Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

FIA GT shows the future of online racers?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2002, 12:36 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIA GT SHOWS THE FUTURE OF ONLINE RACERS

This has to be one of the bravest game concepts shown for many a moon: want to race against actual racing drivers in real-time? Step right in...

16:51 Kalisto is emerging as something of a stalking horse. The company today showed its new monster car racing game, FIA GT, for the first time, detailing a concept that leaves us gasping for air.
Its like this. As real GT races go on around the world, data from cars is transmitted to servers standing at the track. This information is then sent to a satellite, of all things, for relay across the globe. Then, and this is the best bit, you actually get to participate in the game in real-time against real drivers. Cool.

Whether or not this is a practical, working system is yet to be seen. It all sounds a tad expensive to us: take a look at the video below to get a good idea of what's going on.

PC will be the lead format for the game, although, as you'll see from the footage, anything with online capability could be an eventual target for the title. From the look of the movie the system is already up and running, in prototype at least, and the release is set for the second quarter next year.

-courtesy of PC Zone
Old 05 April 2002, 12:58 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Wow, incredible.
Old 05 April 2002, 01:01 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

why is there a prodrive logo on the back of that ferrari ?
Old 05 April 2002, 02:46 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'll see if I can find anything out, I live next to the parents of one of the more successful FIA GT drivers...

Simon.
Old 05 April 2002, 02:55 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Here's a pic of the real Prodrive Ferrari I took at Autosport 2002, I believe they bought this as an ex road car out of the Sunday Times ads, and did it up:

Simon.
Old 05 April 2002, 03:23 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

It could only work if the "real" cars are in "ghost" mode. It limits the fun 'cos you cant punt them off, but the ability to follow real racing drivers and watch their lines etc would pretty kewl.

Deano
Old 04 May 2002, 02:05 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Because Prodrive built the FIA GT 550 Maranellos (without factory support, I might add).

I can't see how this game would be workable. IIRC there was a GP game a few years back (might have been Monaco GP or soemthing) where you could race against what was effectively a playback of the real drivers in the real races. But your actions critically affect the race, so how can it work? For example, what if you punt someone off? What if you're in a position to prevent someone slipstreaming past the leader? In real life, if they were being held up by the leader their next lap might be a couple of seconds faster. It would be unrealistic for the game to make that lap a couple of seconds faster if the passing manoeuvre didn't take place. Failing to pass on that lap may also affect the driver's strategy or tactics (e.g. if near the end, may stick with 2nd/3rd place, or if near a tyre stop might push even harder than they had before). Unless your car has no interaction with the other cars, it's impossible to do.

Note that this could work for a rally game, as each car goes down the stages individually. Wouldn't work too well for somewhere like Australia though, where drivers' performance is affected by the order they run in.

[Edited by carl - 4/5/2002 2:08:13 PM]