Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 or XBOX 360

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2010, 11:07 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS3 or XBOX 360

Our Wii has broken, and I don't want to replace it for another....all games are for sale on ebay.

Free plug over....what should we replace it with? Needs to have family friendly games rather than 18 certificates games.

Although I will be buying racing games and COD.
Old 23 November 2010, 11:16 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

with GT5 actually coming out, why on earth are you confused

ps3 has 3D blu ray as well as games
Old 23 November 2010, 11:28 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

If you like playing online, what do most of your mates play on?

If you don't play online or will but don't have any mates then it doesn't really matter.

I have both, never touch the 360 as I refuse to pay to play online when the PS3 offers it for nothing (and the service doesn't seem any worse either).

That said, if you liked the Wii, the Kinect for 360 could well appeal. My son has asked for it for his birthday (the 360 is actually his) so I'm sure that will provide some family amusement.

Playstation Move is more like the Wii controller, but much more accurate.

Also to consider, the 360 scratches disks like a dog has eaten them, my PS3 disks look as good as the day I got them.

One last thing, PS3 is (IMO) more asthetically pleasing and doesn't sound like you have a hovercraft in the room!

Geezer
Old 23 November 2010, 11:56 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I already have a blu ray so that doesn't really influence things....

..I must admit that PS3 is leading the way so far
Old 23 November 2010, 01:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got both, PS3 gathers dust until tomorrow....
Old 23 November 2010, 01:10 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I've had both and I still have the xbox .ps move is a failure compared to the sales of Kinect. The xbox has outsold the ps3 for the last 5 months.

A friend of mine moved from ps3 to xbox and he says the online is better. Get what you pay for I suppose. I've had 3 xbox's and it's never scratched a disc yet

Just giving you the story from the other side of the coin.

Ps if you're a real man the controller for the xbox will be to your liking.
Old 23 November 2010, 01:11 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

I have both and I prefer the selection of games on the 360 to PS3.
Old 23 November 2010, 03:28 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I have both and hardly ever use the PS3. 360 (in my opinion) has a far better controller, and a better selection of "exclusive" games. In day to day use, the machines are pretty identical. PS3 has a blu-ray player, but it's noticably lower quality than my standalone unit, so I never use it for that purpose.
Old 23 November 2010, 03:33 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
...PS3 has a blu-ray player, but it's noticably lower quality than my standalone unit...
I'd quite like to know what BR player you have, as I am inclined to say, "rubbish!".
Old 23 November 2010, 03:49 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

I always compared the XBOX to a PC and the PS3 to an actual games console.

My 360 broke(then taded in towards PS3) and the PS3 is now around 4/5 years old and still going strong....touch wood!!
Old 23 November 2010, 04:11 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by antc
I've had both and I still have the xbox .ps move is a failure compared to the sales of Kinect. The xbox has outsold the ps3 for the last 5 months.

A friend of mine moved from ps3 to xbox and he says the online is better. Get what you pay for I suppose. I've had 3 xbox's and it's never scratched a disc yet

Just giving you the story from the other side of the coin.

Ps if you're a real man the controller for the xbox will be to your liking.
A quick search shows that some people are saying Kinect is outselling move, others show figures that Move is clearly outselling Kinect, so to say Move is a failure is just plain rubbish I'm afraid.

As for scratched disks, not only does ours do it, but in our local Game, they even commented on how most 360 games that get traded in are scratched compared to the PS3 ones.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out between Kinect and Move though. Shooting games are going to be a real problem for Kinect, and the Microsoft guy at the Kinect demo I went to agreed. But, being totally controller-less will have an undoubted appeal to lots of people, plus the non-gaming aspects of Kinect (if it works as well as the advertising) are really cool.

Best advice was from Bravo, see if you can try them both out and see which one you prefer. Either one will be fine.

Geezer
Old 23 November 2010, 04:13 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

I have both, the PS3 hasnt been switched on for atleast 8 months..havent even unpacked it since we moved. The 360 gets my vote, far superior if your into online gaming even with the 30quid or so it costs for xbox live.

