Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Step-by-step guide to reset Netgear WGR614v9 router (Virgin BB)

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2010, 06:37 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step-by-step guide to reset Netgear WGR614v9 router (Virgin BB)

Hi

I have a PC hard wired to internet and a Netbook via wireless on my virgin BB.
Before Xmas the BB system went down for a day and Virgin made me reset my router.. I won't go into too much detail but after the reset, the guy on the phone could not take me much further. I could no longer "see" my router on a search as I was looking for my old user ID as instructed by the operator

Some days later after many calls, a more intelligent operator found it was back to the default "virgin broadband" so was there all along. I could always see this but assumed it was one of my neighbours :
Eventually I was guided through the hoops and back online.

Anyway ever since I can no longer connect my work PC via wireless nor can any visitors with Iphone internet gain access etc.
I think with all the trouble I had with Virgin I must have mis-placed the new password as typing the generic "password" (as stated on the bottom of the router) does not work when trying via gateway 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the number is). Clearly I'm not sure where I am with this.

I would like to do a complete reset but I'm afraid of not getting back on and having to spend ages phoning the Virgin idiots again. . Seems there is such a lot of things to do following reset.

So is there a way of finding out my current username and password with a view to changing them or do I do a full reset?

I would appreciate a step-by-step guide please.

Thanks

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 09 April 2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12 April 2010, 04:37 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I can't give you a step by step guide as I don't have or have used that router, but seeing as no one else has answered, I will give you a general guide, as most routers are basically the same anyway.

To do a full reset, get a pen and hold down the reset button on the router for 10 seconds or so, this will either reset the router to the user name and password printed on the device or it will leave them totally blank i.e just press ok to get on the router or it will be user name: admin password: password

To find the routers address (192.168.2.1 etc, go to Start>Run then in the command line type, ipconfig, look for the default gateway, that is the routers address, type this into internet explorer/firefox to log on)

Now that you have access to the router, you will need two items of information (phone virgin to get these) Your user name and password to get on the internet, these have nothing to do with the routers user name and password. Type these in to the routers config page and you should have internet access.
Old 12 April 2010, 05:33 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Iirc the default ip on netgear is 192.168.1.1

once you've reset your router it'll be unsecured too so get it protected asap.

Also virgin don't work on username and password as the modem is specificaaly yours. I'm assuming you have a virgin modem and netgear router.so it should be alot easier to setup.
Old 12 April 2010, 05:39 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

But if you don't want to reset the router put your gateway address in as said above with the username and password which also said above. But all this will have to e done through your computer connected with the wired connection. Look under wireless setting and you wireless key will be there
Old 12 April 2010, 08:30 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

turn on broadcast SSID mate.