Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Gears of War 3 announced by accident

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2010, 09:59 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears of War 3 announced by accident

Whoopse

Somebody sent an advert for it to the XBL dashboard by accident then quickly got rid of it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/09/ge...-by-your-xbox/

To be honest i was a little suspicious when watching that Epic games tour on inside xbox the other day, the first thing i th0ught was "ohh they are ramping up the press interest for something, wonder if its Gears3"

Hopefully this time they give us dedicated servers for the multiplayer, i have been replaying Gears 1 multiplayer recently on the pc and the host/lag issues are none existent, i was wondering if this is because the average PC gamer is slightly more switched on to the internet and probably has a better connection then some oink on a console while downloading loads of moviez/torrentz via limewire.

It has made for a much nicer game to play when your shots are registering properly.
Old 09 April 2010, 11:00 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I still haven't finished the 2nd one yet. I had another go of playing it tonight and I was at a stage where I had to avoid HUGE teeth. I have no idea how far I'm in
Old 10 April 2010, 09:08 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

If he reports are correct, GOW3 will have a new cover system, portable mech armour, underwater sections and levels set in the jungle. I hope so, as I'm sick of all the grey and brown rock
Old 12 April 2010, 11:06 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I still haven't finished the 2nd one yet. I had another go of playing it tonight and I was at a stage where I had to avoid HUGE teeth. I have no idea how far I'm in
Inside the worm?

I think you are only about halfway through

I thought the second game was a little too colourfull tbh, less gritty and more cartoonish.
Old 12 April 2010, 11:21 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

still not finished the 2nd. cant get past the protecting the coms tower bit on my own. gave up in the end.
Old 13 April 2010, 07:21 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Just watched the trailer, some things i noticed.

Double barrel shotgun
Wimminz soldiers
Mad crazy worm thing with arms
More grey and brown rock =

Have to say though, the trailer seamed to be a bit crap IMO, the mad world trailer for the first game was spot on, this one seams a bit flat.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....shes-to-ashes/

Last edited by StickyMicky; 13 April 2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 13 April 2010, 06:05 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got 2 and never really even played it to be honest ..

Should I give it another go do you think?
Old 14 April 2010, 02:32 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

I assume Gears3 is going to have split time zones as that trailer on xbox live is based before the first Gears game, when Marcus and Dom were younger.

Unless its just going to show you flashback scenes.

Last edited by bish667; 14 April 2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 14 April 2010, 03:17 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I was disappointed with the 2nd one.The single player mode was very short.
Old 14 April 2010, 10:21 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bish667
I assume Gears3 is going to have split time zones as that trailer on xbox live is based before the first Gears game, when Marcus and Dom were younger.

Unless its just going to show you flashback scenes.

What makes you think they are younger?

Dom looked old as hell with his rootin, tootin beard.

The first game was based on Emergence Day, so no locust could be placed before the first game, as they never knew about them?

I was under the impression that this was the end of the main story, the whole place looks pretty fried tbh (hence all the ashes)

Edit, not seen the xbox live trailer, but assume its the same as the one shown on the Jimmy Fallon show in the usa?
Old 14 April 2010, 11:27 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Will Americans whoop whoop at anything!?

Agree with you Mickey, I thought the Mad World trailer for Gears1 was a great teaser trailer, even if it did show a beast you never ended up fighting on the Xbox
Old 15 April 2010, 09:29 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

To be honest, the content they cut from the xbox version of the first game was not really as good as the rest of the game IMO, the pc version i have is not as polished when you get to the extra content.

Played through the pc version sweet as a nut until i got to the new content, and then started getting framerate drops and a bit of stuttering, i think i remember finding a glitch where i fell out of the map the brumak fight was decent though.

What was really weird though about the pc version is that IIRC two of the cutscenes in between levels were not in game engine, the one where Ramm stabs Kim and another, them two are shown in some crap low textured 800x600 screen res type thing, its really strange
Smacks of "poor port" although the mutiplayer is a lot better due to increased frame rates etc etc
Old 15 April 2010, 11:42 AM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
What makes you think they are younger?

Dom looked old as hell with his rootin, tootin beard.

The first game was based on Emergence Day, so no locust could be placed before the first game, as they never knew about them?

I was under the impression that this was the end of the main story, the whole place looks pretty fried tbh (hence all the ashes)

Edit, not seen the xbox live trailer, but assume its the same as the one shown on the Jimmy Fallon show in the usa?

yea think your right, not sure where i get my ideas from, misread the trailer.

I mis-read the trailer as after reading the books the planet got covered in dust after the Hammer of Dawn was used to try and wipe out the locust (this was before Gears 1). I thought that was why it was so dusty in the trailer.
Even with this info from the book the trailer is definately after Gears 2 due to the age of the characters and which characters are in the trailer.

Last edited by bish667; 15 April 2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: edit
Old 15 April 2010, 01:06 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Some snippets of info i have found on the gears forums

Features
Rod confirmed 4 Player Co-Op in the Gears IRC, with 4 unique characters. Rod confirmed that co-op includes Marcus, Dom, Cole, Baird and a "variety of other characters". Cliff confirms that at some points in the game you will play as an entirely different squad (that includes no Marcus and no Dom).
Story
The story is written by fantastic author Karen Traviss, who wrote the Gears of War book series
Set 18 months after Gears of War 2, and after the fourth Gears of War book.
The Coalition has disbanded or dismantled. Everyone is essentially a Stranded.
The Locust have not been seen in the time that has passed since the end of Gears 2 and the beginning of Gears 3
The location shown in the "Ashes to Ashes" trailer is a location nicknamed 'Char', where the remains of victims from the Hammer of Dawn strikes are heavily present.
Imulsion is infecting everything, not just the Locust. The Lambent are a ton of different nightmarish creatures.
4 player co-op = good!
Old 16 April 2010, 07:30 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

I really enjoyed Horde on GOW2, thought it was excellent, I hope they do a new version in GOW3.
Old 16 April 2010, 08:56 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Agree with that, hoarde was my favorite, mainly because the lag problems were a lot less, the multiplayer was good when you got a good host.

When i changed my connection from BT to Be* (with a 1.3mb upload speed) i started getting picked for host 9/10 times when in a uk lobby, and the difference was huge.

All my mates seamed to prefer it when i hosted as the game ran a lot better, it just sucked when you were put on some redneck, yankee connection.
Old 16 April 2010, 08:56 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Agree with that, hoarde was my favorite, mainly because the lag problems were a lot less, the multiplayer was good when you got a good host.

When i changed my connection from BT to Be* (with a 1.3mb upload speed) i started getting picked for host 9/10 times when in a uk lobby, and the difference was huge.

All my mates seamed to prefer it when i hosted as the game ran a lot better, it just sucked when you were put on some redneck, yankee connection.