Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Desktop just died, any ideas ?~

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2009, 03:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Desktop just died, any ideas ?~

Couple of years back I bought a Medion PC from Tesco's, good spec apart from graphics, so that got upgraded to an 8800 GT.

Its never been much cop, the HD failed just out of warranty so I put a new one in having ghosted the duff one across, today it has just decided to not come on, no video, it starts, fans spin up, then stop then it starts again and carries on again no output and then just sit their fans spinning but doing nothing.

Now, I can go and buy another one but was happy with this in terms of it doing its job, its plays all the games at decent speed and detail so any ideas of whats up with it.

The fans were a bit clogged so have cleaned those out, re-seated all the components, have tried disconnecting stuff but hasnt made any difference.

Dont want to spend any money on it, will just break it for parts and buy a new one, so any suggestions as to what to get < £500 for a base unit.
Old 01 November 2009, 03:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, cheers , dont have a spare pci-e card around but I tried removing the memory and it made no difference, dont think its the gfx card as the problem is the same whatever I do, boot it without it starts, stops then starts again the same as before.
Old 01 November 2009, 05:07 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be either the card, or possibly a faulty PSU, I had a similar thing when mine went.... I'd imagine the 8800 has a direct power feed to it from the PSU, so could be that...