Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apple Dev Help

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2010, 01:22 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple Dev Help

I have an old Mac Mini (PPC one) running OS 10.3.9 and want to develop a simple console style app to talk to a modem via a serial port.

Problem number 1: I've registered on the Apple Developer Program but I can't get the web pages to display on Safari on the Mini, I know there is more data as I've just connected using Windows and IE.

Problem number 2: I can't find any downloads for Xcode except for Snow Leopard which of course won't run on my old system.

This app is simply for a bit of fun so I'm not really wanting to spend money buying a new system that'll be useless in 2 years as none of the current software will run on it etc. Am I simply barking up the wrong tree and should forget the whole idea or is there a tool chain I can download and use on my ancient kit?

TIA
Old 19 March 2010, 01:19 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I will have a look when I get home to see if I have Xcode for 10.3.x. It does not shock me that it might not be online as 10.3 was eol'd a fair while back. Apple really only supports 10.5 and later

I do have a feeling that Xcode might not have existed around that time and you'd need to use something like codewarrior, of you can stillget hold of it

apple never used to have thier own IDE hence the third party apps, but once Xcode came out everyone switched to it and stopped using other ide's unless they needed 68k support.

I will also talk to my dev friends tomorrow at work and ask what they would use for previous OS version coding. They will possbly say a 10.4 version of Xcode as that should support lower OS versions
Old 19 March 2010, 01:22 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

As for he safari thing. It could be you need a new version of safari a
but I would guess you are on the latest you can be. In which case try firefox
Old 19 March 2010, 10:22 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies Markus, I'll try FF as it would be easier to do it all on the Mac. I did force an update but all Apple thought it needed was; update to the airport adapter I don't have, update to the Bluetooth which I don't think I have and to Java which I do

I'll Google Codewarrior and see what that turns up. Ta.