Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help -wifi playing up ??

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2011, 09:02 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help -wifi playing up ??

Help - okay just to let you understand the set up here I have an acer revo 3700 in the livingroom, main pc in spare room and son has his laptop in his bedroom, the router is situated in the livingroom and feeding all computers via wireless connection ( bt bb ) the acer revo / son`s laptop have there own built in wireless receive but the main pc has a Belkin usb wireless plug in adapter.

when I first fitted this belkin a good while ago I noticed that although it did receive the wifi from the down stairs modem the signal was reported to be low but as I say no problems with connecting / staying conected. did also notice that where as all the other computers showed plenty off wifi signals locally during routine scans this belkin only picked up one - luckly the wanted one !!

just noticed that over the last few days that another connection is now showing- says unsecured network with a username, obviously a very close neighbour !! problem is it must be affecting my own wifi signal as the majority off time it can no longer be found on a wireless scan just this new unsecured signal, occasionally I will get it showing up but as I say most off the time just this new signal, the other pc`s are still receiving / connecting to the wanted signal without fail.

help - whats going on here then ?? why come the wanted signal is no longer being reliably receved on this pc but 100% on the others ??

anything I could try to remidy things ??
Old 25 January 2011, 09:06 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Best options are check all software and drivers are up to date. Change your network name and make sure you change the channel your wifi is broadcast on. You need to make sure it is a stable signal on a channel 1 - 11. Hope that helps.
Old 25 January 2011, 09:54 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks for that, as far as I can see its telling me it cannot find any better software when I try to update the drivers, it would appear as if its only checking for any driver disc on the pc although I am selecting to let it connect to the net to try and locate any updated drivers. network name change- sorry any advice on how to change and why ?? am I changing the channel on the bt bb modem or the belkin ?? not to sure how I do that either ??!!

you reckon it could well be the stronger signal blocking out the wanted signal enough to not even show it on a wifi scan ??
Old 25 January 2011, 10:01 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

as stated change your wifi channel -- it is probably set to 5 or 6
Old 25 January 2011, 10:10 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Network name change is just good practise but instead of a scan you can specify a name
Of a network to join. To change both the name and channel ID you need to log into your belkin wireless hub. (iirc belkin use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 for combined so possibly ending .2 if it's wireless only and nit a router aswell. I google of your model should reveal the defaults)

Changing the wireless Chanel is effective because of interference. Dropped packs, poor connection, think of it at 2 radio station on the same frequency. Just get a horrid mess.
Old 26 January 2011, 06:22 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by birchy2010
Network name change is just good practise but instead of a scan you can specify a name
Of a network to join. To change both the name and channel ID you need to log into your belkin wireless hub. (iirc belkin use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 for combined so possibly ending .2 if it's wireless only and nit a router aswell. I google of your model should reveal the defaults)

Changing the wireless Chanel is effective because of interference. Dropped packs, poor connection, think of it at 2 radio station on the same frequency. Just get a horrid mess.

Okay thats great thank you once again for the explanation- so just to confirm its just the Belkin wireless usb dongle that is plugged into this main pc that I am changing ch / network name on and the bt wireless router that feeds all three computers stays the same as it is set for just now ??
Old 26 January 2011, 08:53 AM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Sorry I was half asleep last night whn I wrote that. You need to do those changes on the BT router and you can manually set the name it looks for on the belkin to see if that clears bad/lack of connection. Depending on the age of your BT kit they like to use 192.168.1.254 iirc as there address.
Old 26 January 2011, 10:28 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Hi, sorry for the slight delay in getting back to you but just to say thanks so much again for your helpful advice, changed the channel settings from " automatic " to ch 6 and have not had one problem since doing so, strangely enough as soon as I changed channel on the router I thought the pages were loading noticably faster checked my speed and for some unknown reason it has gone from 36Mbps to a constant 54Mbps. so excellent all round !!

any ideas why the change off channel should effect the speed off the network ??
Old 26 January 2011, 10:31 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

It would have been the interference from either other wireless points or interference locally. Glad it sorted it for you. It should always show at least 54mbps or it's a sign of a problem with the wireless. If you upgrade to n tech this can go up to 128 if all devices are compatible
Old 27 January 2011, 09:00 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks again, sorry for my ignorance once again !! but what is this n tech you refer to ?? like the sound off 128Mbps !!!