Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

The forthcoming iSlate or tablet ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2010, 10:00 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The forthcoming iSlate or tablet ?

Most people assume it is coming and will be announced by the end of this month. There have been various rumors circulating for ages and they vary in credibility and detail etc. However this posting by John Gruber from his blog 'Daring Fireball' is one of the few that makes some sense

Daring Fireball

So how would it fit in your computing life ? Would you even need one, want one ?

I have an iMac at home, an iPhone and an old Powerbook that has served me well for over 6 years now. It still works well (ish) and is running 10.5. At work I have various macs and window pc's to deal with. So would a tablet device be useful for me, I think not.

I guess it all depends on many factors. If as John states, it is meant to replace your laptop and compliment your iphone or PDA, then all good.
Old 01 January 2010, 11:14 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume as it is Apple that it will be a great product. What concerns me is the keyboard if it is really to replace a laptop. I can't type that quickly on the iPhone and any touch-screen keyboard is just painful.

Steve
Old 01 January 2010, 12:38 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Yeh, it's been lauded as the "iPad"..... VERY expensive though.
Old 01 January 2010, 12:43 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I assume as it is Apple that it will be a great product. What concerns me is the keyboard if it is really to replace a laptop. I can't type that quickly on the iPhone and any touch-screen keyboard is just painful.

Steve
I know what you mean but this extract

But so while I think The Tablet’s OS will be like the iPhone OS, I don’t think it will be the iPhone OS. Carved from the same OS X core, yes, but with a new bespoke UI designed to be just right for The Tablet’s form factor, whatever that form factor will be.

One common prediction I disagree with is that The Tablet will simply be more or less an iPod Touch with a much bigger display. But in the same way that it made no sense for Apple to design the iPhone OS to run Mac software, it makes little sense for a device with a 7-inch (let alone larger) display to run software designed for a 3.5-inch display.

The iPhone OS user interface was not designed in the abstract. It’s entirely about real-world usability, and very much designed specifically around the physical size of the device itself. The size and spacing of tappable targets are designed with the size of human thumb- and fingertips in mind. More importantly, the whole thing is designed so that it can be used one-handed. Even an adult with relatively small hands can go from one corner to the other with their thumb, holding the iPhone in one hand.

Mac OS X apps couldn’t run on an iPhone display because they simply wouldn’t fit, and the parts that did fit would contain buttons and other UI elements that were far too small to be used. Running iPhone software on a much larger display presents the opposite problem: it’s not that the UI couldn’t be scaled to fill the screen, it’s that it would be a waste to do so.
seems to suggest that the OS is being redesigned to fit the tablets size and thus it might be designed to be a much better user experience. Saying that to a lot of people touch typing is painful on a touch screen. Maybe something like the pre's or some of the Blackberry resistive keyboard might work whereby you get feedback when typing. An almost sprung like feel which is more like keyboards of today
Old 01 January 2010, 12:54 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I am looking forward to the launch. At the moment I have to travel three days a week with my clients Wintel brick and my Macbook Pro.

The iPhone is good on the move but I really like to use to Mac in the evenings for running my own business (skyving on Snet, etc.) so iSlate may be the perfect compromise in usage and portability.
Old 01 January 2010, 01:44 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Now you Trout may be the perfect customer. One who does not want to lug around a fully functioning laptop, yet the iphone or similar PDA does not quite cut it when needing to do some work, browsing etc.

For me the killer functions would be :

The ability to use remote apps like Logmein/terminal services etc whereby I could work on clients servers, connect to work etc without trying to do it on the iphone

A decent sized browser (pinch and zoom is okay on the iphone but you tend to swipe and scroll a lot)

Teamed with google apps, iwork or ms apps, the ability to work on files and documents on the road.

Obviously wifi, bluetooth built in. I doubt it would be a sim based product so 3G or tethering might be useful

The ability to be a book reader aka the kindle would be nice, with podcasts, videos etc

If I could have all that, then my briefcase would be a lot lighter as right now I lump around dozens of cables, hard drives, my powerbook, notebooks etc
Old 01 January 2010, 03:30 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

The Register has a whole series of articles about control in the next decade and sites Apple as the main offender (all applications needing to be signed etc...): iSlate? I spy more control from Cupertino ? The Register

Steve
Old 01 January 2010, 04:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I hope it's not call the iSlate, not a great name imho. I'd prefer iTab or something similar. If it is called the iSlate then you can just guess there will be headlines "slating" it, with pun very much intended.

As for the keyboard side of things. I'm sure I've mention that 10.6's Keyboard Viewer has some kind of semi-translucent look to it, and/or it could be enlarged to a rather stupidly large size. Now, using a normal desktop/laptop Mac it would be silly at this size, or even smaller sizes as using it for input requires you to click on the keys. However, if you extrapolate this to it being on a touch sensitive screen, then it makes a lot more sense. I found this blog with a picture of said on-screen keyboard, and the chap has the same conclusion in regards to it being for a tablet.