My nephew has just sold his PS3 slim, he has only had for a few months, replaced it with a 360 with and Kinect.
Old 23 November 2010, 04:28 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 2 PS3's, despite not being a massive gamer. They are very good as media centre's, but I hear the 360 is too, only without the Bluray.
TBH, I don't think, or haven't seen loads of family friendly games on the PS3. Although that maybe changing with the Move.

If its family friendly games you want, you should get another Wii. What happened to it by the way?
Old 23 November 2010, 04:33 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Having owned both I would say the 360 just for the fact that the online experience seems a little bit smoother, saying that you pay £35 a year for playing online.
If you are only going to play online occasionally and play mainly offline I would go for the ps3.
Old 23 November 2010, 04:45 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Remember the technology with the Kinect is brilliant face/voice reconigtion , no remotes what so ever. Where the ps move fails you have to buy more controllers for more players.

I can't wait to see how far they can take it.

For the little one it's a no brainer
Old 23 November 2010, 04:46 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
I'd quite like to know what BR player you have, as I am inclined to say, "rubbish!".
Can't remember the model number off the top of my head (I'm at work), but it's one of the more expensive Sony models, bought about a year ago. Blows the PS3 picture quality out of the water when connected to the same tv and using the same disc. Colour reproduction is much better for a start. The laser etc in the PS3 is quite a cheap one. It works ok, but there are better....
Old 23 November 2010, 07:19 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Remember the technology with the Kinect is brilliant face/voice reconigtion , no remotes what so ever. Where the ps move fails you have to buy more controllers for more players.

I can't wait to see how far they can take it.

For the little one it's a no brainer
One problem to me with Kinect is it's so blooming expensive. £130!! The move starter pack is only £40 with extra controllers about £25.
Plus playing racing games with Kinect looks just plain stupid.
Old 24 November 2010, 08:12 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I have both and I prefer the PS3, some of the downsides with the 360 have been sorted with the new one as far as I'm aware. Things like the noise, HDMI, WiFi and larger hard drive. My first ever Xbox did chew up a game, but none I have had since then has done this. I'm on my 4th xbox as they keep getting RROD, I think this has been sorted on the new one too. I use my PS3 as an all round media centre, the comment about the cheaper laser may be true, but it does not effect the quality of the image. All the laser is doing is reading the data from the disc. It either does this or it doesn't, the graphics engine will be what determines the picture quality bewtween two devices in my opinion.
I think Move will have a slight advantage over Kinect has you still have a controller with buttons on which means you can have more complicated games. The Kinect is a great idea, but the games will be simple and apparently suffer from lag between your movements and the games actions. Developers need to create new types of games to take advantage of Kinect. Move is already a proven concept with the Wii, it just makes it loads better.
Online, I would say Xbox Live is a better experience than PSN, but PSN is getting there slowly. The main thing I think limits the Xbox is the DVD drive. So far they have done a great job of squeezing games onto DVD's, but as games get bigger and more detailed, they will struggle with space. Xbox does have a better range of exclusive games at the moment too with the likes of Halo. Hopefully GT5 will level things off a little (not played it yet), but Xbox has Forza, which I found to be better than the Gran Turismos so far.
Xbox is cheaper, but Sony has the better hardware, and I think that developers are only just starting to show what the PS3 can do.
Old 24 November 2010, 08:26 AM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

I've also got both.....Xbox wins.....
Old 24 November 2010, 08:56 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have both so heres my 2 pennath

Xbox 360 Old model
Too Noisy poor cooling and prone to red ring of death
Xbox 360 new
Much better attempt quiet as a moust Kinect ready and if you have kids there m8s will no doubt have this , more accepted in younger house holds,

Downside you pay for Live technology inside it is dated it has a failed HD dvd player but as a games machine it cool

Ps3
More adult orientated much more technologically advanced Blu Ray better video streaming abilities, more downloadable content, caters for PSP also.

Downside not many really its my prferred platform

If a game comes out for Xbox or Ps3 i get Ps3 ive found sometimes when ive had both copies Xbox struggles on some high visual stuff where as the Ps3 eats it.

But basics are look at what ya m8s have and what the kids m8s have and buy that 1, much more fun online.

as for the Move stuff utter ****e same as all that kind of stuff, Kinect is cool for Music n Video but the games have about the same longevitiy as Move games, and as some of you may agree there like the WII, u play em for about 2 or 3 hours then pack it all up and never use it again.

