Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help- trying to access website.... probs.

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2009, 07:14 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help- trying to access website.... probs.

Anyone suggestion what could be wrong here - trying to access disQworld :: CD, DVD and Computer Discussion Forums from my pc, normally have no probs accessing the site but for the last 24 hours whenever I try to get onto the site I get the windows could not connect white screen. thinking it was just a problem at the server end I thought no more about it till I was speaking to a friend tonight who mentioned that he had been on the above site today. seems he can access the site no problem. tried the other pc in the house - a laptop running vista and yep no probs, third netbook - running xp - again no probs getting onto site just this main pc that refuses to connect to just this one site.

have been running a few programmes since then to get rid off cookies etc ( cc cleaner etc ) but still no joy. tried running on firefox but again nothing same error message.

so okay any ideas what could be preventing my pc connecting to this particular site ?? even tried turning off firewall but again no joy !!!

help !!!!
Old 13 December 2009, 08:23 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay just tried one off thse change your ip software titles with the above site and guess what ?? can now get onto the site again??!!

so okay there is no reason my ip would be banned from the site so why should my pc not connect to this particular website and what can I do to rectify the problem other than turning on this block ip software all the time ??!!
Old 13 December 2009, 08:29 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Flush the dns on the affected machine. In dos ipconfig /flushdns
Old 13 December 2009, 08:41 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Flush the dns on the affected machine. In dos ipconfig /flushdns
Okay thanks mate at the risk off appearing a complete numpty !!!! any chance off a detailed step by step on the above process ??
Old 13 December 2009, 08:52 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Goto start menu/run type cmd (dos prompt). Then type ipconfig /flushdns. Now try the website as normal.
Old 14 December 2009, 06:21 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Perfect mate worked a treat- appreciatte that.
Old 15 December 2009, 07:48 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Spoke to soon !! no longer connecting again, tried your suggestion again but no joy this time, again other computers in the house are all connecting without problems. any idaes to try now ??
Old 15 December 2009, 08:12 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

mmmm well u could try the winsock repair/reset malarky.

How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

Specifically this might do it,
Note Restart the computer after you run this command. Additionally, for computers that are running Windows XP SP2, there is a new netsh command that can rebuild the Winsock key. For more information, visit the following Web site:

Part 2: Network Protection Technologies

Warning Programs that access or monitor the Internet such as antivirus, firewall, or proxy clients may be negatively affected when you run the netsh winsock reset command. If you have a program that no longer functions correctly after you use this resolution, reinstall the program to restore functionality.

netsh winsock reset at the command prompt
Old 15 December 2009, 08:14 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Also check for malware on the affected machine,

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Reviews and free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware downloads at Download.com
Old 15 December 2009, 09:18 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks for that, yep ran all spyware / malware checks with nothing detected, will have a read off your second last post again and try and digest the info / links !!

will keep u posted !!

p.s Bit strange that flushing the dns cleared the problem and yet the very same site is causing the exact same problem again is it not ?? come across this particular thing before mate ?? as I say every other site is fine just this one particular website on this particular pc !!
Old 15 December 2009, 10:49 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Yes I have and it's usually a corrupt winsock or malware if flushing the DNS doesn't work. From dos just run that cmd. netsh winsock reset

Keeping in mind that it might affect some of your applications that connect to the net. But usually it's ok.
Old 15 December 2009, 11:04 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Yes I have and it's usually a corrupt winsock or malware if flushing the DNS doesn't work. From dos just run that cmd. netsh winsock reset

Keeping in mind that it might affect some of your applications that connect to the net. But usually it's ok.
Okay sorry you say when I get the dos screen type netsh winsock reset. as it is written ie spaces or forward slash or what ?? sorry but total novice in this side off computers and dont want to make matters worse by typing in something that changes something for the worse !!!
Old 15 December 2009, 11:44 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay done what you said above then switched pc off and then back on again , tried the internet site that was causing the problem and unfortunatly still not showing up. going to run another malwarebytes scan tonight and see if it comes up with anything but certainly was clean a few days ago.

thanks for your continued support hopefully get to the bottom off this one !!!

p.s tried to run my malwarebyes programme under safe mode the other night but could not see the programme showing up within safe mode so had to do it when pc was fully loaded up, how can I make sure the programme will show up in safe mode ??

Last edited by jono300; 15 December 2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 15 December 2009, 11:56 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

I'm at a loss now mate. If the PC can see all other sites n not just that one it makes no sense after resetting the dns n winsock. Clear the cache in your browser next.
Old 16 December 2009, 12:18 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Is the PC that cant see the site using the same DNS servers as the ones that can?

What is set in your network connections LAN or wifi connection -> properties -> TCP/IP 4
where is says DNS server?

Try Googles : 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Old 16 December 2009, 05:07 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay quick update guys, cleared the cache as you suggested and guess what ?? yep working a treat again !!! strange as I tried that the other day but guess thats computers for you !!!

okay as I say when I tried to run malwarebytes in safe mode I could not actually find the programme in safe mode, any advice on how to get the programme showing within safe mode as would really like to do a scan in safe mode now and again and as you know some malware will require safe mode to actually get rid off it via this software.

any suggestions ??
Old 16 December 2009, 06:11 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

From start run again type \Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ then run mbam.exe

The clearing of cache combined with the DNS flush is probably why it is now working btw.
Old 16 December 2009, 11:21 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Perfect, again thanks so much for that, would have honestly been lost without your help !!!

john