Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apple Time Capsule..... DEAD

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2010, 08:53 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Apple Time Capsule..... DEAD

Woke up this morning to my AirPort Express Searching for the Time Capsule, looked at the TC and nothing, tried the usual unplugging plugging back in, fuse etc. Did a little bit of searching on the forums and it didn't make for good reading, with an average life span of 18mths (I brought mine 28th/10/08 so didn't even make the average!!!!)

Whats more annoying is that i use it purely as an external iTunes library as my MacBook only has 120GB HDD, so with films etc, my Mac HDD would be be full.

It seems that they have a common fault with the power supplies, when switching the power on to the Capsule, i get a brief blink of lights on the Ethernet ports on the back of the item then thats it.

I thought i'd post it on here just as a warning for other TC users that, it is best, like you should anyway, to back up your files, now i'm in the process of trying to see if my iTunes folder is recoverable, oh the joy!!!
Old 02 April 2010, 09:32 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

If it's not even 18 months old I'd be booking an appointment at the Apple store. Worse case can you take the drive out? I'm a bit scared now as mine's a launch model.
Old 02 April 2010, 09:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Hopefully it's just the PSU side of things that is dead and the drive itself is ok, in which case pulling the drive and putting it in an external enclosure will allow you to get access to your media.

It is somewhat shocking, to say the least, at the low lifespan of the devices, plus it seems it's a known issue, and Apple should be doing something about this, especially as they promote the TC as a backup solution.
Old 02 April 2010, 10:17 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Really unimpressed with Apple products now, everything I have bought for my business from Apple has had a problem.

What is so annoying is I've worked with Apple products for almost 20 years and all the products bought by companies I've worked for have been fine and I've used almost every Apple computer made. Now having worked for myself for 5 years both my G5 (just over 3 years), MBP (18 months) and now my business partners iMac (12 months and 2 days) have had problems, his G4 laptop had issues and we've been through countless Mighty Mouse... All cr4p.

I have a Powerbook G3 that sits under my bureaux keeping files for me that just keeps on going, must be 10+ years old now and I didnt buy that.....

I'm rapidly running out of patience and wonder why I bleat on about how great Apple stuff is...

I hate windows so much and love OSX but buying this rubbish hardware is doing my head in...
Old 03 April 2010, 03:23 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I think that they have become a little too popular and thus the quality has been degraded and that is to their extreme detriment.

I'd say that you and I, along with others on here love Apple products, but aren't zealots, and when we become disenchanted it does them serious harm. If we are loathed to recommend their products, then who will?

I've got a G3 iMac here which, until recently, acted as our webserver. It's running 9.2.2, and Webstar 4.5. It's done this for quite some time, and prior to that I think the site ran on a G4, and prior to that it was on a Centris 610.

My G4 iBook is still quite happy, the S key has lost it's lettering and the battery is knackered (I'm too lazy/cheap to buy a new one for 100 odd bucks) but on AC power it runs just fine. I've patched the DVD firmware on it to be region free and I have been known to play movies on it from time to time. It just keeps on ticking. Shame it won't run Snow Leopard, but it runs Leopard very happily.

I think Apple really needs to re-evaluate things and try and restore the quality of it's products. Using the argument that paying more for a superior product does not quite cut it when the products are wearing out far, far too soon.
Old 03 April 2010, 08:16 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

you have to remember at the end of the day Apple are a business and someone has made a decision along the line to use x component instead of y because it saves $z. someone else already did a study to find out how much they will have to shell out if component x fails with complaints. built in obsolescence is the norm now so Apple isn't standing alone.

i have to say their perceived build quality kung foo is strong, so they are good at hoodwinking people lol
Old 03 April 2010, 11:57 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Marcus, I used to write websites using Webstar, FMPro and Lasso.... (God knows why... LOL) so I have loads of experience of that particular setup.

Im just frustrated that all the kit I have inherited/acquired has all been fine and everything I've bought from my hard earned cash has failed.
Old 05 April 2010, 08:36 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Managed to get in to a Apple Store today and have an appointment for Friday with a 'Genius', and i don't need one of them to tell me it's fooked!!!.
Old 08 April 2010, 11:16 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Got offered a refurbed unit, but decided to keep my dead one and stick the HD in to a £30 Caddy, all my iTunes are there
Old 09 April 2010, 09:58 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Can't you have both? I'd want a refurb unit and my data. Glad the data's there though, I guess that's the most important aspect.
Old 15 April 2010, 01:47 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

To be honest i don't want another, when i've got the cash i'll get the AirPort Extreme and piggy back the HDD off of that. They sure do shoe-horn everything in there!!!