Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Fancy an Iphone on Orange?

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2009, 11:33 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face Fancy an Iphone on Orange?

This may put you off

UK: Orange Defends 750 MB Fair Use Policy For iPhone Users

Orange UK has defended plans to impose a 750 MB monthly data download via its 3G network limit for iPhone customers, reports the Times. The plans have been attacked by potential customers via online blogs and Twitter, who accused the operator of imposing data restrictions despite advertising 'unlimited' downloads.

Orange defended the plans, insisting that an average iPhone customers is highly unlikely to exceed the 750 MB capacity. Orange UK's director of portals, products and services, Paul Jevons, told the paper that the 750 MB was a 'generous fair use policy' and insisted that the vast majority of its iPhone customers would not be affected. Jevons said the fair use policy was meant to stop the 3G network from being clogged up by customers streaming massive amounts of music and video. In addition to the 750 MB 3G network data allowance, iPhone customers will also get 750 MB via public Wi-Fi networks.

There will also be no limits on data usage via private Wi-Fi networks in customers' homes. A company spokesperson told the paper that analysis of customer use across other markets where Orange sells the iPhone shows average use of 200 MB of data. The company also said it was amending its terms and conditions ahead of the UK launch of iPhone on 11 November and would not block access to popular websites

Tony
Old 10 November 2009, 08:26 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL - chocolate teapot springs to mind.....

Wonder what the other network providers will do, as Orange have plainly misunderstood their iphone customers/users, and have dropped the resulting ball.

O2 may not be perfect, but it's still looking good
Old 11 November 2009, 05:49 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

LOL, got to laugh at this.

I use an Android phone on Vodafone with a mix of Wifi and 3G for my data. Phone is going non-stop downloading apps, email etc. and I average about 40Mb of usage a month for data over 3G and that is mainly mapping tiles for Google Maps when on the move.

How you would ever hit a 750Mb limit I don't know. I guess yes you could download *everything* via 3G but that would just bore me to death, 3G is too slow.

I have used my phone tethered to my netbook for surfing while away from Wifi but wouldn't do it for more than a few minutes/in an emergency as it's like being on the end of an old dial-up modem :-))
Old 11 November 2009, 05:58 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I think the issue being that wifi hotspots aren't as widely available as in say, the big cities. So 3g is the next best option. Obviously travelling will rack up some usage on 3g (train). Streaming tv etc can be quite intensive too. I would actually say that your usage Ian is pretty low compared to a fair few users.

Then there's the whole "unlimited" issue/con ie it isn't unlimited!
Old 11 November 2009, 06:00 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Ps no offence intended!
Old 11 November 2009, 06:33 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I obviously don't spank my 3G connection enough. I've got a $30/6GB per month plan (Rogers offered it as a special deal for a limited time) and since June when I got the 3GS, I've received a total of 700MB. I've watched the odd youtube thing, streamed video (mainly shuttle launches via Akamai) and downloaded apps. I've surfed and also read email. So nothing overly data intensive.

One thing worthy of note, without using 3G Unrestictor (you'd need to jailbreak and then buy it) Youtube won't display HD content, plus you're limited to a max of 10MB per file for downloads from the AppStore and iTunes.

I do know people who sit on Youtube constantly, so they are probably hitting the data bucket pretty hard.

I really do dislike the term "unlimited" when it's clear that it's not. At least be honest and say "A maximum of 750MB per month, overages charged at X". It is a con, but it has to be legal due to the fine print, otherwise they would be forced to change it.
Old 11 November 2009, 07:12 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought i used my iphone abot, but just checked and i have reviced a total of 114mb since i brought it when it 3gs came out!! better get downloading more lol
Old 12 November 2009, 10:42 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
LOL, got to laugh at this.

I use an Android phone on Vodafone with a mix of Wifi and 3G for my data. Phone is going non-stop downloading apps, email etc. and I average about 40Mb of usage a month for data over 3G and that is mainly mapping tiles for Google Maps when on the move.

How you would ever hit a 750Mb limit I don't know. I guess yes you could download *everything* via 3G but that would just bore me to death, 3G is too slow.

I have used my phone tethered to my netbook for surfing while away from Wifi but wouldn't do it for more than a few minutes/in an emergency as it's like being on the end of an old dial-up modem :-))
I have to admit my useage on my WinMo 6.5 phone is pretty similar, according to my bill this month, I used 31MB on my Vodafone contract.

That is my email being downloaded every 15 minutes, a daily backup of my phone to an online provider as well!

750MB of 3G data is a hell of a lot a month really.