Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Backup - SQL server

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2010, 09:03 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup - SQL server

Are there any SQL server / SAN storage experts on the board that can offer a professional view on this problem.

I have a virtual SQL 2008 server with a number of LUN's presented from my SAN which contain the VM's and the database data. The entire solution is replicated across two SANS at two sites using SRDF.

The database carries out around one million write transactions per day and data is never deleted from the database.

I need to back this up with zero downtime.

The other considerations are that I need to be able to restore from back up as quickly as possible, and in the event of failure I need to be able to restore back from backups without having lost any data.

My big concern is database corruption, SRDF will replicate any corrupt data or files to the secondary SAN. Oh the database physical size on disk is 18Tb.
Old 15 August 2010, 10:14 PM
freakin
Scooby Regular

What do you currently have in place for backups?
Old 16 August 2010, 12:12 AM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

my first line back up is SRDF replication to my DR data centre.

The VM's themselves are snapshotted once per week by VCentre and are backed up to DL320's using Lefthand backup.

The database is backed up to tape at present using commvault but, I need to change this as potentially any failure between increments could result in significant quantities of data loss. I think I am looking at something that can snapshot the DB regularly in its entirety, maybe Lefthand is the answer here also?

My other consideration is minimising outage duration in the event of having to restore or roll-back the DB.
Old 16 August 2010, 11:17 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

18TB!! ouch.

I have no experience with single db's of that size before!

Wouldn't it better if your app/db design was looked at so that your can reduce your working db size down and have something like an archive db(s) which just hold the old static data? Just a thought.

How about Timefinder/SIM?
Old 17 August 2010, 05:55 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What SAN are you using?

We use redgate for SQL backups, and do transaction log backups every 15 mins.

Ideally I guess what you need is a application aware snapshot.

IE if on netapp use something like snap manager for SQL.

Other option is look to see if you can get your virtual centre backups to integrate with VSS - mind you im not sure if that works with SQL though.

David
Old 08 February 2011, 03:38 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I'm no EMC expert but how about looking into Recoverpoint for application-consistent snapshots ? And also look at archiving some of the data in the DB as I am sure you dont need all of it on expensive FC disk.....

You could always invest in a NetApp V-Series and use SMSQL as David says