Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Scart to Firewire

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2002, 10:47 AM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looking for a scart to firewire 1394 6 pin.

Scoty
Old 12 April 2002, 11:57 AM
Sieze
Scooby Regular

SCART ?? are you sure that is what you want? or SCSI? Either way cant help you.
Old 12 April 2002, 01:11 PM
NumptyScrub
Scooby Regular

So, you have come up with some way of sending analogue video and 2-channel audio signals from a 6 pin firewire card?

I have a sneaking suspicion that scart may not be the connection you want. Or perhaps firewire is not the connection you want.

If you want to connect a DV camera to your tv, you don't want to be using the firewire connection, that is for connecting to your computer (digital bus traffic similar to USB) I think you may be wanting another of the connectors on the camera.

Derek
Old 12 April 2002, 01:16 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks,

I want to connect my Sony DVD player to my PC so that I can play dvd onto my PC monitor. I have got Firewire and USB ports spare. Can this be done?

Scoty
Old 12 April 2002, 01:32 PM
NumptyScrub
Scooby Regular

Any reason you aren't just plugging this into a TV? If you have a TV and a DVD deck this is by far the simplest solution to watch DVD's.

As for plugging a DVD deck into a PC, that's an intruiging idea... it would be much easier to buy a DVD-ROM drive for the PC. I used WinDVD to watch DVD titles on my PC (up until I got a dedicated DVD player anyway ).

Another option is to get a "TV" (RF, scart, AV etc.) to SVGA converter, and use the monitor on its own as a TV device, ie. plug the DVD deck straight into the monitor. Another method of doing this would be to buy a TV card (Hauppage WinTV or similar) and plug the DVD into that. Quality would be inferior to running it from a DVD-ROM drive but it would also give you access to standard TV channels as well (assuming you have an arial).

If your DVD player has a firewire port, you could connect it via firewire to the PC, and in theory could use it as an external DVD-ROM device, but you'd need to read the manual to see what the steps are if this is the case. Can't say I've ever heard of this option on a standalone DVD player before though (although it is certainly possible).

Any of this help?

Derek

Old 12 April 2002, 01:39 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

it cant be done that way sorry you would have to use a video capture card if you wanted to do it but the picture wouldnt be as good as a tv anyway.