Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

computer making a strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2009, 01:41 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer making a strange noise

As above.

It's ok normally but when playing games online or watching a video on you tube or the like, there is a strange high pitch buzzing/whinnig noise coming fron the computer

I dont know what make the computer or any of the gubbns inside are as it was one that a guy built himself.

just wondered if anyone had any ideas as it's making sneaky **** watching impossible.

Another thing it does when i using certain things on photoshop.

Last edited by D4VEW557; 14 November 2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 14 November 2009, 02:22 PM
cusackd
Scooby Regular

Under high load could be a fan on graphics card or processor has it always done it?
Old 14 November 2009, 02:29 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

no i have had it about year and it only started a couple of weeks ago.

i dont think its the fan, it is very easy to see the fan and the noise isn't coming from that area the processer sounds possible though
Old 14 November 2009, 03:31 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

i'll give it ago. it looks pretty dusty in there.
Old 14 November 2009, 03:54 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

My GTX graphics card makes a bit of a squeely noise depending on the amount of graphics on the screen.

Apparently it seams like its quite normal (although annoying)
Old 14 November 2009, 04:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

My PSU has started squeeling doing it when the graphics card is under load.

Annoying as hell.

I think its when the glue on the toridial chokes/inductors breaks down (laymens: gubbins within the PSU), allowing the coils to vibrate/resonate with the PWM frequency of the PSU (laymens: squeel/buzz ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 November 2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 14 November 2009, 06:14 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

My quick look into the cause pretty much gave the same reply as yours to be honest

Mine never did it on the old PSU, i fitted a new one and it started squeeling, at first i thought it was a dodgy fan, till i stopped them all

Heard some crazy stories of people coating the chokes in all kids of stuff from hotglue to nail polish, and decieded to just leave it alone

Although my research led me to belive it was the actual GFX card that was squeeling (sounds like it)
IIRC it is to do with the amount of FPS it pushes out, you can lock the FPS down in some games and it will give you a constant noise, instead of one varying in pitch

Last edited by StickyMicky; 14 November 2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 15 November 2009, 08:44 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

ok had a look inside the computer today. there are lots of fans inside there, but the noise is actully coming from a small buzzer plugged in to the motherboard.

not sure its purpose. any idea's?
Old 15 November 2009, 09:06 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Is it the "legacy" speaker? 4 pin plug on the end, with nothing in the centre two pins?

If it is, it doesn't do much other than beep when the computer is switched on these days. Shouldn't be a problem to unplug it.
Old 15 November 2009, 10:55 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john_s
Is it the "legacy" speaker? 4 pin plug on the end, with nothing in the centre two pins?

If it is, it doesn't do much other than beep when the computer is switched on these days. Shouldn't be a problem to unplug it.

yes that sounds like the boy. i was worried it was some kind of warning buzzer to alert to over heating processer or something.

i unplugged it anyway
Old 16 November 2009, 12:05 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

They sometimes do give fault code bleeps but they are next to useless anyway.

If its a modern AMD or Intel, it will have built in overheat protection anyway: An oldie for the geeks: CPU Cooler Removed - Video

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 November 2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 16 November 2009, 12:11 AM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

first let me say i know nothing about computers, but seen as i had the cover off it today i decided to have a play and took it to bits and gave it a good clean out.

I removed the fan/heatsink from the processor now i know there is some kind of heat paste that goes betwenn these will i have to put some new on there now i have disturbed it or will it be ok
Old 16 November 2009, 01:49 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Technically whenever you reove heatskins you should clean off the old paste (with isoproply) and put some new paste on (you only need a very very tiny amount).

However as long as you haven't toched the paste or wiped it you can get away with it. It depends on what CPU it is and how hot they typically run.

Wouldn't advise removing a heatsink unless the CPU is suffering obvious temp issues; Especially if its an Intel with the 775 socket (4 plastic pins that press down) as they can be a bugger to lock into place properly (stupid design - push down two pins, then the other two pop out ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 November 2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 16 November 2009, 07:51 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Technically whenever you reove heatskins you should clean off the old paste (with isoproply) and put some new paste on (you only need a very very tiny amount).

However as long as you haven't toched the paste or wiped it you can get away with it. It depends on what CPU it is and how hot they typically run.

Wouldn't advise removing a heatsink unless the CPU is suffering obvious temp issues; Especially if its an Intel with the 775 socket (4 plastic pins that press down) as they can be a bugger to lock into place properly (stupid design - push down two pins, then the other two pop out ).

it is one of those with the four plastic pins. yes they were a bit of a sh8t to get back in