I'm obviously going to be interested to see what they do release and how they envisage it being used. I can't see myself getting one though, but again, depends on what you can use it for.
Old 01 January 2010, 08:20 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Now you Trout may be the perfect customer. One who does not want to lug around a fully functioning laptop, yet the iphone or similar PDA does not quite cut it when needing to do some work, browsing etc.
Ignoring the fancy touchscreen rubbish and putting aside asthetics for a moment, don't netbooks already fill that niche (for a much lower price)?
Old 01 January 2010, 09:54 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Ignoring the fancy touchscreen rubbish and putting aside asthetics for a moment, don't netbooks already fill that niche (for a much lower price)?
It all depends really. No-one has the definite price but expect it to be around the £350 mark.
Now I think that is around £80-£100 more than the current netbooks and based on Apple premium prices, about right ??
Old 01 January 2010, 10:34 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I would be interested in one at £350 but I seriously doubt Apple will sell it for less than £500
Old 01 January 2010, 11:50 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That does sound very cheap for Apple...
Old 02 January 2010, 08:02 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
That does sound very cheap for Apple...
Actually it does
My currency calculator must be up the swanney
Old 02 January 2010, 12:19 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm getting one. My little black Macbook is still awesome, even at three years old, but it's becoming a pain getting it out to watch a movie or listen to music. The iPhone has completely changed what I'm looking for in a portable device. And I'm sure'ish that my current bluetooth keyboard and mouse will work perfectly.
Old 02 January 2010, 12:29 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Various prices are slated for the ummm islate

Here is just one of the rumored costings

Expect Apple tablet at around £400 - analyst
Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster does not believe Apple would sell tablet for $2,000
Karen Haslam

An analyst is predicting that the Apple tablet will retail for between $500 and $700 (£300-£425) rather than the $2,000 (£1,213) suggested by Technology Business Research analyst Ezra Gottheil.

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster does not buy the claims that a high-end tablet with an OLED screen would retail for $2,000 (£1,213), according to an Apple Insider report.

If the Apple tablet is priced higher than $700 (£424) when it does launch next year, it could significantly reduce its potential sales, according to Munster.

Munster believes that Apple will price the new device somewhere between the £149 iPod touch and the £799 MacBook. Piper Jaffray has forecast that the tablet device will cost between $500 (£303) and $700 (£424).

Munster’s report noted: "As a point of perspective, iSuppli has reported the bill of materials on the iPhone 3GS is $179 (£108). Backing out the phone functionality, we believe the bill of materials is about $160 (£97). Assuming the tablet is 3x the size of the iPod touch implies a bill of materials for the tablet of around $480 (£291)."

Munster believes the hardware will be priced to compete with the growing netbook market, even if it means less revenue for the Mac maker.
Old 04 January 2010, 09:59 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Would expect the majority of sales to be those people who just have to have the latest tech. I mean there are plenty of people who bought an iPhone because it's made by Apple but how many, when they actually bought it, would actually need all the functionality. It is only later that they find an app for this and app for that and then integrate it into their lifestyle.

If the tablet is simply a device that is halfway between a MacBook and an iTouch then they would have really missed a trick. But I don't think they will. Rumours already circulating about deals for content from publishers. A tablet is perfect for an eBook reader. And if they get it right, they could really make a Kindle killer (which wouldn't be difficult) but more importantly, really push the paperless publishing to new heights.

eBooks are all well and good and with colour e-ink coming, will improve. But if Apple get it right we will in a position where you can carry all the books, manuals, legal documents etc. that you need for your work life and all the books, novels, and (I assume) subscription based newspapers and magazines for your home life. Add to that what iTunes can gives you, e.g. music but more importantly video on a useable screen, then you really do have something that people could actually want rather than just think is "nice".

As for whether it'll be a cut-down OS-X or an improved iPhone OS, it doesn't really matter as the software won't be important, it'll be the user experience that will be everything.

Personally, I would love to see it be a cut down version of OSX so that you can run normal applications on it when on the move. Software keyboard, no matter how poor won't be the end of the world because if there is BlueTooth, you could always use an external keyboard/mouse if you need to. But I would assume you would do your production on a "proper" computer then use the tablet for presentation in most cases.

Also personally, I have used eBook readers for several years (mainly Sony ones) as I am a big reader of fiction and non-fiction books. I also read physical newspapers and magazines. Combine the whole lot in a single package that is easy to use and update (and I think Apple are good at this sort of thing) then it would actually be a killer app for me. Add the ability to view PDF documents, in colour, on a large screen, then that would solve a lot of my mobile work requirements as well.