My WII has been used approx 6 hrs tops since ive had it, just doesnt cut it in my book

Pref order

Ps3
Xbox 360
Wii
Old 24 November 2010, 09:32 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

If a game comes out for Xbox or Ps3 i get Ps3 ive found sometimes when ive had both copies Xbox struggles on some high visual stuff where as the Ps3 eats it.
Which games may I ask? As I've always known graphic
Have always favoured the xbox as it's a more preferred platform for developing
Old 24 November 2010, 09:37 AM
dexster81
Scooby Regular

I have both haven't played PS3 for 6 months Xbox far better games until GT5 but from what I'm hearing its not going to stand up to Forza
Old 24 November 2010, 09:55 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

get a deal on both - somewhere should knock some money off for buying both
ps3 is great for blu ray & xbox 360 is now looking good with the new Kinect thing with no controllers where as the ps3 move is just a very good wii remote

but i am a ps3 lover thats why that is hooked up & not the 360
also eagerly waiting for my GT5 to be delivered
Old 24 November 2010, 10:07 AM
Scooby_CL
Scooby Regular

Davy boy i think you might have created one of the most controversial threads computer/gaming related haha!

the epic story of which is better... there both very good, so its more a case of you need to weigh up what you want from the console

PS3-
Good graphics, smooth quick game play with free online/ PSN
Blu Ray integration
more adult orientated games
BAD home interface, i cant stand it
not as many main hit games as 360
does look quite nice though as a console unit.

Xbox 360 (the new black one)
Small, looks allot better then the original!
You pay for online play (Live) but you get allot more features and imo its better.
doesn't support blu ray but does play normal DVD
Kinect
home interface is so much simpler and user friendly

I'm an Xbox fan and will never change to PS3, i would say the xbox is the better all rounder but the PS3 does have some very strong features on its side.
Old 24 November 2010, 10:14 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

scooby cl - what do you mean by home interface?
I have my ps3 hooked up on my wired/wireless home network & it works a treat. I have it reading my home pc, so pics, music & video all can go through it. But also have HDMI on the pc, so that also goes into my amp so i have my home pc all on my plasma.

edit to say my ps3 can even read my laptop music etc if that is on over the wireless network

Last edited by timmyajmy93wrx; 24 November 2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 24 November 2010, 10:18 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Which games may I ask? As I've always known graphic
Have always favoured the xbox as it's a more preferred platform for developing

FFX
Just Cause 2

your correct easier platform to develop for, and normally nowt in it, but when they get lazy and the game relies on the hardware as above then u can se stutters on Grand screenshots where u can see for miles, plus draw distances are less on Xbox.

Dont get me wrong though mega system love mine to bits. and its generally the favoured one as its chepaer easier to use, and all the kids have em.

ps3 is more hardcore
Old 24 November 2010, 10:26 AM
Scooby_CL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmyajmy93wrx
scooby cl - what do you mean by home interface?
I have my ps3 hooked up on my wired/wireless home network & it works a treat. I have it reading my home pc, so pics, music & video all can go through it. But also have HDMI on the pc, so that also goes into my amp so i have my home pc all on my plasma.

edit to say my ps3 can even read my laptop music etc if that is on over the wireless network

just the home screen and layout is far to complicated... there's no need for the million side scrolls and then up and down different selections. isnt as smooth as the xbox interface and layout

Xbox has Windows media centre so i guess the same kinda thing as you have above so my pc is synced with my xbox to run through my tele but tbh i dont use it that much lol
Old 24 November 2010, 10:56 AM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Isn't the 360 known for scatching discs when its sitting vertically?
I always have mine sitting flat and never scratched one disc.
My friend had his vertically and it was always having problems running discs and cut scenes not playing properly.
When he put it flat the problems went away.
Old 24 November 2010, 11:03 AM
Scooby_CL
Scooby Regular

my mate scratched a disk with it upright... but i have only ever run my xbox's upright and havent had any problems.

people put the first xbox upright as laid flat that's when the main cooling issue came to light with the motherboard over heating and bending, pulling the x clamps and causing the red ring.

the new xbox doesn't have that issue so i guess up or down what ever you have room for is the best bet.

Quick Reply: PS3 or XBOX 360