Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Home network help??????

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2010, 06:40 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Home network help??????

I've got a desktop which i use as a bit of a file store and a laptop i use for surfing. Quite often i need some files off the DT transferring to the lappy. I've tried setting up a home network using the wizard but i don't seem to be getting very far. I'm not even sure that's what i need to do any way.
I would just like to be able to see on the laptop, the files i've dropped into a shared folder on the DT so i can just copy and paste them into a folder on the lappy. Is this possible?
If it makes any difference - the DT is wired to the router and the lappy is wireless
Old 16 April 2010, 07:29 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it can be done, I just cant remember how

I have a few laptops and pc's, xp, vista and W7 networked so they can all share music and shared folders. I downloaded a help sheet off the microsoft site when I did mine.

Anyway, it can be done and if nobody comes back with the answer I'll try and dig the help sheet out for you.
Old 16 April 2010, 07:37 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 16 April 2010, 09:49 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Easy, set your Homegroup to the same name on both machines (give that a google, different path depending on OS)

Then right click the file, or indeeed whole hard drive you want to share and click properties and click the sharing tab, share the folder on the network (make sense when you do it) and reboot both machines.

On your laptop, click on Computer, then either click Tools at the top (XP) or just use the tab in others and click Map Network Drive then choose the folder/hard drive you want.

Every time you then boot your laptop (if the desktop is on) In myComputer, the laptop will see this as a drive (in my computer) and you can copy/paste at will.
Old 16 April 2010, 10:47 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

if you are using both Vista and XP you will need to download the LLTD protocol from the Microsoft site on to the XP machine so you can veiw the full map.

LLTD Protocol

Troubleshooting stuff
Old 17 April 2010, 09:42 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Set the share privileges for the directory the files are in to "all" so that one PC/user can access t'other.

right click on the directory, and select sharing, then advanced (on mine)....

HTH

dunx

P.S. I assume all's well with both of them at the moment...
Old 18 April 2010, 07:56 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

this needs to be approached in 3 stages

first share the folder on the DT machine

(validate by typing \\machinename\sharename in the run bar on the DT machine - the shared folder should appear)

it is a waste of time proceeding without completing this step

then check connectivity from the laptop by putting the \\machinename\sharename in the run bar (if that does not work put \\IP address\sharename)

again pointless progressing until that works

if you get the 2 bar logon prompt to access the folder when you attemp the above you kust need to enter the correct credentials (it is best to make sure the workgroup same on each machine)