Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Fecking itunes

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2011, 12:42 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fecking itunes

I went to put some music on a cd for the car and I can't copy any albums over as itunes has rearranged all my albums on my hard drive folder into artists alphabetically so I have no idea which songs belong to which album and since I have 80gig of music in this folder its pi55ing me off a little. How do i get it so I just see the albums on my hard drive and not just an artist ???
Old 02 January 2011, 01:07 PM
green fast machine
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

think marcus is the guy to ask steve
Old 02 January 2011, 02:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
I went to put some music on a cd for the car and I can't copy any albums over as itunes has rearranged all my albums on my hard drive folder into artists alphabetically so I have no idea which songs belong to which album and since I have 80gig of music in this folder its pi55ing me off a little. How do i get it so I just see the albums on my hard drive and not just an artist ???
You'll find a folder called Compilations that might help you. It should contain any albums where the artist isn't the same for all tracks.

Why bother though, you just select the tracks/album you want, create a playlist then click the burn button.
Old 02 January 2011, 03:32 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Why bother though, you just select the tracks/album you want, create a playlist then click the burn button.
Because I have far too many albums to put on my ipod so I just copy them across as I want and I also put them on my phone and my families phones as well so say a compilation album is probably split into 30 different folder now and I have no way of finding where all them are unless I search through hundreds of folders. If I was only thinking of using my ipod all the time it may not be such a problem but I'm not.
Old 02 January 2011, 03:55 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

If the Album is "Now that's what I call music" which features loads of artists, it will be in a folder named "Now that's what I call music" that's in the "Compilations" folder. If it's not a compilation then look for the artist name "Abba" then in that folder are all of your "Abba" albums.

Lets say you wanted to burn that Album to CD, no need to go find the folder, just select it in iTunes, create a playlist then click burn.

It seems your making a simple task more difficult than it needs to be.
Old 02 January 2011, 05:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds as though you are looking in the Finder / Windows Explorer for the files themselves to copy over. Is that correct?

What you might want to do is go into iTunes' Prefs, specifically the Advanced option and enable the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" option. What this does, or appears to do on my machine is to create a structure such as:

Code:
Music folder
  Artist's name folder
    Album name folder
      Name of Track 1
      Name of track 20

If it's compilation album, then it will be something like:

Music folder
  Compilations
    Album name folder
      Name of Track 1
      Name of track 20

At that point you should be able to locate the album you want. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 02 January 2011, 06:44 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

If the Album is "Now that's what I call music" which features loads of artists, it will be in a folder named "Now that's what I call music" .

Nope! What has happened is my folder on my hard drive which has all my albums in does't have a list of albums its now all artists names, I don't even have any way of finding out which albums I do have as they are all gone and only artists names remain. Whats bugging me even more if say I was to get two new compilation albums I would not even be able to find them on my hard drive as they would be split up into artists!
Old 02 January 2011, 06:50 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Marcus , last time I was in itunes I checked this as I thought it would help when looking thru my ipod as even on that it splits an album into loads of albums for no reason?? I have had no reason to check the folder my mp3's are kept in until today when I wanted to create a cd. I have now unchecked that option in itunes but my hdd folder is still named by artist? If it was only in itunes I would not care but it has modified my computer hdd
Old 02 January 2011, 07:26 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Everyone's iTunes music folder is sorted by Artist, you click the Artist and the Albums by that 'Artist' are there. Couldn't be simpler or better. The only exception are Compilations which are in the Compilations folder, then listed by Album Name.

The only way things could get seriously messed up would be if your music collection consists of badly named tracks from dodgy sources.

And as I said before, why worry, just select the tracks/album in iTunes and burn a CD from there, job done.

Or is this a wind up??
Old 02 January 2011, 08:44 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Its not a wind up, all my album folder have been deleted and rearanged to just artists. Mine is a windows pc and I don't use itunes to listen to music on my pc so now I don't know where an album is?
Old 02 January 2011, 08:54 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

OK, if you double click the Artist, what do you see?
Old 02 January 2011, 09:37 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

if I click on the artist it takes me to folders of the albums where the artist is in. So if I have 5 albums where an artist is on there will be a folder for each album an artist is in and the name of the album. Obviously itunes has done this and all I want is to go to my hdd and see my albums again as most of my collection are compilations I have no idea who half the artists are as most of my albums are the likes of Clubland and similar. I only really know songs I like by picking the right album.
Old 02 January 2011, 09:52 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Sounds normal. All compilations should be in the 'Compilations' folder. Click on 'Compilations' then look for the 'Clubland' folder. Or if you're really lost you could go to iTunes and right click on the Album, I'm pretty sure an option is to view in Explorer which will take you straight to the folder.
Old 02 January 2011, 10:33 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Jack, I don't mind it doing it in itunes but it has modified all my folders on my hard drive even when I look at them in windows explorer. I now don't have a clue what albums I have I do not even slightly want to try and use itunes to find where I have an album I want it so I can look through windows and see the way it was just over one month ago.

Last edited by stevebt; 02 January 2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02 January 2011, 10:46 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

So you have a simple and efficient filing system and you now don't want it, bit odd but each to their own.

Open two explorer windows, click on the Artists folder then drag the albums to the other window, job done.

iTunes won't work at this point, you'll have to delete everything then import it again.
Old 02 January 2011, 10:55 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Thats going to take hours to do I was hoping there was an easy fix I will stop itunes looking in the folder once I have done it to stop it happening again
Old 02 January 2011, 11:15 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevebt
Thats going to take hours to do I was hoping there was an easy fix I will stop itunes looking in the folder once I have done it to stop it happening again
You'd be better off using iTunes or another music management application. Trying to DIY is a waste of time, let the computer do the work.