Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

new iPhone software update

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2010, 03:25 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new iPhone software update

There's a new iPhone software update (291Mb!).

What happens to jailbroken phones? do they just revert back to standard and lose any additional apps that shouldn't be on there?
Old 03 February 2010, 04:03 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes.
Old 03 February 2010, 04:25 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jack.
Old 03 February 2010, 05:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

As Jack said, if you upgrade to 3.1.3 (or whatever the version is) then you lose the jailbreak. At present pwnagetool isn't compatible with the new version, and blackra1n probably doesn't work.

What I'd suggest is keeping an eye on this blog as the latest info should be posted there.
Old 03 February 2010, 05:44 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Anyone know what's in the new update?
Old 03 February 2010, 06:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Here is the security updates that are in 3.1.3

I'm trying to find any other support docs detailing what's in the update, so far I've found the following info:

This update for the iPhone and iPod touch contains bug fixes and improvements, including the following:

- Improves accuracy of reported battery level on iPhone 3GS
- Resolves issue where third-party apps would not launch in some instances
- Fixes bug that may cause an app to crash when using the Japanese Kana keyboard

Last edited by Markus; 03 February 2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03 February 2010, 07:03 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I only jailbroke my phone to change the theme and try out copilot8 (very good by the way, purchased it). Most of the free themes are utter tosh!
Going back to standard won't be a problem, just worried it was going to clear the phone of everything!
Old 03 February 2010, 10:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Well before you update, plug in the iPhone, fire up iTunes, right click on the iPhone icon and select "back up" and it will back up the settings.

One thing to note, the update will restore the phone but it will NOT put the media back on the device, so you'll need to add music, movies and such like back on yourself, unless you sync via playlist.

I've got a 3GS playlist in iTunes that I populate with the music that I put onto the phone, thus if I have to restore all I need to do is copy over that playlist and I know it will match the state of the phone.
Old 04 February 2010, 09:54 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I did the upgrade, as stated it made it 'look like new'. The few apps I'd 'borrowed' were still on there but wouldn't fire up so I've deleted them.
Old 04 February 2010, 12:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Yup, the "trial" apps will be there but when you try and sync them across you will get an error (can't remember exactly what it says) which is because it's checking the signature on them and finding it either does not have one or it's been modified, so it prevents you from copying it. I'm surprised Apple doesn't put up an alert saying "The Application <app name> could not be copied because it has been illegally obtained" or something similar.
Old 05 February 2010, 02:40 PM
FX02
Scooby Regular

I've just tried updating mine and I get an error 23 message appearing. It does the same on another PC in our house with 2 Itouch's as well.

Any ideas any one?
Old 05 February 2010, 03:45 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

dont update if you have a jailbroken phone. mines screwed and now cant get it re broken due to the hackers not having the know how for the latest baseband, been trying to sort it for months. now having to use a rubbish sony ericson for calls but using iphone for apps. annoying but until the new stuff comes out not a lot it can do unless anyone knows of a new jailbreak???
Old 05 February 2010, 08:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steffi4
dont update if you have a jailbroken phone. mines screwed and now cant get it re broken due to the hackers not having the know how for the latest baseband, been trying to sort it for months. now having to use a rubbish sony ericson for calls but using iphone for apps. annoying but until the new stuff comes out not a lot it can do unless anyone knows of a new jailbreak???
In what way is it screwed? Did installing the 3.1.3 kill it somehow, or is it simply that it's no longer jailbroken?

No there isn't a JB for 3.1.3 yet and it's possible if there is one it might be tethered, which would not be much fun.

I've not gone to 3.1.3 as yet but might do so over the weekend. I don't need my 3GS to be jailbroken, I did it to see how easy it was, plus being able to use a terminal app to connect to other machines is handy and I don't think there is an official terminal app from the app store.
Old 05 February 2010, 08:37 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Well my jailbroken 3GS had the update applied and it's fine. Albeit as I said before, it's now 'standard' again. I miss the one decent theme I found for it but I'm not that bothered that I can't get it back as yet.
Old 05 February 2010, 08:56 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I had the terminal app when you needed it to perform an unlock. I don't miss it, thought it might but I don't.
Old 05 February 2010, 09:54 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Unless you can now have your own text alerts, or Cycorder etc, I think I'll be leaving my iphone as it is.
Besides, Apple haven't even sorted the sync between iphoto and the iphone...... bound to be something wrong with this one!!
I'll wait until the the Blackrain people sort it out - no hurry

Dan

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 05 February 2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05 February 2010, 10:09 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
In what way is it screwed? Did installing the 3.1.3 kill it somehow, or is it simply that it's no longer jailbroken?

No there isn't a JB for 3.1.3 yet and it's possible if there is one it might be tethered, which would not be much fun.

I've not gone to 3.1.3 as yet but might do so over the weekend. I don't need my 3GS to be jailbroken, I did it to see how easy it was, plus being able to use a terminal app to connect to other machines is handy and I don't think there is an official terminal app from the app store.

i just cant jailbreak it. it wont accept any jailbreaks that ive found on the net. either the baseband or version wont allow it. apparently apple et you to update so you cant jalbreak? driving me mad as i need the iphone to work with a 3 sim. partner got a really good deal with his business phone and got a new iphone3gs and his is fine as its form 3 but my old iphone 3g on o2 wont allow anything to make it accept 3 or any other network ive tried everything from fuzzyband to yellowsnow, purplesnow ect and the pineapple jailbreak nothing works
Old 05 February 2010, 10:23 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

If it was your husbands old phone why don't you just let O2 unlock it?

