Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPad > amazon Books question

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2010, 05:39 PM
nks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPad > amazon Books question

Hi all,

Purchased an Apple iPad on Monday and read somewhere that any hardback books purchases I have made through Amazon, I can get them for free as an electronic version.

I can't seem to find out how to do this though, can someone shed some light on this please?
Old 10 November 2010, 09:22 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Hmm not heard of that before. If you download the Amazon Kindle app and log in with your Amazon account does anything happen?
Old 10 November 2010, 09:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Interesting. I've not heard this at all, and I would have expected to hear this given I'm in the ebook arena (I work for Kobo. If you have a link to this could you post it.

I know they did have a service on some books where you could read purchased books online (see this) but there appears to be no mention of being able to download the file to iPad.

In regards to reading digital books on the iPad, if they are from amazon then there are usually in .mobi format (well, a slightly modified version of .mobi) and from what I know, they can only be read in Amazon's Kindle application. Therefore you'd need to download the Kindle app, which is free, and then import the books. I'd guess the app probably allows you to import them, or sync with iTunes. Note that iBooks will NOT read the amazon files.
Old 11 November 2010, 10:36 AM
nks
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies chaps!

Having read on the website I think I have made an error and this is not possible...

I was referring to this link : http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...ad-apps-681998

Thanks once again!
Old 11 November 2010, 12:08 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'd be very interested to know if you can indeed sign in to the Kindle app, and, for free, download an electronic version of a real book you had previously purchased. I've tried the same thing, but it seems you can only do this if you have a US account. Alas my US account does not have any book purchases on it, but my Canadian and UK ones do

Last edited by Markus; 11 November 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11 November 2010, 04:33 PM
nks
Scooby Regular

I've loaded the Kindle app on my iPhone now, but can't see any of my previous hard back purchases...
Old 11 November 2010, 07:40 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

If you click on the shop in Kindle store button in the app it takes you to the Amazon web page to sign in. I don't think you get free e-book versions of books you have previously purchased though.
Old 11 November 2010, 10:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisowe
If you click on the shop in Kindle store button in the app it takes you to the Amazon web page to sign in. I don't think you get free e-book versions of books you have previously purchased though.
That is the part I am interested in and I would very much doubt amazon would offer this, mainly as the publishers would need to let them offer a free digital copy and I cannot see that as they would want something for it
Old 12 November 2010, 03:53 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Got my missus to try it on here iPad with her UK Amazon account and not offered electronic versions of hardbacks she has purchased recently. Just checked and there are Kindle versions of some of the books she bought hardback versions of. Would be nice of course.

Markus, didn't know you worked for Kobo, nice one. I'm using the (Android) Kobo reader on my recently purchased Galaxy Tab, works really nice. Still a toss up between that and the Kindle reader app though, I'll have to decide soon...

Cheers

Ian