Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

One for the Mac team :-)

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2011, 07:06 PM
ScoobaSteve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One for the Mac team :-)

Have just purchased a shiney new Macbook Pro,and am installing stuff via Time Machine External Drive,but how do i remove all the stuff off the hard drive from my other laptop without the fear of personal data being still on there..is it easier than a PC lol

Any help appreciated..Thanks
Old 08 January 2011, 07:09 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

use your recovery disc to do a fresh install
Old 08 January 2011, 08:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Boot the old machine from the install disk that came with it, or if you have a retail OS X disk boot from that.

When you see the main installer screen, look at the menu bar, there should be a "Commands" or "Administration" option (you might need to click through a few installer screens, basically get to the point where you select the disk you're going to install on). Under there should be "Disk Utility" Launch this, find your hard drive from the list of drives and use the "erase" option. This will then remove everything from the HD.

You also have options there about security erases, which the normal installer would not do.

Depending on what you want to do with the machine, you could quit disk utility and proceed with the install to put a clean OS on the machine.

You could also select the "Erase and Install" option from the installer as well. I use DU as it allows me to re-partition things and secure erase should I want to do that too.