Unlock my iPhone - iPhone
Old 05 February 2010, 10:25 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Unless you can now have your own text alerts, or Cycorder etc, I think I'll be leaving my iphone as it is.
Besides, Apple haven't even sorted the sync between iphoto and the iphone...... bound to be something wrong with this one!!
I'll wait until the the Blackrain people sort it out - no hurry

Dan
Video is now allowed on the original iPhone upwards, plenty of apps for that. Text alerts I'm not sure about, but can't imagine that's a good selling point for Jailbreaking. Not sure what you mean regarding iPhoto, everything's working fine and always has. And unlocking the sim I've covered above. One thing you do get by Jailbreaking is vastly reduced security, I guess some people like that.
Old 05 February 2010, 10:33 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Only vastly-reduced security if you've kept everything on the present p/words etc. Only an idiot would leave it like that.

The iphoto issue has been pretty well documented on the Apple Discussion forums, so I'm not the only one. Not overly bothered as I can ftp to the directory and copy over (same for my video).

I would argue that it's a pretty obvious selling point for Jailbreaking. Unless of course you're intimating that I'm using lots of dodgy apps on my phone......
Old 05 February 2010, 10:40 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

ps looked @ quick videocamera, and not as good as cycorder (in terms of quickness to use).... also the Cydia App store is great!! Loads of apps that don't necessarily meet Apple's sometimes draconian standards.....

Everyone should blackra1n once. Even to see how it opens up the phone to lots of other possibilities. ie imho, the phone it should be.

Yes, if you're into all dodgy stuff, knock yourself out, as it's VERY easy to do. Your call.
Old 05 February 2010, 11:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Apple's draconian standards with regard to security? I think you might find an app installed via Cydia could do as much if not more damage than not changing passwords.

As for your comment about everyone using blackra1n once, perhaps Steffi up there would care to comment, I'm pretty sure she's not too keen on jailbreaking right now.

If you're prepared to expose yourself to heartache and risk for the sake of a text alert then that's your prerogative, but not necessarily something you should be pushing on others.

No problems here with the update by the way - 3GS with O2 official Sim unlock.
Old 06 February 2010, 02:00 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steffi4
i just cant jailbreak it. it wont accept any jailbreaks that ive found on the net. either the baseband or version wont allow it. apparently apple et you to update so you cant jalbreak? driving me mad as i need the iphone to work with a 3 sim. partner got a really good deal with his business phone and got a new iphone3gs and his is fine as its form 3 but my old iphone 3g on o2 wont allow anything to make it accept 3 or any other network ive tried everything from fuzzyband to yellowsnow, purplesnow ect and the pineapple jailbreak nothing works
Ok, so it's more that you cannot use the phone to make calls as it's not activated because it's locked to a specific network and you want to use it on another network.

Not wishing to be rude, but that isn't Apple's fault nor the 3.1.1 update's fault. I thought that the updated had actually messed the phone up in some way, but you meant screwed as in you personally are because you cannot use the phone.

You can try whatever you like but I'd not bother, as yet no-one has a jailbreak for 3.1.3, geohot does not seem overly bothered about updating blackra1n, he does have a life outside of hacking and is no-doubt being inundated with people demanding he fixes blackra1n to work with 3.1.3 and sort out the untethered JB. I'd quite understand if he just went "**** this, I've had enough" and didn't do anything.

I'm sure something will be found eventually, it might just be a jailbreak rather than an unlock, as if you've updated the baseband there isn't any known unlock, even for pre 3.1.3 updates.
Old 06 February 2010, 07:59 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Markus, the best advice is for people to officially unlock with O2, I know you can't see the page as you're in the colonies but it's as simple as entering the IMEI number then putting a O2 sim back in. The phone will then be activated and unlocked for use on any network.
Old 06 February 2010, 12:38 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

A *seriously* stupid question, but I would presume the aforementioned page does ask for some kind of proof that you've had a contract with O2, so you can't just take a 3G/3GS you purchased from, for example, the US, and unlock it.

I know, 7am stupid question

I'm hoping the next major release of the OS will, as with the iPad (perhaps when the iPad ships, the SDK is in beta, and it's got to go final before you can submit new apps created with it to the store) remove the unlock. JB, obviously they won't allow it, but an unlock is a big deal for those who visit different countries and don't want to get shafted on roaming charges.
Old 06 February 2010, 10:40 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

At no point did I mention apple were draconian towards security. They are a tad on the harsh side with their apps development though. Loads of good apps out there that don't meet APPLE's standards. But security is good.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with blackra1n as long as you know what you're doing. A point proved evident by some of the experiences posted (or that's the impression).

Each to their own though. I have no issue with it as I love playing with this type of stuff.
Old 06 February 2010, 11:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Marcus, the page asks for the IMEI number and your phone number, they txt when it's processed. I'm pretty sure you'll need an O2 sim - maybe even the original - when you connect to iTunes for the unlock.

I got to use my unlocked phone in anger over the last couple of weeks in South Africa, I was full bore downloading maps and weather data, as well as my usual heavy data habit and it cost £30 all in. Would have been a few thousand on a locked phone I'm sure. It's massively unfair that more service providers don't unlock the phone.

ScoobyDoo555 I love playing with them too, but like you say you need to know exactly what you're doing.
Old 07 February 2010, 10:52 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

I keep getting error 3259 when trying to download 3.1.3
Old 08 February 2010, 05:41 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Doesn't sound too serious iTunes Store reporting error - 3259 firewall maybe??
Old 08 February 2010, 07:20 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Already seen that so I Disabled my firewal and tried without success

Quick Reply: new iPhone software update