Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows + Mac co-existing on same network?

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2010, 08:59 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows + Mac co-existing on same network?

Hi, we recently installed a new wireless network in our house. The network consists of one Windows Vista PC, and one iMac with Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

While both devices connect to the router and access the internet just fine, the 2 can't see each other over a network. The Windows PC is (as far as I can see) configured correctly, and I did attempt to connect the MAC to the same workgroup that the Vista PC is using.

They still can't see each other and the Windows PC can't ping the Mac.

Any ideas?

Darren
Old 16 January 2010, 09:43 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Markus did a great guide for this a while back...

Mac to PC
Old 16 January 2010, 11:14 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

if they are on the same IP subnet (they will be if they can both get internet access thru the same default gateway) then it will be a firewall issue

(unless you have modified your local routing tables - which I doubt)
Old 17 January 2010, 12:14 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

To get the Mac to connect you need to go into System Preferences -> Sharing and enable File Sharing, then click Options and make sure the option for SMB is enabled. You'll also need to click on account and enter it's password as well.

One other thing, whilst in Sharing, make sure the Computer name field does not contain any spaces. If there are spaces, either remove them or replace them with a "-" character.
Old 17 January 2010, 07:47 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Hodgy - my Mac and PC talk to each other and I don't ever recollect setting firewall rules or modifying the routing tables.
Old 17 January 2010, 12:13 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

that maybe so David

and I am sure all Markus's config points are correct

but the OP states that "the Windows PC can't ping the Mac." -- until this is addressed nothing is going to work. (unless some sort of firewalling of the ICMP protocol is taking place - which i doubt)

so logically, if you accept that both PC's are on the same LAN segment -- because they can both contact the same default gateway address then the only thing stopping them communicating with each other is some sort of firewalling

(I am obviously assuming the OP is using the correct IP details)

firewalls work in a unidirectional fashion - i.e. host A maybe able to ping host B -- but this does not necessarily mean host B can ping Host A

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 17 January 2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 17 January 2010, 01:48 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure if the Mac firewall is enabled by default, would not shock me if it was. It does have a stealth mode which does state it'll stop pings. I don't think that is enabled by default though.

Darren,
Can the Mac ping the PC?

Here is something to try:

On the PC, from the start menu type in cmd into the search box, it should pop up the DOS application, click on that to run it. type in ipconfig and take a screenshot and post it on here.

On the mac, go into Applications -> Utilities and run Terminal and issue the following command ifconfig and then take a screenshot (hold down command/Apple + shift + the 4 key, then hover over the terminal window and press the spacebar, you'll get a picture of a camera, then click) and post it up on here.

This will allow us to see the address the Mac and PC are configured to use.

Also go into System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall. Take another screenshot of the window, then click the Advanced button and take a screenshot of that and post them up.

Silly question, have you enabled File Sharing on the Windows PC and also, have you gone into the Windows firewall app and enabled file sharing as an exception?

Last edited by Markus; 18 January 2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 17 January 2010, 01:51 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
that maybe so David

and I am sure all Markus's config points are correct

but the OP states that "the Windows PC can't ping the Mac."
Good point - I missed that bit!!

As you can tell - I have never been a detail man

BTW - network still up and running - very robust on the inside - although the Home Hub has dropped the link to the WAN a couple of times but recovered itself.

MTBF has gone from around 20 mins to 4 days!! Can't be bad
Old 18 January 2010, 09:55 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
I'm not sure if the Mac firewall is enabled by default, would not shock me if it was. It does have a stealth mode which does state it'll stop pings. I don't think that is enabled by default though.

Darren,
Can the Mac ping the PC?

Here is something to try:

On the PC, from the start menu type in cmd into the search box, it should pop up the DOS application, click on that to run it. type in IP config and take a screenshot and post it on here.

On the mac, go into Applications -> Utilities and run Terminal and issue the following command ifconfig and then take a screenshot (hold down command/Apple + shift + the 4 key, then hover over the terminal window and press the spacebar, you'll get a picture of a camera, then click) and post it up on here.

This will allow us to see the address the Mac and PC are configured to use.

Also go into System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall. Take another screenshot of the window, then click the Advanced button and take a screenshot of that and post them up.

Silly question, have you enabled File Sharing on the Windows PC and also, have you gone into the Windows firewall app and enabled file sharing as an exception?

Sorry for the late reply, but anyway here are the screen shots you asked for Markus...

Old 18 January 2010, 11:54 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, so on the Mac side of things the firewall is off, so we can rule that out. File sharing does appear to be enabled. IP address for the Mac is 192.168.1.101 and that's on en1, which would be the Airport card (en0 being built-ethernet port).
That looks like an address being provided by DHCP, probably by your router/modem.

What I need to know is what the PC is reporting for an IP address.

Name of the machine does not have spaces in it, you've replaced them with hyphens. Perhaps try changing the computer name in Sharing to just "iMac" (without the quotes), it should not matter too much, but I cannot remember what windows computer name character length limit is.
Old 18 January 2010, 07:55 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Ok, so on the Mac side of things the firewall is off, so we can rule that out. File sharing does appear to be enabled. IP address for the Mac is 192.168.1.101 and that's on en1, which would be the Airport card (en0 being built-ethernet port).
That looks like an address being provided by DHCP, probably by your router/modem.

What I need to know is what the PC is reporting for an IP address.

Name of the machine does not have spaces in it, you've replaced them with hyphens. Perhaps try changing the computer name in Sharing to just "iMac" (without the quotes), it should not matter too much, but I cannot remember what windows computer name character length limit is.
The PC IP address is ...1.102

I have changed the name of my iMac to DarreniMac.

When on the PC in DOS and I typed in IP config is came back saying
"'IP' is not reconised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"
Old 18 January 2010, 08:57 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

all one word
Old 18 January 2010, 10:38 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ah, sorry, I put it as two words, should have checked what I typed. I've edited the message and it should have said, enter ipconfig (one word) into the dos comment prompt.
Old 19 January 2010, 06:58 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Here you go...

Old 20 January 2010, 07:17 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Markus, Sorry I was a bit slow on picking up something you typed for Simon C about in Finder to to 'Go' and connect to server (words to that effect).I did not realise this until this morning . Alas, I tried it, but came a cropper when it asked me for the username and password for the PC. Now I know the name of the PC, but I don't think my Dad has a password. According to my friend (who is a computer geek) says that there is a option to allow you not to have passwords for file shareing, but we could not find it on Vista home premium. Also he said that the networking side of Vista is only in the pro versions and not the Home versions....?