment Jack, you are an Apple nutter .

I also mentioned CD's and SACD, but I think the title states what it's all about.

What happened to the Jack that used to help me out when I had dodgy McAfee installs all those years ago, there was none of this Apple aggression in those days, amusing as it can be it's consumed you.

While I'm here get those clowns at Apple to sort out the itunes player, it's still a mess in relation to the track listing, it still blurs when you scroll or only the bottom few tracks scroll everything else remain static and out of sync, they managed to sort it with 9.0 but about 2 updates later it was back and has remained ever since.
Old 10 March 2011, 04:06 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I just praise Apple when they do good. That winds people up who then call me a nutter as their intellect offers no other retort. Some of that **** sticks. Water off the back to me.
Old 10 March 2011, 04:11 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

No it clearly f**king isn't, now be told you tedious bore!
Old 10 March 2011, 04:26 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

I just praise Apple when they do good. That winds people up who then call me a nutter as their intellect offers no other retort. Some of that **** sticks. Water off the back to me.
Like I said it was a term of endearment/banter said in a nice way with a laughing smiley, but you dont get the tone on a post I guess.

I have no reason to have a pop at you as you have helped me out in the past on a couple of occasions.

As I said, what happened to Jack Clark, used to be such an affable chap.

I clearly dont have the intellect to understand.
Old 10 March 2011, 04:54 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Nothing against you FM, just explaining the reaction of ***** like F1.
Old 10 March 2011, 05:26 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Nothing against you FM, just explaining the reaction of ***** like F1.
Yeah, but explaining it wrongly of course. And what was that you implied about low intellect and insults... hoisted by your own petard methinks

The fact remains this thread was a more general discussion about FLAC, you as usual tried to turn it into an Apple w4nkfest. Why can't you just leave it alone for once? We know you love Apple and would probably sleep with Steve Jobs if you could, but you are so baised that your opinions are utterly worthless.
Old 10 March 2011, 05:33 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You see, I mention Apple and this stalking fuctard appears.
Old 10 March 2011, 06:01 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

You see, I mention Apple and this stalking fuctard appears.
You are becoming quite amusing now (a first time for everything) in a sort of 'laugh at you' kind of way.

Look, Scoobynet rules say that I am not really allowed to call you a boring ****, but they can't stop me thinking it so ... I think you're a boring **** !!! :

Quick Reply: Playing and Converting FLAC files