But you know Apple, there is always something there that is better than expected. I can see using a tablet for video conferencing to become a big thing too. And then there will no doubt be docking options, e.g. dock the tablet to your Mac and it'll sync documents on the fly and you can then just grab and run with the tablet. For non-business users, it'll be dock and sync your iTunes library of music, films and TV programmes, undock and run and catch up with your TV on the train etc.

I'm looking forward to what it can actually do, but in my case, it'll be what content will be available for it rather than what the device itself can do which will make the decision for me.

Cheers

Ian
Old 04 January 2010, 11:12 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Two things there Ian, firstly I absolutely disagree with your opinion that the software won't be important. Apple tying the software and the hardware together is what makes the user experience as pleasant as it is, look at all the hardware out that that surpasses the iPhone, they've all failed so far as the software and hardware were not designed together. Also, the syncing that you talk about as being in the future happens now, wirelessly and with full back ups would your believe!!

I'm sat here right now having a coffee whilst browsing on my Macbook. How they make the tablet usable on the lap is going to be crucial, if they can nail that then it's the end of the laptop for a lot of people.
Old 04 January 2010, 11:51 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Jack, I totally agree with you and if I could have crafted my initial reply better then it may have made more sense.

What I meant to say was that it doesn't matter what OS it runs at all, the OS will be abstracted away by the user interface to the point the OS itself isn't important to the user experience. The user interface will be everything. No average user of an iPhone cares or has any real sight of the underlying OS. Same with an iPod, Android phone etc. The OS is no longer important, the User Interface and associated chrome is.

I do totally agree that a designed, ground up hardware/software mix *is* the only way to provide such a user experience. I think we all know that. The user experience between a desktop Mac and a well put together Windows PC is world's apart and expect that gap to widen.

As for the sync of files between systems, I know, it is done now, I do it myself. But I think that with the tablet it'll be even more transparent to the user or the method of syncing and selecting files to sync will be made much easier still.

E.g. in iTunes, you can let iTunes decide what to sync, or you can take manual control and tick only those items you want sync'ed to your mobile device, be it an iPod, iPhone etc. But I think they will, of course, always have that capability, but maybe add a more intelligent auto option. I.e. any files worked on or viewed in past three months = sync, something like that. Or a sync everything, but as space becomes a problem, then priority goes to latest viewed, played items.
Old 04 January 2010, 12:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Take a look at Homesharing, it was added to iTunes a little while back. I just click Homesharing and it shows me what's on my iMac that's not on my Macbook or visa versa, select songs and movies and hit the button to sync. That's almost perfect, but a little more automation won't go amiss.
Old 09 January 2010, 12:30 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

If it's half the things Ian speculates then i would be interested for the right price, was looking at the Sony eBook readers and would be prepared to pay a bit more for a few extra bits, will keep an eye on it for sure.
Old 21 January 2010, 09:28 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

mmmmm could this be it

Old 21 January 2010, 09:57 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It is alleged it is. Looks like iPad might well be the name as well, and I hope it is as iSlate just doesn't sound right.

It is rumored that OS 4.0 will be released at the same time, which would make sense as there would need to be an updated OS, plus, you wouldn't release the SDK beforehand as it would have references to the pad in it as the touch/phone/pad would share the same OS and you know the geeks would "out" the references in there.
Old 22 January 2010, 07:28 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Either they're FOOKIN big earbuds, or you're going to need surgical precision / cocktail sticks for fingers......
Old 22 January 2010, 08:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Rumored size is about 10 inches from what I recall. I think they are going to call it iPad as a) it's a better sounding name than iSlate, and b) They don't really want to call it a tablet as it really isn't a true tablet if it is indeed 10 inches in size. I'd consider a true tablet to be at least 12 ≥ 14 inches, which would make it more usable than a 10 incher. c) It'd have to run a fairly full version of OS X if it were a true tablet, as iPhone OS is pretty cut down to cope with limited resources on a mobile device, and if it didn't run a full OS then it would be of limited use.
Old 22 January 2010, 11:45 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

But then fingers work on the iphone screen and keyboard perfectly fine, which both are rumoured to use the same OS, and thats only 3.5", i don't think that'll be an issue at all, plus i think the mock up is smaller than it'll actually be, as the cup also looks large in comparison, good effort but not true to size, my opinion of course.
Old 26 January 2010, 08:13 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Sorry I got the picture wrong, this is the real picture now with correct dimensions

Old 26 January 2010, 09:51 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Yeah - but that is one of the dwarf cats that is only 4 inches long
Old 27 January 2010, 05:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Bumpity bump, bump, Apple event is just 5 mins away.
Old 27 January 2010, 06:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Live update here

Steve's opening comments included this:

We want to kick of 2010 by introducing a magical and revolutionary product today.

I'd say that's the iPad then
Old 27 January 2010, 06:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thank ****! They have called it the iPad

Oh and **** me is it bigger than I thought!

Quick Reply: The forthcoming iSlate or tablet ?