Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Using an LCD monitor as a TV - how?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2010, 11:02 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using an LCD monitor as a TV - how?

I have a 19" LCD monitor which works perfectly but is no longer used so I was thinking of possibly using it as a TV in the bedroom.

It won't be rigged up to a PC and doesn't have any sound. The only connection it has is a VGA. I do, however, have an integrated TV distribution system here in the flat so that I can receive Sky in the bedroom via an aerial point which is connected to the Sky+ HD box in the lounge.

So, other than a new remote and some speakers, what more do I need? I've done some searching around on the internet but keep coming up with different things. Is the simplest option just to buy a small telly? Having said that I've yet to find a small LCD TV with decent sound so I'd probably buy new speakers anyway.
Old 05 February 2010, 11:22 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it could be done with the LCD you have, having just a VGA connection.
Unless there is a VGA to RCA converter about, then you could plug a freeviewbox into it.
Old 05 February 2010, 11:53 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
VGA to RCA converter
These are available but then as the LCD has no sound, the tuner box (freeview, sky whatever) will need an audio out and you'll need something to provide the audio - power speakers of some sort.

Bit of a faff really.

Last edited by EddScott; 05 February 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05 February 2010, 12:03 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

You need this sort of thing: Gadmei XGA/VGA LCD TV BOX + Play Video Games On PC CRT: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I used to use something similar (pretty sure it was Gadmei) and it did the job but only adequately, quality was a bit iffy. I don't remember ever using the speaker as I was using PC speakers, but at least it's there so you have the option.
Old 05 February 2010, 01:03 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
I have a 19" LCD monitor which works perfectly but is no longer used so I was thinking of possibly using it as a TV in the bedroom.

It won't be rigged up to a PC and doesn't have any sound. The only connection it has is a VGA. I do, however, have an integrated TV distribution system here in the flat so that I can receive Sky in the bedroom via an aerial point which is connected to the Sky+ HD box in the lounge.

So, other than a new remote and some speakers, what more do I need? I've done some searching around on the internet but keep coming up with different things. Is the simplest option just to buy a small telly? Having said that I've yet to find a small LCD TV with decent sound so I'd probably buy new speakers anyway.

You of all people know that this thread belongs in the Computer section
Old 05 February 2010, 01:39 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Convert the output of a freeview box into red,white and yellow cables(rca?), then get a rca to vga but just plug the yellow cable in, then plug in the red and white cables to a sound output (homecinema, computer speakers etc)

Awkward but do able.
Old 05 February 2010, 02:23 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

You of all people know that this thread belongs in the Computer section
Ah shaddit you

I couldn't decide between NSR, Computer or DIY as it's a bit of all three. I should've spammed them all

Thanks for the tips chaps. It sounds like it's easier to just buy a telly